Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Murder hobos vs CG piracy

Originally Posted by Vorxian View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the message Sandro-

The seal clubbing reference is good news. BUT will karma consequences be proportional to the crime? i.e. if a victim is flying a sidewinder and gets clubbed, will there be a default karma hit?.. conversely, if the victim is flying a trading cutter and standing to receive a net loss of 70m credits for the pleasure of being seal... will the consequence to the attacker be proportional to the net loss of the victim? As a victim, I'd want the attacker to take such a severe hit that he'd probably wished he hadn't done it... I'm still standing to be 70m worse off, however. (shame the bill can't be covered by the aggressor as an illegal attack if not done in an anarchy / no power held system)
    I hope not. If you have enough for a cutter you should be senior enough to evade just about any gank attempt, unless you're min maxing for cargo. Much worst karma should go to the one in the cutter seal clubbing a harmless Sidey. I also hope it varies by the status of the system. If it's thrown into anarchy, then all bets (and Karma) should be off. In high sec it should be worse than low sec, etc.
    Rebuy cost should be based on the ship the ganker was in (and it's cost) when they committed the gank, therefore avoiding the suicidewinder exploit. That some doof in a Cutter didn't have his or her wits about them and lost 70 million in the process is their problem.
    Also, I hope it doesn't lean solely on the rebuy price. The notion of deadlier and deadlier NPC bounty hunters potentially chasing a bad boy commander across the galaxy is kind of awesome.

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander urth!

If you are not destroying ships, it's our intention that the karma system should not really affect you. Most likely we will want to track damage as well, but in general, if you're reasonably effective at taking out drives and using limpets, only the normal crime rules should trigger (you'll be subject to a bounty).

When it comes to "griefing", ship destruction, catastrophic damage and significant disparity between ship strength and player stats are the kinds of things that karma is interested in.

If we end up punishing the behaviour you describe when you pirate, we will be doing it wrong.
    Hm ok, this sounds promising. I just hope that the Karma consequences will also be significant.

Best regards

Originally Posted by Ozram View Post (Source)
    I hope not. If you have enough for a cutter you should be senior enough to evade just about any gank attempt, unless you're min maxing for cargo. Much worst karma should go to the one in the cutter seal clubbing a harmless Sidey. I also hope it varies by the status of the system. If it's thrown into anarchy, then all bets (and Karma) should be off. In high sec it should be worse than low sec, etc.
    Rebuy cost should be based on the ship the ganker was in (and it's cost) when they committed the gank, therefore avoiding the suicidewinder exploit. That some doof in a Cutter didn't have his or her wits about them and lost 70 million in the process is their problem.
    Also, I hope it doesn't lean solely on the rebuy price. The notion of deadlier and deadlier NPC bounty hunters potentially chasing a bad boy commander across the galaxy is kind of awesome.
    Exactly!
    It shouldn't be about protecting carebear investments, but protecting new players from people who would essentially bully them.
    Elite Dangerous short stories:
    https://voidstarblog.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by ErichZann View Post (Source)
    Hm ok, this sounds promising. I just hope that the Karma consequences will also be significant.

Best regards
    Not being able to suicidewinder your way out of a murder bounty is pretty significant. Add to that engineered bounty hunters and it starts looking pretty significant... and fair.

Originally Posted by Soopyyy View Post (Source)
    Exactly!
    It shouldn't be about protecting carebear investments, but protecting new players from people who would essentially bully them.
    Indeed!

Originally Posted by Ozram View Post (Source)
    Well even I have come a cropper after being duo'd by a couple of commanders in heavily armed cliche ships. I do not engineer myself, so as much as I like to claim my trading baby is invulnerable, it's a false prophecy, and a dangerous thing to assume my ship is going to keep me safe.

What I'm looking for is reassurance that my death is going to satisfactorily avenged if I am ganked out of existence in an encounter my trusted baby is out-matched, where I am law abiding, pose no threat, have no previous convictions, and am squeaky clean in a system that I should be safe within (King in Empire, and I think the emperor himself would be having kittens if one of his super senior inner circle was killed in cold blood flying an imperial flagship vessel)..

