Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pimax 4K VR and ED

Originally Posted by Brandon31 View Post (Source)
    <looks towards the horizon with some doubt>.
    i would say there is no need to doubt.

what you need is cv2 or vive 2.

both will come in the next 18 months or so imo.. samsung have already demoed what imo is likely to be their screens, twin 2k screens i think is a safeish bet for the next gen of rift and vive........... me? no way could i wait that long!.

LGs interpretation of the vive should be out by years end, which has a slightly better set of screens in it. maybe that will be "enough" for you for now.... but right now with the current price of £399 for the full shebang with 6 games/apps (inc xbox game pad and remote if you get lucky) is hard to argue against if you have a decent PC and even a slight amount of interest in VR

i am with Frank et al

screen resolution IS a key part of VR, but not at the expense of 6 DOF tracking imo. i have never used the pimax but it isnt even low persistance is it??? (sorry if i am wrong on that)
    Fiat Coupe 20VT+ Gone..... Nissan 350Z Gone. Replaced with dirty nappies, no sleep and sicky shirts. Thank god for my Cobra MK III. Fast, practical AND child friendly

Thanks for all your inputs to this thread guys - have read them all with interest, a lot of valued information here, what did we do before the internet, and great forums like this..... <computer magazines anyone?". Its a shame while I have been dithering the Rift package has been nerfed - but still, that's life I guess.

Originally Posted by Brandon31 View Post (Source)
    Thanks for all your inputs to this thread guys - have read them all with interest, a lot of valued information here, what did we do before the internet, and great forums like this..... <computer magazines anyone?". Its a shame while I have been dithering the Rift package has been nerfed - but still, that's life I guess.
    maybe... but maybe not (though there is no doubt the xbox pad will soon be a thing of the past for being included so you are running out of time if you havent already)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...oller/dk7dy4d/
    Fiat Coupe 20VT+ Gone..... Nissan 350Z Gone. Replaced with dirty nappies, no sleep and sicky shirts. Thank god for my Cobra MK III. Fast, practical AND child friendly

Originally Posted by Cmdr Marc Hamilton View Post (Source)
    Did it this way as well. Pressing this button once or twice in a minute isn't a matter for me, either, doing it almost automatically meanwhile.

@loribee:
    So you did get a BE (Business Edition)?
    How is the overall image quality and sharpness? As far as I experienced with the "default"/"real" Pimax 4K, a little border of appr. 1-2cm stays a bit blurry which makes it a bit difficult to focus objects located in the image's edges. In contrast to this, the Rift's OLED image is 100% homogenous, even in the border area. So I wonder, if the Pimax OLED solves this issue as well?
    On the other side, it well might not be an TFT/OLED, but a lense issue... As long as Pimax does not adapt the lenses in the OLED edition, the result might be the same than with the normal 4K. ...?
    @Marc:

Hi Mark, just fired it up this morning quickly and yeah, the edges of the screen do appear to be slightly blurred (if I keep my head still and move my eyes, I can definitely see it, but then if I slightly adjust the headset on my face, it becomes a little clearer.

At this point, it's looking like I am stuck with the BE, I did email support as via the pimax forums, they're supposed to be putting a return/swap process in place, but to be honest, part of me does not trust them enough to send my unit back to them.

I feel it's definitely a step up from the PSVR that I had initially tried with trinus and it looks like from a resolution standpoint, its better than the rift/vive and seems to have decent refresh, albeit with a lower resolution than the 4k

I would keep it. it's more expensive for a reason...

Besides the accurate tracking which is important in my opinion there is also a huge component with frame rate for a great VR experience. You need a solid 90 FPS for a great experience and a low chance of getting motion sickness. With lower frame rates it really messes with your body and a lot of people get motion sick. The cost to put higher resolution screen in the VR headsets isn't that much more but as the tech is now, even the current 1080/1080 Ti cards can have a hard time keeping the FPS locked in at 90 FPS. If you double the resolution good luck. The only thing I wish was better about the rift is the resolution but I don't want to sacrifice it to get motion sickness. I noticed this right away with the rift. I had a lot of the setting really cracked up and in space I didn't have any problems, but when I got in the SRV the frame rate dropped to 45 and I was getting pretty sick. Changed the setting a bit to get the FPS back up and the sickness went away. I think the issue we are running into now is it will be a while yet before the GPU's exist to proper drive higher res displays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12