• 01 - Galactic Midden - Take Off Me by Aaaaaaargh-Ha

2 15.38%
  • 02 - phong - Some Bugs will give you nightmares

3 23.08%
  • 03 - Frank - Playing on the Swings and Roundabouts

2 15.38%
  • 04 - JetsonRING - So Sayeth The Oracle

4 30.77%
  • 05 - Listeri69 - Sitting on the docking bay...

3 23.08%
  • 06 - Simoof - Even in Zero G he was a fatfuq

2 15.38%
  • 07 - Cmdr Pseudonym - Smile for the camera and say plums....

5 38.46%
  • 08 - RoyalHankey - The RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 7.69%
  • 09 - Nat - "Freefall"

6 46.15%
  • 10 - cleonymus - Lost in plain sight.

3 23.08%
  • 11 - insanephoton - Death Notice

4 30.77%
  • 12 - Mindwipe - Where'd I leave my specs

3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Drabble Short Story Contest #209: Loss

Drabble Short Story Contest #209: Loss

This is a Drabble contest. Please vote for your favourite Drabble. The subject this week was picked by last week's winner, Nats, with a fantastic tale that had us enthralled for 100 words.

Her choice was "Loss"

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm BST, Fridays on...
    HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
    LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
    TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
    and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. And a plea to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself.

01 - Galactic Midden - Take Off Me by Aaaaaaargh-Ha

"What's it to be sausage?" the Cheese Wire Assassin asked, "toe? An ear?"

Her naked captive looked away.

"Come now Tex, you gotta choose what to lose. I'd have carved up your innards for working with the Feds but the emperor wants to make you an example".

Tex mumbled through the wire lacerating his mouth.

"Silly me, you've to keep your tongue." she smiled sweetly, "you go, but something stays. Your next words are my instruction".

Tex spat bloodily, "**** off!"

She deftly looped her garrote and a fleshly ploppy sound reverberated through the room. "Happy to oblige my dear sausage".

02 - phong - Some Bugs will give you nightmares

The commander dropped from light speed with a boom and prepped his craft for landing.The lights of the outpost winked invitingly and he thanked the heavens for his safe and prosperous return.His family would be delighted to see him,and the hold was rampacked with goods that would ensure their little corner of the galaxy would thrive and grow for years to come. Landing gear deployed,he drifted towards the pad.
    Eighty kilometers overhead,a skimmer spawned and immediately began falling toward the surface,accelerating rapidly;final destination,a smoking crater and shattered dreams.

03 - Frank - Playing on the Swings and Roundabouts

Harris smiled "I've a hold full of coal."

Sophie frowned "You do realise the whole purpose of this planet is to mine coal for those rich people with their fancy real coal fires? You are literally selling coals to New Newcastle?"

"I paid 400/tonne. What's your offer?"

"250/tonne"

"Great! You can have all of it." He didn't seem at all bothered about the loss. "I noticed in your catalogue you've got mining heads on sale for a limited time? Really? 25 credits per canister?"

Sophie nodded

"I'll take all I can once you've cleared that coal out of my ship."

04 - JetsonRING - So Sayeth The Oracle

Some things, some of Humanity’s better things got lost on our way to the stars once supra-luminal drives were patented and humans gained the ability to travel thousands of light years from Terra, our sense of ecology being one.
    With upwards of four hundred billion systems to choose from, who cares if a few hundred planets get mined out for their gems, or a thousand planet’s oceans polluted in order to extract that rare chemistry,
    or if entire ecosystems on some planets are destroyed forever because we needed that ore?
    Mankind is spreading throughout the galaxy and business is good.

05 - Listeri69 - Sitting on the docking bay...

Simoof waited for the goods patiently in the docking bay.
    he had the flowers and chocolates all wrapped up and ready to go. He'd even booked a room in the not so cheap motel.
    It was going to be a night to remember for the rest of his life.
    the transport dolphin came to a rest meters from where he was standing.
    The doors opened..
    Surely this was some mistake this wasn't susan boils, a middle aged man appeared uttering the words 'I voted for you'
    Simoof shrugged it was no big loss he was still up for the pegging.

06 - Simoof - Even in Zero G he was a fatfuq

"The secret lies in the 4th state of matter, somewhere solid, liquid and gas exist simultaneously."
    Commander Thomas clicked the next slide.
    "This device emits ultrasonic and subsonic frequencies targeting matter, elevating it to this state.
    Friends, family, I show you this timplapse of my transformation over only 4 weeks"
    The room chortled. Then gasped. The results where unbelievable.
    "How much for this?" "What's the new state called?" shouts from around the large hall.
    "First treatment is free!" Tommy flicked a switch.
    "The new state? Oh you'll soon know it's name"
    The room rumbled.
    The room deadened.
    The room sharted.

07 - Cmdr Pseudonym - Smile for the camera and say plums....

Cmdr Skiprat stared at his split sausage.
    Where had it all gone wrong?
    Maybe it was that last gloryhole in Dongkum. It had felt different, like poking warm cream cheese, and not the smooth kind the type with bits of chives in..
    The itching had started a day after, followed by a burning sensation that caused him to scream heat sink deployed as a jet of steaming urine burst out of him.
    he'd returned to the same hole to see who plagued the other side and lost an eye in the process.
    it was at that moment the sausage split...

08 - RoyalHankey - The RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King Henry the XXX was heading back after been pirated before Lavecon.
    He noticed another 3 blips on his scanner
    Right then he was interdicted
    He fought well but failed.
    Black Beard XIX hailed him.
    Hand over 50% of what you got.
    Henry the XXX said "You know who you dealing with here".
    "I'm King Henry the XXX"
    "Yeah and I'm James Bond, likely story......Hand over what you got now"
    "All I got is Psykokow's Broken Computer"
    "Ok that will do"
    "Lads we at least can sell it to the scrap man at Trepin"
    "Waypoint Scoop out of here loser"

09 - Nat - "Freefall"

They hit the atmosphere, re-entry. Suddenly the FDL lost power, they were dropping fast.

“Get in the escape pod, find mum”… Bethan was frantic.

No chance to argue, the Pod launched, she was in freefall … chute deployed.

She felt numb, her dad, what would happen?

She saw smaller ships break away from the Thargoid ship that had attacked, heading for her!

“This is it” she thought, closing her eyes.

Then … the unmistakable roar of her dads ship! Landing Plasma hits on the Thargons!

Touch down, she stumbled out and looked up, to see an explosion and her dads ship gone.

10 - cleonymus - Lost in plain sight.

The commander was still in the Cobra as the rescue crew managed to prize the cargo hatch open and gain entry.
    Crewman James frowned at his colleague as they made their way towards the pilots cabin.
    The door creaked open revealing the worn interior of the old craft. Parts of the console had obviously undergone some kind of repair involving a crowbar and a hammer.
    James reached around to check the pilots pulse then turned away shaking his head.
    How did he described the problem? Extreme blood loss?
    It was not lost.
    The chair was sitting a pool of red.

11 - insanephoton - Death Notice

Someone is at the door. It's the sight I've dreaded. Two smartly dressed Federal navy officers waiting to talk to me. Sick with fear, I ask the question, fearing the answer.
    Their sympathetic words strike like hammer blows, leaving me dazed and broken. The conversation is a blur, only snatches making sense. 'FNS Valiant lost with all hands... no survivors found... missing presumed dead'. It's everything I feared with the cruellest twist, no remains and the nagging hope that just maybe she survived somehow. I know it's a vain hope, but it's better than admitting that my daughter is dead.

12 - Mindwipe - DA FUQ DID I LEAVE MY SPECS

The fall came thick and fast

blind and unskilled he helped set up

King Hankey comenting over why he became a Cmdr thanks to his efforts on the feeds

"what the hell, i have fans?" he thought distracted, as setting up the speakers continued

time went on and the convention at Lave was set up was a resounding success

"Where are they?, c'mon know ones seen them in 2 days?" he panicked

*sigh* i can pilot a Cutter but i cant find my sun glasses?

as they packed up the loss was found.

"they were in the SPEAKER BAG!"

Congratulations Nat on a well deserved win.

A question for Frank, is that picture Joe Loss? When I first saw it I thought it was George Formby and was wondering what he had to do with the topic.

Well done Nats! Another great Drabble.

Well insanephoton, it's the picture that came up when I typed Joe Loss Orchestra into Google Image. It could be George Formby, and if it is, then where is his ukulele?.. he appears to have "lost" it

Rule (1) of Fighter Club is "We do not talk about Fight Club"

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...18#post4688218

Thanks folks! May I choose the subject of the next drabble to be "Tenacity"

congratulations Nats!!!! Another win...

Thanks! ... its a hat-trick lol

A Nat Trick!!!

OK Audio Version on Itunes and also direct here

video being sorted