Page 4 of 162 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 2428

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Do we have a ETA on the cure for the beige plague?

  1. #46
    I landed on six planets last night. Every one has the same wide and shallow riverbed-type eroded features and craters which absolutely blatantly now include normalisation driven by the overall size of the planet, meaning that no matter how large or small a world is, all of its landscape features are proportionately the same as any other world. You could put pictures of all six next to each other, set them to greyscale to hide the small colour variation and you'd never tell they weren't the same planet.

    That was obviously the 'fix' to take out things like the 80km deep craters you used to find occasionally, and the narrow 16km deep canyons. You know, the interesting stuff that people used to fly a few thousand light years to check out. All that is gone now and before someone comes out with the usual asinine remark about not having looked at every planet in the game, I don't need to because every planet is created by procedural generation and I'm talking about a normalisation function which is part of the proc gen.

    It's completely destroyed my desire to land and drive round. We got fumeroles, geysers etc and I've hardly seen them because I can't be bothered flying down generic shallow canyon #258,712 to have a look. Some of the landscapes we had in the game prior to these two changes, the attempt to fix the odd wacky landscape and the material change, were stunning.

    It really has gone backwards hugely since then and for me at least it would be the absolute top of my list of wanted QOL improvements, about fifteen miles above anything to do with gameplay mechanics. The galaxy is supposed to be the real star of the show in this game and it's been systematically trashed over the course of the last year.

  2. #47
    Originally Posted by Darth Krayt View Post (Source)
    I fear you may be right.
    Priorities at Frontier at the moment are probably Thargoids and the upcoming karma system.
    I'm hoping that doesn't matter. IIRC there are a couple of devs whose focus is on the generation of planets, and maybe they don't have so many different hats they can't dedicate some time to this.

  3. #48
    Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    I'm hoping that doesn't matter. IIRC there are a couple of devs whose focus is on the generation of planets, and maybe they don't have so many different hats they can't dedicate some time to this.
    Case in point, it took Frontier a year to make the character creator; and yet they consistently rolled out new content throughout the year.

  4. #49
    Originally Posted by Wasp0 View Post (Source)
    i mean the planets in our own Solar System aren't exactly streaming with colour, so why can't we buy into FD vision that this may well be the colours of distant planets.
    Our solar system is a literal explosion of colour.





    That's Io and Callisto. Here's a high res true colour picture of Io - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...true_color.jpg

  5. #50

  6. #51
    Originally Posted by Soopyyy View Post (Source)
    Yeeesh, that's a pretty drastic bug.
    It's a devastating bug for explorers, it has literally killed almost all of my motivation to explore at all in Elite, which means I don't play much Elite anymore. I spent weeks searching for non-beige HMC's and MR's chronicled in my thread here:

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...rath-of-Beige)

    Statistically I determined that about 99% of all HMC's are very much a monotone beige color, with very low color gradation on the surface, and about 85% of MR's are monotone beige too. Update 2.2 drained the color from planet surfaces in the galaxy, bigtime.

    Michael said they knew what was causing it and would fix it down the road, so I am a tad more optmistic than Ziggy on the issue, but he is right, it should be a higher priority than Frontier is making it IMHO. This affects a HUGE part of the game in a massive way, and the fact that it is explorer content rather than combat content should not relegate it to low priortiy status, in my honest and humble opinion.


    I'd love to have an update from Frontier on this issue.

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by CapuchinSeven View Post (Source)
    What does Io look like in the game?

  8. #53
    Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    It's a devastating bug for explorers, it has literally killed almost all of my motivation to explore at all in Elite, which means I don't play much Elite anymore. I spent weeks searching for non-beige HMC's and MR's chronicled in my thread here:

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...rath-of-Beige)

    Statistically I determined that about 99% of all HMC's are very much a monotone beige color, with very low color gradation on the surface, and about 85% of MR's are monotone beige too. Update 2.2 drained the color from planet surfaces in the galaxy, bigtime.

    Michael said they knew what was causing it and would fix it down the road, so I am a tad more optmistic than Ziggy on the issue, but he is right, it should be a higher priority than Frontier is making it IMHO. This affects a HUGE part of the game in a massive way, and the fact that it is explorer content rather than combat content should not relegate it to low priortiy status, in my honest and humble opinion.


    I'd love to have an update from Frontier on this issue.
    Repped...because it really does drain ones motivation to even land nowadays...same old same old beige. Sick of seeing it and Im seeing it every single day fer months beyond count now. Im back playing but I dont do as much driving anymore because I just dont have the motivation to anymore...and driving used to be a big thing fer me, one my favorite past times is now merely done out of necessity because the planets look false and bland ^

    When I gave up playing entirely, the beigification was one the top reasons...even though Im back playing now, things are different from before. The old motivation isnt there anymore and thats entirely the fault of two things, one of which is slightly off topic but very similar issue...planetary dark side not dark anymore. Thats two steps backwards which effectively means the game is uglier now than when I first started.

    Just no motivation to drive around ugly bland planets anymore that arent even remotely realistic imo...even the circus colours of NMS would be better than what we have now ^

  9. #54
    To be honest I could even suck up the colour issues, much as I hate them, were it not for the changes to the terrain generation that sits alongside them. It's the combination of both changes that has rendered (literally lol) the variety we used to see on landing redundant.

    I have pictures in my screenies folder from earlier this year of my SRV sitting in the bottom of a canyon so narrow it feels like I could reach out and touch the walls, with the system's star just off centre ahead of me throwing shadows that highlight the texture variance in the cliff walls, shining through a misty layer of volatiles.

    My Asp landed on a plain of golden yellow sand that looks like a dried lake bed, with burnt sienna mountains rising majestically in the distance.

    My SRV parked on a slightly rising dark greenish plain that suddenly drops away in a sharp cliff edge about 4km high, with the escarpment carrying on into the distance as far as the eye can see.

    All those moments are lost in time, like tears in the rain...

  10. #55
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    I landed on six planets last night. Every one has the same wide and shallow riverbed-type eroded features and craters which absolutely blatantly now include normalisation driven by the overall size of the planet, meaning that no matter how large or small a world is, all of its landscape features are proportionately the same as any other world. You could put pictures of all six next to each other, set them to greyscale to hide the small colour variation and you'd never tell they weren't the same planet.

    That was obviously the 'fix' to take out things like the 80km deep craters you used to find occasionally, and the narrow 16km deep canyons. You know, the interesting stuff that people used to fly a few thousand light years to check out. All that is gone now and before someone comes out with the usual asinine remark about not having looked at every planet in the game, I don't need to because every planet is created by procedural generation and I'm talking about a normalisation function which is part of the proc gen.
    Well said. Honestly the homogenization of the stellar forge terrian is almost worse than the beigeification. Planets lost so much of their variety and character when the interesting terrains disappeared along with the color in 2.2.

  11. #56
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    To be honest I could even suck up the colour issues, much as I hate them, were it not for the changes to the terrain generation that sits alongside them. It's the combination of both changes that has rendered (literally lol) the variety we used to see on landing redundant.

    I have pictures in my screenies folder from earlier this year of my SRV sitting in the bottom of a canyon so narrow it feels like I could reach out and touch the walls, with the system's star just off centre ahead of me throwing shadows that highlight the texture variance in the cliff walls, shining through a misty layer of volatiles.

    My Asp landed on a plain of golden yellow sand that looks like a dried lake bed, with burnt sienna mountains rising majestically in the distance.

    My SRV parked on a slightly rising dark greenish plain that suddenly drops away in a sharp cliff edge about 4km high, with the escarpment carrying on into the distance as far as the eye can see.

    All those moments are lost in time, like tears in the rain...
    Rep is like not enough butter on a big slice of bread...gotta spread it around some more first so heres the middle finger while ye wait...ye know me red so ye know its in the nicest possible way

    Bloody androids ^

  12. #57
    I don't explore at all, so this isn't as much an issue for me as it is others. However, with that said, given the premise of this title I cannot understand why Frontier haven't acted on this sooner. They could at least give an explanation about why it's not been fixed. If it involves work that is required to make future inclusions work, then say so. I am sure the majority of the player base would be happy enough if they knew that it was going to be part of an general overhaul that included more than what we had prior rather than a simple return to what we had prior.

    Every live stream and press release I see, has Frontier crowing about how much they love this title. How much it means to all of them.
    Well, the actual developers seem to pour that into the game and it is obvious that they do. However, once more, It doesn't seem that the design team and management hold the title with the same esteem as is claim. The lack of communication on core, serious, issues and the negligent manner in which changes are made says the total opposite.

  13. #58
    Originally Posted by Soopyyy View Post (Source)
    However, with that said, given the premise of this title I cannot understand why Frontier haven't acted on this sooner. They could at least give an explanation about why it's not been fixed. If it involves work that is required to make future inclusions work, then say so.
    They did. Then the same people that were complaining before are now complaining they dont believe it. So what is the point?

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    They did. Then the same people that were complaining before are now complaining they dont believe it. So what is the point?
    "We'll fix it later/when we get to it" isn't the same as an explantion about why, how and when.

  15. #60
    Originally Posted by Soopyyy View Post (Source)
    "We'll fix it later/when we get to it" isn't the same as an explantion about why, how and when.
    Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    My apologies for not responding sooner, this issue has been on my list to chase up for a while. The reason for the difference being observed on the rocky worlds is the change to the new material system - in theory this is more accurate as it uses the chemical properties to determine the colour (obviously I'm simplifying a bit here!), however the problem is that those colours were based on Earth standard colouration for those materials, and most of those are beige/brown rather than the colours you might observe in the myriad of other possible conditions. We're currently working on a more flexible material system, and this will necessitate a fresh balance pass on these. That's not going to be in 2.3 though.

    Michael
    Why, how and when all appear to be present. The 'When' bit is as accurate as any ETA FDev have given over the past year or so.

    Chasing an update on the matter is a reasonable request but it may be dependant on super secret other stuff they don't want to talk about yet (which I would also like to know). Frustrating for those that consider this a high priority but also understandable & consistent behaviour from FDev.

Page 4 of 162 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast