Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 113

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Karma v C&P: What player activities belong to which mechanism?

  1. #31
    Originally Posted by CMDR_Elver View Post (Source)
    Karma implies death & rebirth!
    I think the implication here is that is persists past "death" (we don't die, the magic escape pod takes us to safety) unlike other in game punishments like bounties.

  2. #32
    Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post (Source)
    Logging out of combat via the menu should have a karma hit too.. It may be within the rules, but that doesn't make it a desirable action (like two of the three activities you listed).
    In another thread Sandro mentioned the possibility of a small karma hit for using delayed menu exit (and talked about increasing the timer) - he also mentioned the possibility of the karma hit for actual Combat Logging being reduced when attacked by a low(er?) karma player.

    We'll see how it goes....

  3. #33
    Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post (Source)
    Logging out of combat via the menu should have a karma hit too.. It may be within the rules, but that doesn't make it a desirable action (like two of the three activities you listed).
    I don't see this happening but I also don't believe the current system works well.

    What needs to happen: timer increased to minimum 30 seconds, preferably 60 seconds.

    When that timer runs out, auto logout occurs for the user.

    As an ex-pirate and whatever myself, I am very opposed to CLing, but understand FD's reason for implementation of a menu log "for when real life happens". However it currently doesn't even work for that - you have to hang around and wait for the 15 secs to expire anyway.

    A lot would be solved with a longer logout time, so that the player logging has sufficient enough time it isn't just a reliable escape mechanism, but no matter where or what screen they are on when the timer runs out it auto-logs for them.

    "Damn, the plumbing just went and this house is soon gonna be two feet below water level? Menu, leave, let's go do something about it". But if you want to use it for running away...a minute's a much worse length of time to be undefended, and encourages real escape attempts.

  4. #34
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    In another thread Sandro mentioned the possibility of a small karma hit for using delayed menu exit (and talked about increasing the timer)
    I hope so...

    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    - he also mentioned the possibility of the karma hit for actual Combat Logging being reduced when attacked by a low(er?) karma player.
    That would be a mistake.. All that would happen here is players would get the signal from FDev that clogging on pirates is ok (current system proposed by SS would leave many pirates with low karma).

    Combat logging should always receive a heavy karma penalty because it's the only action listed by Sandro that is outside of the rules.

  5. #35
    Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post (Source)
    That would be a mistake.. All that would happen here is players would get the signal from FDev that clogging on pirates is ok (current system proposed by SS would leave many pirates with low karma).
    I'd see it more as a "Combat Logging is not good but what the other player was doing is worse so there'll be less of a consequence on this occasion".

    Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post (Source)
    Combat logging should always receive a heavy karma penalty because it's the only action listed by Sandro that is outside of the rules.
    Proving, beyond doubt, that a lost connection was actually Combat Logging would seem to be the issue, especially if a heavy karma penalty would be (possibly incorrectly) applied.

  6. #36
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Proving, beyond doubt, that a lost connection was actually Combat Logging would seem to be the issue, especially if a heavy karma penalty would be (possibly incorrectly) applied.
    I would assume that some kind of trend criteria would be satisfied first; 'Player x has lost connection when attacked by other players three times in succession : negative karma applied'

  7. #37
    Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post (Source)
    I would assume that some kind of trend criteria would be satisfied first; 'Player x has lost connection when attacked by other players three times in succession : negative karma applied'
    That's how I interpret it too.

    .... I'd add a "bonus" for players that initiate combat then lose connection though.

  8. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #38
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
    Hello Commander Arc!

    The current line of thinking is that the player's karma rating (dressed up as some form of Pilot's Federation rating) will be visible to everyone.

  9. #39
    Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander Arc!

    The current line of thinking is that the player's karma rating (dressed up as some form of Pilot's Federation rating) will be visible to everyone.
    Will it take the form of the current ranking systems? So you'd have "Solid, upstanding citizen" at the top and "Utter Scoundrel" at the bottom? That could be fun.

  10. #40
    Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commander Arc!

    The current line of thinking is that the player's karma rating (dressed up as some form of Pilot's Federation rating) will be visible to everyone.
    Would that PF Rating be instantly visibly on selecting the ship on the scanner?

  11. #41
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Would that PF Rating be instantly visibly on selecting the ship on the scanner?
    I'd like to see it in the same way you see the combat rating.


    CMDR MAYNARD
    DANGEROUS
    BOUNDER

  12. #42
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    Will it take the form of the current ranking systems? So you'd have "Solid, upstanding citizen" at the top and "Utter Scoundrel" at the bottom? That could be fun.
    Just five minutes ago I was remembering that the potential for "positive" karma changes was discussed - for example when someone takes beating like a man.

    Would be interested to know if that's still on the cards.

  13. #43
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    I'd like to see it in the same way you see the combat rating.


    CMDR MAYNARD
    DANGEROUS
    BOUNDER
    ROFL!

    Sadly can't rep!

    You'd be an "Utter Cad", of course....

  14. #44
    Originally Posted by StiTch View Post (Source)
    Just five minutes ago I was remembering that the potential for "positive" karma changes was discussed - for example when someone takes beating like a man.

    Would be interested to know if that's still on the cards.
    That would probably be gamed by players seeking to improve their karma among friends.

  15. #45
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    ROFL!

    Sadly can't rep!

    You'd be an "Utter Cad", of course....
    Nah.

    CMDR GREYAREAUK
    MASTER
    TOTALLY TRUSTWORTHY

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast