Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 652

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Lead Designers advice on dealing with griefing (part 2)

  1. #271
    Originally Posted by MiiC View Post (Source)
    The post is about how the blocking tool works, not about how BGS, PG ans solo works, maybe its you who is arguing for irrelevant things in this post sir.
    Maybe you should listen to players who know how the game works before you make invalid arguments? How should anyone take your argument serious when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about?

  2. #272
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    I have no problem with PvP being allowed. I also have no problem with the block mechanic. The designers of the game decided there should be a block mechanic before you even joined the forum. Who are you to tell the developers how they designed their game not like they intended, when they made perfectly clear that this is what they intended?
    They put it in place for a very good reason too, and if people cannot resist the urge to behave like savages, then of course there will be developer interference. We can't have normal players quitting the game in disgust, just so certain people can enjoy themselves.

  3. #273
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    Looks like you didn't understand the game. They can do this without using the block mechanic simply by using Solo or PG. All three modes are connected to the same BGS. Using the block feature doesn't change anything for you because they could just as well use Solo.
    Yes, but people can also do it in Open mode.
    And that's an especially bad thing.
    For some reason.
    Apparently.


  4. #274
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    I have no problem with PvP being allowed. I also have no problem with the block mechanic. The designers of the game decided there should be a block mechanic before you even joined the forum. Who are you to tell the developers how they designed their game not like they intended, when they made perfectly clear that this is what they intended?
    who are you to say who is a griefer and whos not? Blocking tool should be the same like report tool, there should be a reason to write.

    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    Maybe you should listen to players who know how the game works before you make invalid arguments? How should anyone take your argument serious when you obviously have no idea what you are talking about?
    Playing since day one, dont tell me how play, how to think and what to say. You cant.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?u=89982&type=sigpic&dateline=1479155218

  5. #275
    Originally Posted by MiiC View Post (Source)
    Playing since day one, dont tell me how play, how to think and what to say. You cant.
    Isn't that what you're doing, though? Telling people not to use the Block feature because you​ have a problem with it?

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  6. #276
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    Isn't that what you're doing, though? Telling people not to use the Block feature because you​ have a problem with it?
    Bingo.

  7. #277
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    Isn't that what you're doing, though? Telling people not to use the Block feature because you​ have a problem with it?
    No, im saying the dessign is a big fail, you shoul read my posts. Never told nobody to use it or not. If I report someone I got to give a reason, blocking should be the same.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/image.php?u=89982&type=sigpic&dateline=1479155218

  8. #278
    Originally Posted by MiiC View Post (Source)
    No, im saying the dessing is a big fail, you shoul read my posts. Never told nobody to use it or not. If I report someone I got to give a reason, blocking should be the same.
    Why should it? It's not the same thing as the Report feature. It's a way for you to remove a player from your game. Yes, I agree it should NOT be used as a way of avoiding legitimate in-game stuff like Powerplay rivalry, and it should only be used sparingly, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist at all. I've used it a grant total of twice, and both times were to remove a player that was acting like a tool and not adding any in-game fun whatsoever. My block list is also currently empty because I don't permanently-block.

    Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

  9. #279
    Originally Posted by MiiC View Post (Source)
    No, im saying the dessign is a big fail, you shoul read my posts. Never told nobody to use it or not. If I report someone I got to give a reason, blocking should be the same.
    You are not alone. I agree that the actual design of the block feature is a fail. An epic fail, tbh. Just because SS put out some half baked, poorly thought out post talking about blocking people in 2014 doesn't mean it is now an objectively well functioning gameplay tool. Personally, after reading Sandro's comments on the subject, as well as David's referencing "griefing teenagers" I think these guys attitudes are somewhat disgraceful, and they're in waaaay over their heads when it comes to enabling an online community.
    Quitting the game to play the forum full time.

  10. #280
    Originally Posted by MiiC View Post (Source)
    who are you to say who is a griefer and whos not? Blocking tool should be the same like report tool, there should be a reason to write.
    You completely missed the point. Your argument was that using a block feature would be against the idea of Open. My point was that the Devs decide what they want Open to be, and it looks like the block feature is part of it. Your argument is invalid. A valid argument would be "I am against it because I don't like it".
    Well I don't care.



    Playing since day one, dont tell me how play, how to think and what to say. You cant.
    Again, you missed the point. I am not telling you how to play (that's what you are doing), I am not telling you how to think. I just point out that you obviously don't know how the game works. I also don't tell you what to say, I am just pointing out that it doesn't make sense.

  11. #281
    Originally Posted by MiiC View Post (Source)
    No, im saying the dessign is a big fail, you shoul read my posts. Never told nobody to use it or not. If I report someone I got to give a reason, blocking should be the same.
    Then, you should have to have a reason to friend someone. The friends list has more effect on instancing than the block list. If I'm going to have to ask permission to block someone, why should I be able to just fill up a friends list without a care?
    Elite Commander Mohrgan
    F.S.S. Wolfshead MO-04F
    Separating Pirates and Ships since 3300

  12. #282
    Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    No.
    Agreed. No. A block is just that, you cease to have any dealings with the individual.

    Never underestimate the propensity for self deception!

  13. #283
    Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    You are not alone. I agree that the actual design of the block feature is a fail. An epic fail, tbh. Just because SS put out some half baked, poorly thought out post talking about blocking people in 2014 doesn't mean it is now an objectively well functioning gameplay tool. Personally, after reading Sandro's comments on the subject, as well as David's referencing "griefing teenagers" I think these guys attitudes are somewhat disgraceful, and they're in waaaay over their heads when it comes to enabling an online community.
    I've played PvP based games for a good 14 or more years, and their attitudes are actually not as out of touch as you seem to think. Even if the people involved are not physically teenagers, they share a similar mentality, i.e. the enjoyment of messing with other people for the sake of messing with other people, finding childish delight in ruining another person's experience, and generally behaving in a way which cannot be condoned by any normal person, without some serious mental gymnastics.

    The fact is, given no restrictions or punishments, people will prey on others without a second thought. Games are very good at highlighting the worst human traits, and whilst some will write this off as "oh, it's just a game", scientists have actually found video games to be very useful data when building models of human behaviour.

  14. #284
    Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    You are not alone. I agree that the actual design of the block feature is a fail. An epic fail, tbh. Just because SS put out some half baked, poorly thought out post talking about blocking people in 2014 doesn't mean it is now an objectively well functioning gameplay tool. Personally, after reading Sandro's comments on the subject, as well as David's referencing "griefing teenagers" I think these guys attitudes are somewhat disgraceful, and they're in waaaay over their heads when it comes to enabling an online community.
    I sometimes believe that you are under the wrong impression that every person who plays PvP or piracy is also a griefer in the views of those you are arguing against. That's not true. I have no problem with people enjoying PvP or piracy. I have a problem with people who tell me how I should play the game.

  15. #285
    Originally Posted by Xenith View Post (Source)
    I've played PvP based games for a good 14 or more years, and their attitudes are actually not as out of touch as you seem to think. Even if the people involved are not physically teenagers, they share a similar mentality, i.e. the enjoyment of messing with other people for the sake of messing with other people, finding childish delight in ruining another person's experience, and generally behaving in a way which cannot be condoned by any normal person, without some serious mental gymnastics.

    The fact is, given no restrictions or punishments, people will prey on others without a second thought. Games are very good at highlighting the worst human traits, and whilst some will write this off as "oh, it's just a game", scientists have actually found video games to be very useful data when building models of human behaviour.
    Same here. I played CSS for a very long time and when we didn't participate in tournaments and leagues we sometimes played on public servers. Guess what happened when someone killed his teammates at the spawn point? He got banned from the server! Just because Open is the "anything goes mode" it doesn't entitle people to act like an idiot.

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast