Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: FDev, I want Autopilot

Originally Posted by Doktor Molotov View Post (Source)
    It doesn't sound like an outrageous request.
    But haven't you heard? It will destroy the game, ruin people's lives, and cause the extinction of panda bears
    SHIPS: Viper 3 Green Arrow, Vulture Vesuvius, DBX River Song, T7 Transport Big Ugly
    RANKS: Competent (Combat), Merchant (Trade), Pathfinder (Exploration)
    ALLEGIANCES: Sol Workers' Party, Federation (Allied, Cadet)

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    But haven't you heard? It will destroy the game, ruin people's lives, and cause the extinction of panda bears

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    And the earth will turn backwards and the Alliance will invade the Federation!

To be fair I will be happy just to have my flight computer lock onto my navigation target, if I have the feature turned on. I doesn't even need to drop from SC for me. Just point at the compass for me so I can check the system map or my side panels or whatever.

I don't get why this is such a contentious issue.

Just have it full stop at the targeted destination, not drop from SC, making you an easy interdiction target if you went AFK, if it actually had speed reduction.

On top of that, all it needs to be is "move mouse to centre of circle", ZERO evasion of interstellar bodies, adjusting speed, etc.
    I just need my ship to not be completely retarded from point A to B, so that I can get some work done on another screen.
    I feel like playing E:D is wasted time, since so much of it is spent doing a task that l can automate with a dumb script.

If this is such a big dealbreaker for FDev, just make SC INTERESTING. Put in large glowing "crime reported" beacons, so players can assist other players/NPCs being attacked for system controlling faction rep, or something.
    In the meantime, I'll just write a script that points the mouse at the centre of the targeting reticle, because holy , this is such a non-issue for a computer to do that I can have it done with spare CPU cycles on a machine more than a thousand years older than anything in E:D.
    For console users: https://blog.gimx.fr/
    Get a RasPi with a camera module.

Honestly, the fact that we are asking for such functionality means that this gameplay feature is lacking any sort of interest value for the vast, vast majority of the time you spend in it, which when trading, is a ridiculously brutal amount of time... that you spend looking at nothing, with nothing more interesting to do than keep your mouse in a circle...
    I mean, how many threads have you seen where people comment that they trade with Netflix/YouTube open on another screen?
    This indicates that this content is BORING.

FDev, do SOMETHING about alleviating this tedium.
    I'll take basically anything. ANYTHING!

I have asked for an auto-pilot system for this game many times and have given up.
    It falls on deaf ears so I found that the solution was to just play another game instead of Elite Dangerous to your time spent on being more productive.
    To those that hate the idea of an auto pilot system and love the mindless aspects of spaceflight that in good sci-fi movies consists of pilots and crew going into suspended animation all I can say to you is "Have fun wasting many hours in doing not much".
    Maybe when the game devs start addressing the issue it would once again be my favourite game but as of now I will only hope this game will actually be fun and interesting again.

Well, here is proof that auto pilot is the root of all evil. Surely if Han had been in the cockpit steering the ship instead of letting the auto pilot do his job for him, Alderaan would still be here today... In fact, the entire Republic would still be here, because his son would have grown up to respect his dad (real pilots never use auto pilot), and Starkiller Base would have never been built in the first place!

Great Caesar's ghost, auto pilot does destroy the galaxy as we know it!!!

AFK, Han, A.F.K!!!
    SHIPS: Viper 3 Green Arrow, Vulture Vesuvius, DBX River Song, T7 Transport Big Ugly
    RANKS: Competent (Combat), Merchant (Trade), Pathfinder (Exploration)
    ALLEGIANCES: Sol Workers' Party, Federation (Allied, Cadet)

Originally Posted by DevCMDR View Post (Source)
    I mean, how many threads have you seen where people comment that they trade with Netflix/YouTube open on another screen?

Trading by it's nature is tedious. Im sure people do watch Netflix or whatever, much in the same way the shopkeeper at the grocery store has a TV behind his desk, or on his phone all day playing Candy Crush. What do you expect FDev to do to allieviate the tedium exactly? Anyone who doesn't like trading can make money in other, more exciting ways.

Originally Posted by DevCMDR View Post (Source)
    I don't get why this is such a contentious issue.

Just have it full stop at the targeted destination, not drop from SC, making you an easy interdiction target if you went AFK, if it actually had speed reduction.

On top of that, all it needs to be is "move mouse to centre of circle", ZERO evasion of interstellar bodies, adjusting speed, etc.
    I just need my ship to not be completely retarded from point A to B, so that I can get some work done on another screen.
    I feel like playing E is wasted time, since so much of it is spent doing a task that l can automate with a dumb script.

If this is such a big dealbreaker for FDev, just make SC INTERESTING. Put in large glowing "crime reported" beacons, so players can assist other players/NPCs being attacked for system controlling faction rep, or something.
    In the meantime, I'll just write a script that points the mouse at the centre of the targeting reticle, because holy , this is such a non-issue for a computer to do that I can have it done with spare CPU cycles on a machine more than a thousand years older than anything in E.
    For console users: https://blog.gimx.fr/
    Get a RasPi with a camera module.

Honestly, the fact that we are asking for such functionality means that this gameplay feature is lacking any sort of interest value for the vast, vast majority of the time you spend in it, which when trading, is a ridiculously brutal amount of time... that you spend looking at nothing, with nothing more interesting to do than keep your mouse in a circle...

Tedium to some is relaxing to others, there are different points of view, if something is getting tedious then change what you are doing, nobody is stuck on one path... It only becomes tedious if you don't change what you do. It's not up to FDev to entertain your every whim, it gave you the vehicle to make your own destiny in game, it just takes imagination to go the rest of the way
    "What is beyond the edge of reality?.... Only imagination will take you there!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567