Perhaps my logic is clouded.. in which case i'll hang my head low in shame!

An interesting idea.
    If you are ranked at "King" or whatever faction rank, and are ganked "improperly(?)", be cool if that had repercussions with aligned security services or Cmdr's of the same faction like a increased bond or something.

Well even I have come a cropper after being duo'd by a couple of commanders in heavily armed cliche ships. I do not engineer myself, so as much as I like to claim my trading baby is invulnerable, it's a false prophecy, and a dangerous thing to assume my ship is going to keep me safe.

What I'm looking for is reassurance that my death is going to satisfactorily avenged if I am ganked out of existence in an encounter my trusted baby is out-matched, where I am law abiding, pose no threat, have no previous convictions, and am squeaky clean in a system that I should be safe within (King in Empire, and I think the emperor himself would be having kittens if one of his super senior inner circle was killed in cold blood flying an imperial flagship vessel)..

Perhaps my logic is clouded.. in which case i'll hang my head low in shame!

http://static.t13.cl/images/original...53034599-3.jpg
    Not the fault of the gankers if youi refuse to give your ship the love it deserves with some nice little upgrades.

Originally Posted by Pyrobee View Post (Source)
    Not the fault of the gankers if youi refuse to give your ship the love it deserves with some nice little upgrades.
    some things are just way too much in time investment Aint nobody got time for that.. (que youtube video)

Not completly the fault of the ganker.

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    An interesting idea.
    If you are ranked at "King" or whatever faction rank, and are ganked "improperly(?)", be cool if that had repercussions with aligned security services or Cmdr's of the same faction like a increased bond or something.
    I agree it would be good to add a little gameplay around the naval ranks. I could see there being 'consequenses' to ganking an Admiral or King that might lessen the karma hit (because anyone with that rank should be very familiar with the game), but more 'in-game' consequence like more aggressive bounty hunters etc.

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    An interesting idea.
    I'd always wondered that. Shoot a nobody on the street and yeah a detective may be assigned to figure out who did it, and make a half hearted attempt to bring some slapped wrist to bear as justice.

Shoot a member of the royal family... and whoa. You're going to have the whole commonwealth, MI6, MI5, MI4 (they'll probably invent one just for you) MI3, MI2 and MI1.. they'll be relentlessly tracking you day and night, and when caught regular justice is going to not exist.. likely you'll be the first in a long time to undergo capital punishment at the tower of London.

ergo... someone murdering an imperial 'king' in cold blood should be the last mistake the attacker ever does in ED ! (gamey or not) lol

Well... sort of atleast you'd think attacking an imperial king would have repercussions...

some things are just way too much in time investment Aint nobody got time for that.. (que youtube video)
    G3DD from felicity really don't take that much effort.

G3DD from felicity really don't take that much effort.
    I was like....

...getting to level one on my FSD upgrade.... decided it wasn't for me

I'd always wondered that. Shoot a nobody on the street and yeah a detective may be assigned to figure out who did it, and make a half hearted attempt to bring some slapped wrist to bear as justice.

Shoot a member of the royal family... and whoa. You're going to have the whole commonwealth, MI6, MI5, MI4 (they'll probably invent one just for you) MI3, MI2 and MI1.. they'll be relentlessly tracking you day and night, and when caught regular justice is going to not exist.. likely you'll be the first in a long time to undergo capital punishment at the tower of London.

ergo... someone murdering an imperial 'king' in cold blood should be the last mistake the attacker ever does in ED ! (gamey or not) lol

Well... sort of atleast you'd think attacking an imperial king would have repercussions...
    If your rank actually meant anything, you might have a point. In reality though, if someone is ganking your Cutter, they're probably not some low ranking "nobody" in the eyes of the empire or federation. So maybe it would be an act of war... but your title grants you nothing but access to a ship, and you just lost that.

Good thing the empire doesn't hold you accountable for such losses.

Now there is an idea.

Lose your precious rank locked ship? Lose rank.

It makes perfect sense.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast