Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusion on Exploration rank

It depends on what your rank was before the last change.

13A gained Pioneer at 66M, and now aiming for Elite. 24B needed 75M. Elite was ~275M
    The user formerly known as Freebird

13A - Freelancer, living on the lam
    24B - In the black, pacifist explorer
    13D - Test pilot / crash test dummy(Beta)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Originally Posted by TheNavvie View Post (Source)
    Unless you start from 0% aimless, nobody can reliably tell you how many Cr. you need to make Elite because the levels and payouts have been changed too many times.
    Possibly. From my experience in May after the change, just needed to do a little math. For ex, if you are at 50% ranger, you need approx 29M more points to go to get to pioneer on the old chart. Progress as I mentioned (2:1 for exploration carto, 5:1 for sightseeing passenger).

That's what worked for me -Overall-. Do note that ED has some pretty weird rounding conventions tho. You can get identical back to back payments but with different exploration % progress.

Now SRV miles are kinda a wildcard, but in most cases carto and sightseeing payouts account for almost all the progress.

Originally Posted by marx View Post (Source)
    I don't think so, but nobody knows how much exp (exploration points) it gives you, especially since it depends on the distance to Sol (or perhaps your starting point?) of the system you're in. Did it ever give a meaningful amount of progression though?
    Well, I got the last 1% I needed for Pioneer by bumbling around in my buggy.

I was on the far side of the Formadine Rift at the time, so I guess the distance from Sol factor helped

BTW, I'm currently 20% short of Elite, have sold well over 200 MCr, and have been playing since beta. Go figure.

C

Originally Posted by Smykes View Post (Source)
    Elite wiki has some info on this..

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Explorer

Profit required for a given rank as of v2.3 (confirmation required)
    Rank Profit Required
    Aimless 0
    Mostly Aimless 40,000
    Scout 270,000
    Surveyor 1,140,000
    Trailblazer 4,140,000
    Pathfinder 10,000,000
    Ranger 35,000,000
    Pioneer 116,000,000
    Elite 200,000,000

glad to help
    That table on the Wikia just adds to the confusion.
    200 million is an edit by a CMDR with mixed earnings from pre and post 2.3 earnings.

Long story short. Elite in exploration can be reached with earnings somewhere in between 0 cr (full ranks with bubble exploration missions) to 315 million credits, if you're starting post 2.3 and only ranking up using cartography. With an uneven "cutoff" at 157.5 million for data sold now but scanned before the 2.3 update.
    The reason I'm counting passenger exploration missions as 0 cr is because those earnings aren't shown under the exploration stats on the HUD panel.
    To add to the confusion, passenger missions within the bubble adds less to the ranks than long range passenger missions outside the bubble.

Originally Posted by duckofdeath View Post (Source)
    To add to the confusion, passenger missions within the bubble adds less to the ranks than long range passenger missions outside the bubble.
    There are 2 kinds of passenger missions: "regular" and "sightseeing". The later always have a client name in the mission title, and the recommended rank in the description is an Explorer rank. The pasengers for such a mission also occupy an entire cabin no matter the party size. The "regular" ones do not have any specific name (just passenger type), recommemded rank is based on Trade rank, and fill up cabins as normal.

Sightseeing passenger missions count towards Explorer rank but regular passenger missions do not.

Originally Posted by cliffdobbs View Post (Source)
    BTW, I'm currently 20% short of Elite, have sold well over 200 MCr, and have been playing since beta. Go figure.
    C
    Not surprising if you have made a good portion of that since 2.3 release.

Read my posts in this thread. My analysis was based on close to 40 payouts of both cartographic exploration data and sightseeing passenger missions as I went from low Ranger to Elite from 2.3 release to mid May.

I found that getting from 0% Pioneer to Elite took about 150 million CR, using cartographic data on my trip to Colonia, about a month or so ago. I was earning almost precisely 1% for every 1.5 M in data.

Originally Posted by ZenBones View Post (Source)
    I found that getting from 0% Pioneer to Elite took about 150 million CR, using cartographic data on my trip to Colonia, about a month or so ago. I was earning almost precisely 1% for every 1.5 M in data.
    Might very well have changed then. Great.

Do you run ED Discovery? If so, there is a ledger that is quite handy. Used it in conjunction with EDD's history grid to calc my numbers.

For me, personally, my thumbnail analysis in May was about 1.5 to 1 and 4.0 to 1 for payouts, until I built a spreadsheet and spent 3 hours jamming the numbers in from EDD. What I found out was that the % increase for any individual payout is kinda wonky and can be misleading.

However, selling large chunks of carto data at once smooths it out.

Originally Posted by LP Garnell View Post (Source)
    Might very well have changed then. Great.

Do you run ED Discovery? If so, there is a ledger that is quite handy. Used it in conjunction with EDD's history grid to calc my numbers.

For me, personally, my thumbnail analysis in May was about 1.5 to 1 and 4.0 to 1 for payouts, until I built a spreadsheet and spent 3 hours jamming the numbers in from EDD. What I found out was that the % increase for any individual payout is kinda wonky and can be misleading.

However, selling large chunks of carto data at once smooths it out.
    It took me ~205 million credits of data to go from Pioneer to Elite, which I did over the course of about five days last week.
    CMDR Timothy Knight - Interstellar Swashbuckler - Buckyball Runner - Dangerous | Broker | Elite
    Cortana - Imperial Eagle - A* Challenge Unlimited Imperial Eagle record 10:06:19 - Mischief Mile Winner (Crazies Div.)
    Joyeuse
    - Imperial Courier (Racing Spec) - Buckyball Run X Winner (Solo/BigX) | BuckyBubble Winner (Top Fuel)
    Haulin' A* - Hauler - A* Challenge Classic Hauler record 9:35:22
    Durandal
    - Imperial Courier (Combat Spec)
    Excalibur - Fer-de-Lance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12