Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Palin Mission from Obsidian Orbital

If the first mission you get from him is failed, will it pop up again or is that it for these missions.

I ask because with only 10 minutes left to complete the mission, the game crashed on me on my way back to Obsidian Orbital (failed to connect to adjudication servers - or something). After I could finally play the game again 15 minutes later, I failed the mission, dumped the alien tech sample, and headed back to see if I could restart the mission from back at Obsidian.

So far, no joy.

I've tried leaving the station and redocking, leaving the system and jumping back in and then redocking, saving and exiting from the station and reloading, and saving and exiting at a station outside Maia and reloading and going back.

Am I as screwed as I think I am?

Sorry for the double post but I couldn't find an edit post option...

Nevermind. As soon as I cleared the failed mission from my transactions tab a new mission popped up. Looks like I tried everything except the bleeding obvious.

Got Palin mission at Obsidian as well, but hadn't unlocked Palin so was unable to procure corrosion resistant cargo hold, so I ditched the mission. How does one unlock Palin? I have only unlocked two engineers so far, and received one invite. I'm not a fan of engineers, so Farseer is the only one I've bothered with since I mainly explore. Same with Ram Tah. No invite. No missions.

Originally Posted by Xintar View Post (Source)
    Got Palin mission at Obsidian as well, but hadn't unlocked Palin so was unable to procure corrosion resistant cargo hold, so I ditched the mission. How does one unlock Palin?
    As per https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers Palin is unlocked via Martuuk and Qwent - lots of work if you are not interested, but you do not need CRCR for this mission, just don't hang around too long with the artefacts and you should be fine. Palin requires you to travel 5K Ly to unlock, so he is an explorer engineer (thruster mods are useful if you want to undersize your thrusters to save weight)

Originally Posted by Xintar View Post (Source)
    Same with Ram Tah. No invite. No missions.
    Ram does not require you to unlock him to get the Ancient Ruins mission - you don't even have to visit his base - see second link in my sig for more if you do want to follow that mission.
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 95.4% complete

After spending a fair amount of time trading on rares with my Type 6, I got my hands on the ASPx, fitted it, and decided to head out to that "cool looking nebula" not that far away. As luck would have it, I plotted a course to Maia (not even knowing there was a station -or a black hole for that matter- there). Anyway, after docking and heading back out, I noticed the message offering this mission. I spent a good number of hours hopping from planet to planet in the 3 sub-systems thinking the resource would pop up at some point... nothing, not even the blue areas of interest. After a while, I decided to do some research and stumbled into this thread, which, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. But all this leads me to a single question: How the heck are we supposed to figure this stuff up in the day or so of mission availability time? Is all of this learnt by exhaustively going through the GALNET reports? I don't much like having to jump out of the game and into the real world to figure this stuff up but I am thinking maybe I am missing something?
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62608&dateline=1419293133

Originally Posted by Jack Dalton View Post (Source)
    How the heck are we supposed to figure this stuff up in the day or so of mission availability time? Is all of this learnt by exhaustively going through the GALNET reports? I don't much like having to jump out of the game and into the real world to figure this stuff up but I am thinking maybe I am missing something?
    A reasonable complaint. This FAQ was compiled as a result of Canonn research on the alien sites - you could probably find a site for yourself as there is a Listening Post in Maia that leads to one of the sites (Look around A 2), but the mission doesn't tell you that.

It's like the engineers where they ask for 1 Ton of Meta Alloys. And there's no way to know where to get them - and only one base in the universe sells them.

Hopefully FD get better at putting information in-game, or 2.4 is going to be very confusing for many.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    A reasonable complaint. This FAQ was compiled as a result of Canonn research on the alien sites - you could probably find a site for yourself as there is a Listening Post in Maia that leads to one of the sites (Look around A 2), but the mission doesn't tell you that.

It's like the engineers where they ask for 1 Ton of Meta Alloys. And there's no way to know where to get them - and only one base in the universe sells them.

Hopefully FD get better at putting information in-game, or 2.4 is going to be very confusing for many.
    Yeah I looked for them ' Meta Alloys for Felicia for some time too...

I will start dropping on some of those "points of interest" such as the "listening posts", truth is, I am scrub when it comes to combat so not knowing what to expect means I usually keep to myself and continue on supercruise Thanks for the tip.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62608&dateline=1419293133

Originally Posted by Jack Dalton View Post (Source)
    Yeah I looked for them ' Meta Alloys for Felicia for some time too...

I will start dropping on some of those "points of interest" such as the "listening posts", truth is, I am scrub when it comes to combat so not knowing what to expect means I usually keep to myself and continue on supercruise Thanks for the tip.
    No worries - if you don't like combat then be careful following the trail from the listening post - hostile NPCs have been seen in the area o7
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 95.4% complete

I guess I should have my combat-ready-ish eagle ferried over

So this is actually a very big, complicated, time-consuming mission (especially since I don't have Palin unlocked). I accepted it not knowing this. What are the consequences of abandoning the mission - will Palin become "unfriendly" toward me?

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    So this is actually a very big, complicated, time-consuming mission (especially since I don't have Palin unlocked). I accepted it not knowing this. What are the consequences of abandoning the mission - will Palin become "unfriendly" toward me?
    The mission is easy enough - maybe an hour if you take your time: go somewhere, pick stuff up, take it back. Don't think he cares if you don't want to do it (maybe if you do that a lot). Only wrinkle is that you need to find a thargoid structure (see the first post), and if you don't have palin you need to hurry, as the things you are asked to pick up will corrode your ship

If you haven't visited a thargoid base it is well worth while.

Read the first post and feel free to ask where it's not clear.

Edit: Misread your post as a question - apologies if that makes my answer read a bit weird!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12