Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 113

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Karma v C&P: What player activities belong to which mechanism?

  1. #46
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    That would probably be gamed by players seeking to improve their karma among friends.
    That's a fairly obvious consideration and would assumedly only apply to a rare few situations it cannot be abused, and is intended to encourage honourable playing.

    The example I gave was the one initially put forward and is one with far fewer obvious channels for abuse, as it requires ship destruction. For players with negative karma, that are already subject to potential insurance penalties, allowing your ship to be "honourably" destroyed is only bringing your karma-based punishment on yourself sooner - and not to your benefit...
    "Please replace these components if use causes fatal damage: HEAT SINK. MAGAZINE. OPERATOR"

  2. #47
    This is a DIRECT question about Piracy based on these lines only by Sandro

    * Attacking a clean ship when massively overpowered would get minor bad karma
    * Repeatedly attacking clean ships that you massively overpowered would get you major bad karma

    Seeing as you have mass-lock, you need a larger and because of the way your game is designed will be inherently "Overpowered" ship, this will apply to virtually ALL piracy.

    Because you have highwake, you have limited time to make your demands and then deal out any penalty for non-compliance. Again an "Overpowered" ship is required for this.

    How exactly is Karma NOT going to kill Piracy then?

    I can see a way around it, we just have a small weaker ship in the wing that delivers any killshots.. But that isn't the point that's just us exploiting your mechanic
    Original 1984 Player

    Reeeeeeeeeeeee

  3. #48
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    That would probably be gamed by players seeking to improve their karma among friends.
    Afaik initial post about this said there wouldn't be any way to get positive karma. I might be wrong though. Positive karma might be even harder to detect - especially with people gaming system - than negative behaviour.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

  4. #49
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    I'd like to see it in the same way you see the combat rating.


    CMDR MAYNARD
    DANGEROUS
    BOUNDER
    PLEASE LET BOUNDER BE ON THE 'LIST'!!!

    ** and CAD, ROTTER, SCOUNDREL
    /\ Hail Triangulus! \/

  5. #50
    Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    I can see a way around it, we just have a small weaker ship in the wing that delivers any killshots.. But that isn't the point that's just us exploiting your mechanic
    Which would drive the need for all Wing members receive the same karmic hit.

  6. #51
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Which would drive the need for all Wing members receive the same karmic hit.
    All for one, and one for all.

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    All for one, and one for all.
    It would probably need to be extended to recent Wing members too - knowing the methods that players can use to get more than four players into a particular instance.

  8. #53
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    It would probably need to be extended to recent Wing members too - knowing the methods that players can use to get more than four players into a particular instance.
    Yes could, should, would, maybe etc.

    My point being, (nicely done ignoring the rest of the post. Thanks..)

    There will be a way around it for a GRIEFER group to kill with impunity. Just look at the station speed limits.. You know its going to happen, it will take months to get patched and then they will think of something else. Circle repeats and all this time people think Karma is C&P
    Original 1984 Player

    Reeeeeeeeeeeee

  9. #54
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Would that PF Rating be instantly visibly on selecting the ship on the scanner?
    Might be worth replacing the animated Elite rank logo on the contact's HUD billboard that doesn't seem to be useful for anything...

    I do hope that a cockpit UI refactor is somewhere in the roadmap. After the 1.1 rework, it feels like every new feature is being banged in at the top level, making it more and more crowded - Galactic Powers, Holo-Me, Engineers, ship names outside the UI boxes!, whereas the subtarget and cargo tabs on the left UI panel have been untouched since Premium Beta.

  10. This is the last staff post in this thread. #55
    Sandro Sammarco is offline
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee
    Hello Commander Robert Maynard!

    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Would that PF Rating be instantly visibly on selecting the ship on the scanner?
    Now that's the real interesting question. We haven’t decided yet. There are pros and cons for various levels of visibility. For example, you could even change the sensor signature if you wanted folk to know instantly if a Commander had a particularly bad rating. I'm sure we'll be discussing this at length here in the future .

  11. #56
    Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander Robert Maynard!



    Now that's the real interesting question. We haven’t decided yet. There are pros and cons for various levels of visibility. For example, you could even change the sensor signature if you wanted folk to know instantly if a Commander had a particularly bad rating. I'm sure we'll be discussing this at length here in the future .
    Indeed!

    Changing the sensor signature (or even shape - a hexagon for stowed and a hexagon with a "point" for deployed", maybe) sounds like an interesting option too....

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    Yes could, should, would, maybe etc.

    My point being, (nicely done ignoring the rest of the post. Thanks..)

    There will be a way around it for a GRIEFER group to kill with impunity. Just look at the station speed limits.. You know its going to happen, it will take months to get patched and then they will think of something else. Circle repeats and all this time people think Karma is C&P
    Christ on a bike...yeah, sure, let's just not bother and leave the situation as it is, because it's all so splendid right now.

    They've already said it won't be right first time, and it will probably be the case that it'll need constant attention to adapt to new strategies, but by Zod I'd rather they tried and failed than just rolled over and left it as it is, the way you seem to want them to.

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  13. #58
    Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    Yes could, should, would, maybe etc.

    My point being, (nicely done ignoring the rest of the post. Thanks..)

    There will be a way around it for a GRIEFER group to kill with impunity. Just look at the station speed limits.. You know its going to happen, it will take months to get patched and then they will think of something else. Circle repeats and all this time people think Karma is C&P
    I understand you desire to leave things are there now, but they certainly won't stay that way. You might have invested a lot in status quo, but Karma system has been hinted for quite a time now, and you knew this day will come. So cut off dramatics.

    Station speed limits have certainly made collisions less likely. Ok, as we still have Sidewinder option to clean off bounties, it is not in full effect, but when it will, I certainly see that limiting griefers options.

    Karma is about consequences. Always have been. So it is definitely P in C&P system.

    As for people trying to get around system - of course they will try, but way it will be implemented I don't see much of success there.

    Also using overpowered ship to do "pirating" is really not pirating, but more on finding excuse to 'killing' players imho.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    I understand you desire to leave things are there now, but they certainly won't stay that way. You might have invested a lot in status quo, but Karma system has been hinted for quite a time now, and you knew this day will come. So cut off dramatics.

    Station speed limits have certainly made collisions less likely. Ok, as we still have Sidewinder option to clean off bounties, it is not in full effect, but when it will, I certainly see that limiting griefers options.

    Karma is about consequences. Always have been. So it is definitely P in C&P system.

    As for people trying to get around system - of course they will try, but way it will be implemented I don't see much of success there.

    Also using overpowered ship to do "pirating" is really not pirating, but more on finding excuse to 'killing' players imho.
    While I realise that people have selective reading on this forum.

    MAYBE got back to my original post to which this has derailed from.

    Wouldnt that be great.
    Original 1984 Player

    Reeeeeeeeeeeee

  15. #60
    Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    While I realise that people have selective reading on this forum.

    MAYBE got back to my original post to which this has derailed from.

    Wouldnt that be great.
    Yes, how dare the thread deviate from what you have sanctioned it to be.

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast