Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newsletter #183

Newsletter #183

All the latest Elite Dangerous news

NEWSLETTER #183

Welcome to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter, the place to find all the latest from the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

This week we are showing off some concept art for the new weaponry you’ll be using to take on any extra-terrestrial threats that will Return in 2.4, Dav Stott visited Ed in the stream to answer questions about server magic and take on the community in some fast-paced CQC action, and Deep Recon X talk about their PS4 exploration event, which they believe to be the first ever community-led event in Elite Dangerous on the PS4.  

As always, you can hear the latest news and updates directly from the development team on our Forums, Twitter, Facebook, Community Homepage, and right here in the newsletter every week, and we're always eager to hear your feedback.

On the Horizon
    All the latest for Elite Dangerous: Horizons

This year at Lavecon, a fan-created event that focuses almost entirely on Elite Dangerous-related activities, we were able to show off concept images of some of the weapons you’ll be equipping to take on a new, fearsome opponent.

This new arsenal, and more, will all come online over the course of the next update and will be sure to come in handy against the new Thargoid threat.

These are just a few examples of the new firepower coming to 2.4, with much more to come, so stay tuned!

Livestream Lowdown
    Catch up with videos from the community team

CQC WITH DAV  

This week, Ed was joined on the livestream by Lead Server developer, Dav Stott. Dav answered some questions from the chat about server development while we played CQC on the PS4 and PC.

There's no Elite Dangerous stream on the YouTube account next week, but tune in to our daytime streams on our new twitch channel by following our account here.

STORE SPOTLIGHT
    The latest goods and the best deals from the Frontier Store

NEW SUITS AVAILABLE

Inspired by ancient media form centuries past, these suits allow your Commander a dash of colour whilst still adorned in the deep black in which they feel so comfortable.

SRV PULSE PAINT JOBS

Entice your passengers, bewilder your foes and excite bystanders with these cutting edge Pulse paint jobs!

Community Central
    The best from the community, all in one place

A GRAND DAY OUT - ON PS4

Deep Recon X are claiming to arrange the first ever community-led event in Elite Dangerous on the PlayStation 4. Big claims aside, we're pretty sure that it's the first exploration event specifically for PlayStation 4 players. A Grand Day Out is for Commanders of all skill levels and ship types.

Read more, and find out how you can get involved by clicking on the link here.

Galnet Focus
    All the news from across the Galaxy

NEW RESEARCH CENTRE AT THARGOID SITE

Reports from the Pleiades Sector IR-W D1-55 indicate that the Oracle, an Ocellus starport, has relocated to the system in order to study the region’s Thargoid structure. The starport’s principal administrator said: “The Thargoid structures are ripe for further study, and I therefore believe it is essential that we have a dedicated research centre at one of these sites”.

FEDERAL OUTPOST CAMPAIGN CONCLUDES

A Federal spokesperson has announced that the Federation’s appeal for construction materials has received the wholehearted support of the galactic community. The material will be used to construct a survey outpost from which to monitor Thargoid activity in the Pleiades.

Community Goals
    The latest missions for you to take on

ELIMINATING AGITATORS
    Conway City, LTT 4961

Help NULL fight corruption and earn rewards by handing in Bounty Vouchers at Conway City in the LTT 4961 system.

Comms Chatter
    A round up of this week's community content

BAD MOON RISING

CMDR C_Bison sent us this amazing picture from Site #192 in the PLEIADES SECTOR OD-S B4-1

WHY EXPLORE?

For the new commanders, we’ve seen you ask “Why Explore?” This is why you explore.

CMDR Crusina presents - Finding Home

See you in the black, Commanders

The Frontier Developments Team

If you no longer wish to receive emails from Frontier about Elite Dangerous, you can unsubscribe

Enjoyed this email? Why not forward to a friend

Frontier

Copyright © 2017 Frontier Developments plc. All rights reserved.

Frontier Developments plc, 306 Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, England,  CB4 0WG, UK

I know the stuff at the top was already shown at Lavecon.....but could this be the beginning of a shift back to a "sneak peak of the week" from FDev? At least as we begin ramping up to 2.4 Beta.

If so, then all we need now is a weekly or fortnightly Dev Update about the non-story elements of 2.4 .

Always a pleasure to receive the newsletter. And yes, the come back of "Sneak peak of the week" would be a very good thing

Without sounding too cynical. A newsletter that had some news in it, the bit about the station moving to the Thargoid site was news to me at least.

Thank you for choosing that image for the cover page. It has made me very excited.
    "No entres dócilmente en esa noche quieta."

"Siempre me he sentido atormentado por una inagotable ansiedad de ver cosas remotas, me gusta surcar mares prohibidos y estar cerca de las costas bárbaras"

Thanks for putting the newsletter up as always Jenner as I don't receive it through email .

The return of sneak peek or dev update would be more than welcome.

So still no info these new weapons will require more engineer grind (be it just applying the same mods we have now onto the new gear or even unlocking a whole new set of engineers) and whether these new items will compete with or outright outdate our current equipment.

As long as such worries loom over the topic, you won't get me to care about the whole Thargoid story or

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco
    cool
    new items.

I have put a lot of time and effort in my current gear and I want to know whether you are going to deprecate all of that or not.

Originally Posted by Mephane View Post (Source)
    So still no info these new weapons will require more engineer grind (be it just applying the same mods we have now onto the new gear or even unlocking a whole new set of engineers) and whether these new items will compete with or outright outdate our current equipment.

As long as such worries loom over the topic, you won't get me to care about the whole Thargoid story [...].
    A good point made. For a similar reason, I feel the same way about combat and the RNG grind, it's too laborious and mind-numbingly dull imo.

I love concept art! I don't remember seeing the little round one before.
    I do hope some of these new weapons can be mounted on the SRV.

And how about a little artist time on making some less skintight sartorial options? I'm sure it would be a hit on the store. Or perhaps a fully layered clothing system is in the works?

The highlight of the week once again. Thank you, Jenner!

I like the look of the new arsenal so far. Eagerly waiting of what's to come next. I guess in the meantime it's time to go silence some of those agitators.

Love the Bad Moon Rising picture. Time to put some Creedence playing...

Kudos to CMDR Crusina's Finding Home. That was pretty epic stuff, and a joy to watch. Lots of creativity and clever angles. Music was excellent.

Have a great weekend everyone. o7

Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    I know the stuff at the top was already shown at Lavecon.....but could this be the beginning of a shift back to a "sneak peak of the week" from FDev? At least as we begin ramping up to 2.4 Beta.

If so, then all we need now is a weekly or fortnightly Dev Update about the non-story elements of 2.4 .
    Yeah, I browsed the newsletter this morning quickly and briefly like I have for over a year now, but did a double take when I realized that there was actual 2.4 preview stuff in it!

Super awesome, I really hope it's the beginning of a new (old?) trend!

Originally Posted by Crash1099 View Post (Source)
    No news at all.
    Plenty of news, actually.

Originally Posted by Arindor View Post (Source)
    A good point made. For a similar reason, I feel the same way about combat and the RNG grind, it's too laborious and mind-numbingly dull imo.
    Ditto on all points.
    Find some gameplay around the new content or just kill this mikey mouse game off...
    Games without frontiers, devs without ears...

"AMD FX-9370 4.7 Ghz, Sabretooth 990fx, Samsung Evo 250Gb SSD, Western Digital 4Tb HDD, 32Gb Ram, R9 390 8Gb @ 3840*2160 Philips BDM4065UC, TrackIR5, X52pro, Win10"

"For the new commanders, we’ve seen you ask “Why Explore?” This is why you explore."

Aw, you all need to stop spoiling me lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast