Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 82

Thread: New Dr Who

  1. #46
    Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    Maybe I am dense, but doesnt the quote you presented quite literally states they did it for diversity reasons? Which is a perfectly fine reason?

    "We always had white dudes. We commited to not just having white dudes on our programmes. So the next dr. Who is not a white dude, but a chick. For this role we did not audition dudes, because they are dudes. Which we didnt want again.

    Seems fairly clear to me.
    Yes, glad you agree the main reason was to hit a Diversity target. Now here is my issue.

    The whole point of diversity is to be as inclusive as possible, to allow a fair chance to everyone who fits the overall criteria(can act, got previous experience etc etc)

    If you then limit the types of qualified people then that is by definition NOT inclusive, it's Exclusive and is therefore showing prejudice.

    For the avoidance of doubt

    An Inclusive process
    O Since the doctor can be any gender or colour give me a list of actors and actresses with the experience and presence to fill the role
    O Audition list
    O Choose one from the list

    An Exclusive process

    O Since the doctor can be any gender or colour give me a list of actors and actresses with the experience and presence to fill the role
    O Discard all male actors from the short list
    O Audition list
    O Choose one from the list

    See? or maybe the above isn't sexist until you change the word male to female?

  2. #47
    Originally Posted by Jon flint View Post (Source)
    Well, now all the show needs is some scriptwriters that don't turn out the same tired old trash week after week, hasn't had a decent storyline since Tennant was the Doctor.
    Totally agree with you there.

    Some of the recent ones have been even worse than the McCoy years!

  3. #48
    Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    Meh - I'm not bothered who they get to play the Doctor.

    I simply won't be watching it as the last 3-4 seasons have been total dross. The episodic format is the bit that bugs me the most - whats the point in the "whwhhhosoosoooooossssssh" at the end if there's no cliffhanger?

    Davis, Gatiss and Moffat have ruined it imho. And I never could get used to George Dawes turning up every week.
    Agreed the last season is gone down to the drain, this was moffat "founding work", and i guess with the next season they will completely ruining it. I guess will going to watch the holiday special but after that, I'm not going to watch a single episode until this nonsense what they started comes to it's end.
    You haven't lived until you've tipped a brahmin with a vertibird.
    CMDR Minonian.
    Ranks; Elite, entrepreneur 38%, Elite, professional 26%
    fed; Rear Admiral, Imp, Squire.

    Ships; Asp; Void walker, Python; Vindicator, Anaconda; Tiamat, Cobra MK III; Uraeus, Fed Corvette; Ace of hearts.

  4. #49
    Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    I'm happy with it myself. I mean she's still white and middle class, but it's a start.
    Yes funny how an English show would cast an English person. So racist next they'll be worshiping Odin and rounding up the Jews.

  5. #50
    It's nice to think all Women can be Cris Cyborg. However they clearly cannot, since she is one of a kind (check her record omg). it's nice for the movies though.

  6. #51
    Tardis will get some nice frilly curtains and cushions,...yeah loads of cushions

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by Shanaeri View Post (Source)
    Yes, glad you agree the main reason was to hit a Diversity target. Now here is my issue.

    The whole point of diversity is to be as inclusive as possible, to allow a fair chance to everyone who fits the overall criteria(can act, got previous experience etc etc)

    If you then limit the types of qualified people then that is by definition NOT inclusive, it's Exclusive and is therefore showing prejudice.

    For the avoidance of doubt

    An Inclusive process
    O Since the doctor can be any gender or colour give me a list of actors and actresses with the experience and presence to fill the role
    O Audition list
    O Choose one from the list

    An Exclusive process

    O Since the doctor can be any gender or colour give me a list of actors and actresses with the experience and presence to fill the role
    O Discard all male actors from the short list
    O Audition list
    O Choose one from the list

    See? or maybe the above isn't sexist until you change the word male to female?
    Totally agree but here's the rub.....there is NO point whatsoever explaining all that to people who are SJWs and militant lefties....that type wouldn't know or understand true equality if it jumped up and bit them on the butt!
    CMDR ROBBO6 : Sidewinder "Journey's Dawn", Cobra MkIII "Charon's Tribute", Vulture "Mjölnir", Asp Explorer "Iridium", Python "Dragon's Wrath".
    Competent : Merchant : ELITE
    Carved upon my stone, My body lie but still I roam

  8. #53
    Originally Posted by Jon flint View Post (Source)
    Well, now all the show needs is some scriptwriters that don't turn out the same tired old trash week after week, hasn't had a decent storyline since Tennant was the Doctor.
    Hear hear. Everyone fawns over Moffat but it's absolute tripe as far as I can tell. When it was announced that both Capaldi and Moffat would be stepping down a very loud cheer went up in our living room!

    (click race banner for details)

  9. #54
    Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post (Source)
    Totally agree but here's the rub.....there is NO point whatsoever explaining all that to people who are SJWs and militant lefties....that type wouldn't know or understand true equality if it jumped up and bit them on the butt!
    Women's equality could be mistaken for special treatment. Since they are unable to compete with men apparently. Hence diversity targets. I had to laugh when the ambulance came to pick up my mother, who is huge, and the crew were both women. They refused to even try to pick her up and called for support. When the male crew arrived they left. Even my mother was laughing and she had just taken a fall and was in pain.

  10. #55
    Originally Posted by Necronaught View Post (Source)
    Women's equality could be mistaken for special treatment. Since they are unable to compete with men apparently. Hence diversity targets. I had to laugh when the ambulance came to pick up my mother, who is huge, and the crew were both women. They refused to even try to pick her up and called for support. When the male crew arrived they left. Even my mother was laughing and she had just taken a fall and was in pain.
    sorry to hear that about your mum, hope she's ok.

    But the most powerful muscle in the human body is in women....still waiting for a woman to use that to take out a male heavyweight champ...but hey.

    I'm genuinely surprised the BBC didn't continue with a white male doctor, but make him inept and stupid (like 90% of male characters nowadays) who needs his female companion to get him out of every situation. It's strange how most male characters are one dimensional nowadays isn't it!
    CMDR ROBBO6 : Sidewinder "Journey's Dawn", Cobra MkIII "Charon's Tribute", Vulture "Mjölnir", Asp Explorer "Iridium", Python "Dragon's Wrath".
    Competent : Merchant : ELITE
    Carved upon my stone, My body lie but still I roam

  11. #56
    Three and a half years ago the person I would have absolutely loved to have seen as the 12th doctor was Francesca Martinez ..

    http://www.francescamartinez.com/

    It would have been a challenging roll for her (and I have no idea if she'd have been remotely interested in taking it on) but I honestly think she would have been absolutely stunning, one of the all-time greats. Just imagine the opening post-re-generation sequence when she looks in the mirror and exclaims "well this is different ... I seem to be a wobbly person". Gives me chills just thinking how good that could have been.

    (click race banner for details)

  12. #57
    A group of people wage a political campaign of racism and hate, the conclusion of which ultimately results in taking the rights of people away based on their nationality and ethnicity. If you complain you're a "snowflake".

    An absolutely ludicrous little man and reality TV star, somehow, is elected to office and tries to take the healthcare of poor people away as well as banning certain ethnic groups from entering "his" country. If you complain you're a "snowflake".

    A completely fictional character, specifically a time traveling alien with two hearts, is to be portrayed by a female. EVERYONE PANIC!

    Future historians will use these sorts of discussions to demonstrate why humanity entered into what will likely be called "The second dark age".

  13. #58
    I don't care, as long as she looks like T'pau or Seven of nine.

    Hegh Daq maj jaghpu

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by FuzzySpider View Post (Source)
    A completely fictional character, specifically a time traveling alien with two hearts, is to be portrayed by a female. EVERYONE PANIC!

    Future historians will use these sorts of discussions to demonstrate why humanity entered into what will likely be called "The second dark age".
    More likely something like the "age of the bed-wetters", if I'm any judge. As usual, hysterical over-reactions by people either for or against - then going on to be portrayed as normal reactions by the media and people eager to look clever.

  15. #60
    Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    Maybe I am dense, but doesnt the quote you presented quite literally states they did it for diversity reasons? Which is a perfectly fine reason?
    Doesn't it suggest that Jodie Whittaker as much got the job due to a "quota", then her own native acting ability? I genuinely don't know if that's true or not - but I know for sure that some people will forever consider her a token appointment.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast