Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FDev, I want Autopilot

Talking FDev, I want Autopilot

I've posted this to so many threads that I think it deserves its own. Dear FDev, please consider giving us an autopilot for supercruise. Please, please, please, please. Here's how it should work:

I arrive into a system, and I have to select my target station and point at it like always. I then activate the AP. It will take me to the target station by keeping the station centered and the speed in the blue. It will be smart enough to not drive me into a sun or planet. Once it's safe to disengage, it will disengage and alert me with a message that I've arrived and AP is off.

I don't expect it to fly me around in regular space, just supercruise. Nor do I expect it to be as fast as manually flying at full SC and dropping speed at the 6 second mark. In other words, there's a reward in terms of time saved by manually flying in SC over using AP. You could even make it like the docking computer where it takes up a size 1 slot, though personally I think it should be built into all ships just like the planetary approach system.

I find that SC is what's making things like trading and missions "grindy" for me (especially that last "7 seconds"). I'd love to just set the AP, get up, do some reps with my dumbbells, get a drink, take a quick wee, or just sit back and watch while I stretch. We have had AP IRL since the 20th Century! Even my little Cessna has AP. It doesn't land the plane or anything fancy like that, but it does keep it on course so I can relax a little. And yes, I know I can get interdicted while taking a wee, and that's fine; just give me a loud alarm and I'll zip up and rush to the controls.

Please please please please please! I love you FDev!!!

At least gives us a mini-game to play in the hud while I make the 400K+ LS journey to the outer edge of a system for those damn terraformables.

No no no! If there is a auto pilot it should bring me from point a to b. Let one of the crew pilots do that, I'll pay them more. No questions asked

There is a mini-game, it's called "keep the ship pointing at the target"
    I want you to take the time to learn the Babylon 5 mantra.
    Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! Babylon control out.

Originally Posted by willowfan View Post (Source)
    Exactly. Except "game" implies fun.

Incorrect! Its called ''Keep the ship pointed just below the target".

or in my case "just to the side of the target"
    Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! Babylon control out.

I don't mind the supercruise flight - its especially fun in a Type-7 as there's no throttling back at 6 seconds, more like 10
    PSN: TK7725 XBL: Newsh7725
    My comedy CMDRs log -CLICK HERE

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Please please please please please! I love you FDev!!!
    Not sure if you are trolling? It ain't coming. Its been asked for many times before.
    Join us on the Elite PS4 community discord server for Elite Dangerous - ElitePS https://discord.gg/uwzGfT2

Having an autopilot would mean the game would 90% play itself. Not my definition of fun.

Originally Posted by stormyuk View Post (Source)
    Not sure if you are trolling? It ain't coming. Its been asked for many times before.
    Dude, I am SO serious. I am absolutely flummoxed at why this gets so much resistance... I don't expect many here to be actual pilots, but surely at least a few of you have played a flight simulator. Autopilot is a fact of flying. Why is this so controversial? I'm not asking for it to replace SC gameplay for everyone, I'm asking for it to be installed on ships so those of us who want it can turn it on. Just like flight assist...

So please, WHY is this so controversial? I've not seen these "it's been asked for many times before" threads you speak of. Give me some fresh perspective

Having an autopilot would mean the game would 90% play itself. Not my definition of fun.
    Hogwash. Did you read my OP? What' I'm describing is not 90% of gameplay.

But if you feel that way, it's okay. Don't use it. You probably don't use a docking computer or flight assist either, but guess what - those exist for those who want to.

Originally Posted by Newsh7725 View Post (Source)
    I don't mind the supercruise flight - its especially fun in a Type-7 as there's no throttling back at 6 seconds, more like 10
    Try the Type-9, its like trying to stop a runaway train. I didn't mind the Type-7 in SC, its actually quite nice.

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Dude, I am SO serious. I am absolutely flummoxed at why this gets so much resistance... I don't expect many here to be actual pilots, but surely at least a few of you have played a flight simulator. Autopilot is a fact of flying. Why is this so controversial? I'm not asking for it to replace SC gameplay for everyone, I'm asking for it to be installed on ships so those of us who want it can turn it on. Just like flight assist...

So please, WHY is this so controversial? I've not seen these "it's been asked for many times before" threads you speak of. Give me some fresh perspective
    Its not been asked for my PS4 people but it has in PC land. Docking is a small aspect of the gameplay sequence, and the docking computer was available in the original Elite. Autopilot was not. While I understand you might want it, I seriously don't think its coming. I am not like totally against it anyway. I just don't see it happening when its a old request and it has not been done. I am fairly neutral on the concept to be honest. If anything I would like some better/louder audio queues in SC so I know when I need to turn course or slow down as half the time if its a long one, I just get distracted and ending up flying right by....
    Join us on the Elite PS4 community discord server for Elite Dangerous - ElitePS https://discord.gg/uwzGfT2

I would like the opposite : more game play in SC. Deeper gravity wells. More need to navigate. USSs resolving over time (currently it's too much of a faff to id them on the fly). Other thing's I've not thought of.
    As it stands I put the throttle at 75% and sit there, adjusting cause when near the target. Not a lot of fun so I can see the wish to automate it, but I think the solution is to make it more interesting, not less.

PvE - IronMan - One Life - One Death - Current CMDR : Chimwemwe Gwynn

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast