Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

I've solved why we get the CRC error (and I have a work-around).

It looks like .NET (which the launcher uses) and the value Wine sees in the registry (which the client uses) are different for the registry key:
    \\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid

So the 'machineId' value generated by the launcher and the one sent by the client are different - hence the CRC issue.

The work-around is easy. Just replace the value in the registry of your wine prefix with the one the launcher sees.

To see what value the launcher sees, I wrote a simple C-Sharp program:
    Code:
    using Microsoft.Win32;
    using System;

public class HelloWorld
    {
        static public void Main ()
        {
            Console.WriteLine (Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey("SOFTWARE\\\\Microsoft\\\\Cryptography").GetValue("MachineGuid").ToString());
        }
    }
    and ran it in my wine prefix (you can compile with 'mcs' which is in the 'mono-mcs' package).

OMG man congratulations!

My problem however at the moment I can't install dotnet452 with newest Wine versions. Have you succeed with that?

Workaround confirmed as working!

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    My problem however at the moment I can't install dotnet452 with newest Wine versions. Have you succeed with that?
    I'm just running dotnet40 at the moment. That's installing fine against my local build (which is the latest from git as of a week ago).

Actually - it turns out there's already an easy way to check the registry values:
    Code:
    wine reg query 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    wine64 reg query 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    On a fresh wine prefix - you can see the 32-bit wine (which is how the Launcher runs) vs. the 64-bit wine (which is how the client runs) get two different values.

It seems you need to add 'Wow6432Node' to the registry path to get a consistent value with wine64:
    Code:
    wine reg query 'HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    wine64 reg query 'HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    I guess they are suppose to be the same. I'll investigate and raise an issue (or submit a patch) with wine.

Interesting observation - EDLaunch
    exe failed when I did everything with wine64, but worked with wine. It worked before but I wonder why, considering launcher is 32-bit dotnet app?

Anyway, all works with regular wine binary for me. Amazing work man figuring this out!

Dang! I didn't get the first in game psychedelic screen shot! ><

Has anyone tried this with the new program that fixes the graphics(DXVK). Or is it incorporated now? I read some version of wine added it. It might have been the proton one from steam though. Might be a hassle free way to play the game.

And I knew that was going to be from some stupid registry bug. I swore I ran into something similar with final fantasy or something. I just couldn't remember what it was. And I couldn't find the old thread. Plus it is probably too different to matter.

BTW, congrats on finding that. That will help so many people get to play this game on linux. It's a life saver!

Originally Posted by Noobilite View Post (Source)
    Dang! I didn't get the first in game psychedelic screen shot! ><

Has anyone tried this with the new program that fixes the graphics(DXVK). Or is it incorporated now? I read some version of wine added it. It might have been the proton one from steam though. Might be a hassle free way to play the game.

And I knew that was going to be from some stupid registry bug. I swore I ran into something similar with final fantasy or something. I just couldn't remember what it was. And I couldn't find the old thread. Plus it is probably too different to matter.

BTW, congrats on finding that. That will help so many people get to play this game on linux. It's a life saver!
    What you mean is Steam Play with Proton and DXKV (Vulkan translation), which seems to do shaders way better than vanilla Wine for ED.

I haven't gotten around to enable Steam Play on my Fedora yet. When I will I will write down instructions for that too.

I ditched Windows a few weeks ago and went full time Linux. I haven't played Elite since, so the chance that I will be able too in Linux (when i get home from my shift at work and work through the steps in this thread.) is exciting news indeed.

Kudos to all who have been involved in getting it this far.

I'd be wary of using my primary account in testing wine or even Proton support since it's not clear if the anti-cheat logic will see this all as suspect and flag your account.

Even worse will be when actual cheaters make this method of running the game the defacto method of scripting/cheating since they would have the code to wine to make custom system dll's that the game links to and expose game data in new ways not available in windows.

To me, as a developer, i'd treat running the game in a non-controlled environment as the same as you'd have to treat any attempt at cheating. If they white-listed steam's build of proton ...that's one thing. They could trust that build and all the libraries it links to and crc white list them. Allowing unsigned libraries is going to look identical to many of the already banned cheat/moddish methods in use in windows.

Has anyone informed anyone at Fdev about this. Maybe if they knew they could, "utilize," this. I've seen games that have things like Wine window as an option with things like fullscreen, windowed, and windowed fullscreen. If not it gives them the option. Or at least leaves it in their minds.

Originally Posted by RedMcG View Post (Source)
    I'm just running dotnet40 at the moment. That's installing fine against my local build (which is the latest from git as of a week ago).

Actually - it turns out there's already an easy way to check the registry values:
    Code:
    wine reg query 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    wine64 reg query 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    On a fresh wine prefix - you can see the 32-bit wine (which is how the Launcher runs) vs. the 64-bit wine (which is how the client runs) get two different values.

It seems you need to add 'Wow6432Node' to the registry path to get a consistent value with wine64:
    Code:
    wine reg query 'HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    wine64 reg query 'HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Cryptography' /v MachineGuid
    I guess they are suppose to be the same. I'll investigate and raise an issue (or submit a patch) with wine.
    You are a legend.... (Eagleboy too)

Wine staging 3.18 plus DXVK 0.90.

Still got to figure out the resolution, keybindings etc as they are a bit dodgy.

Haven't actually tried this within steam yet though, proton has an issue where even the combat demo would freeze after 2 minutes.

Has anyone informed anyone at Fdev about this. Maybe if they knew they could, "utilize," this. I've seen games that have things like Wine window as an option with things like fullscreen, windowed, and windowed fullscreen. If not it gives them the option. Or at least leaves it in their minds.
    This isn't an Fdev issue but more rather an unnoticed wine bug. This can be patched with Wine/proton along with other issues and ED can go from borked to gold rating. I had a quick fly around Jameson base while there are stutters performance seems smooth enough, keybinding presets can't be changed for some reason making me go through the agony of rebinding again.

Oh and my joystick works fine.

I meant more the fact that the game is basically working. Since it's so close maybe they would be interested in the fact. It seems in general like linux games might pick up a bit. Maybe they would be able to do something with this reality. Maybe they could make a wine release with no guarantees or a proton release or something or help with background stuff to make it not break as easily. Assuming they haven't already. If anything they might be able to add things to avoid detection issues to their cheat detectors or whatever odd things that might help smooth things out. Or whatever a game company can do with that info. 8)

Maybe they have been waiting like we have for wine to work better! ><

I meant more the fact that the game is basically working. Since it's so close maybe they would be interested in the fact. It seems in general like linux games might pick up a bit. Maybe they would be able to do something with this reality. Maybe they could make a wine release with no guarantees or a proton release or something or help with background stuff to make it not break as easily. Assuming they haven't already. If anything they might be able to add things to avoid detection issues to their cheat detectors or whatever odd things that might help smooth things out. Or whatever a game company can do with that info. 8)

Maybe they have been waiting like we have for wine to work better! ><
    If the small quirks get sorted Fdev won't have to much if anything, bar not break it that is. And once the proton specific issues have been sorted along with this fix it could possibly be a Steam whitelist game.

Just flew from Jameson's base to memorial, biggest issue (with wine version) I'm finding is the keyboard bindings keep giving funny symbols and resetting the bindings entirely. If I use the joystick by itself it sticks but as soon as I try to bind a key it breaks.

Some video:

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast