Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien bases grow - With an important update at Page 4

Is it possible that they're growing because commanders are feeding them to gain access?

Originally Posted by ocflyer View Post (Source)
    Is it possible that they're growing because commanders are feeding them to gain access?
    What exactly are we feeding them? We just have the UA/UP in hold when we go in (and take it back out), and take a lot of stuff out (to sell it for profit).
    No one knows what happens when we feed the 'unknown machine' though.

Originally Posted by Spiridon View Post (Source)
    While at it, I strongly suggest to collect some of these (while it's still easy). I have a hunch it will be needed for new stuff at the Engineers.

DATA upon scanning

Unknown Material Composition Data scanning Unknown Uplink Device STANDARD
    Unknown Residue Data Analysis scanning Unknown Uplink Device RARE
    Unknown Ship Signature drop from Scavenger STANDARD
    Unknown Structural Data scanning Unknown Uplink Device COMMON
    Unknown Wake Data drop from Scavenger RARE

MATS after killing a Scavenger

Unknown Carapace COMMON
    Unknown Energy Cell STANDARD
    Unknown Fragment VERY RARE
    Unknown Organic Circuitry VERY RARE
    Unknown Technology Components VERY COMMON
    Thank you very much OP.

Dr. Hans Zarkov: I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is I may have got the rift blaster working again, all we need now is a rift to test it on. Flash Gordon: The bad news? Dr. Hans Zarkov: We have a rift to test it on.

Originally Posted by Arkadi View Post (Source)
    How exactly do you measure accurate distances in game?
    Two ships, mate and me.

Interesting. We've yet to see a fully grown Thargoid capital ship.

Originally Posted by Cubed View Post (Source)
    What if it's not growing but rising? Has the height of it changed?
    I'm thinking the same. The structures are much higher now, like the enormous mega thing is rising from below. Not growing like plant but rising, revealing more.

Will any of the guys who spent time there a month or two ago go now? You'll be shocked.

Errr... isn't that first picture a mock-up of what a complete 'thing' might look like? To date they've all bass some form off degradation, and nobody has found one that is that complete.
    It's also highly likely that, if the original picture isn't yours, then the measurements aren't yours either, and are not done from consistent positions.

Originally Posted by Gunnet View Post (Source)
    Good find.

I really need to stop getting distracted by other things and go take a look a the bases before the storyline moves on.

I believe the answer here is the haversine formula.
    thanks for this, but i saw the word "trigonometry" and "high waked" out of that wiki.

"They see me whining, and grinding, up at the goal... All of FD is lookin' at me and they already know... they're gonna _ _ _ _ me, I already know they're gonna _ _ _ _ me, yet onward I go..." -Lakon ft. Scoop Rocky Rock

My PC Specs

CPU:> Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8Ghz
    MOBO:> Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270X
    GPU:> Asus Strix GTX-1070 OC Edition
    AIO:> NZXT Kraken X62
    RAM:> G.Skill Tirdent-Z RGB DDR4-3000Mhz
    CASE:> Corsair 760T [Black]
    Monitor:> Asus VX238H 1ms 1080p

Originally Posted by Jmanis View Post (Source)
    Errr... isn't that first picture a mock-up of what a complete 'thing' might look like? To date they've all bass some form off degradation, and nobody has found one that is that complete.
    It's also highly likely that, if the original picture isn't yours, then the measurements aren't yours either, and are not done from consistent positions.
    pretty sure he only uploaded said pictures to help the community. like a pie chart aids in saying "x" is greater profits than "y". Who cares who took the pictures I trust that someone willing to take the time to measure and then share on here isn't doing it for the lolz.

"They see me whining, and grinding, up at the goal... All of FD is lookin' at me and they already know... they're gonna _ _ _ _ me, I already know they're gonna _ _ _ _ me, yet onward I go..." -Lakon ft. Scoop Rocky Rock

My PC Specs

CPU:> Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8Ghz
    MOBO:> Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270X
    GPU:> Asus Strix GTX-1070 OC Edition
    AIO:> NZXT Kraken X62
    RAM:> G.Skill Tirdent-Z RGB DDR4-3000Mhz
    CASE:> Corsair 760T [Black]
    Monitor:> Asus VX238H 1ms 1080p

Originally Posted by Spiridon View Post (Source)
    The first picture is not mine (but they all looked like that at he end of July). The measures are mine, taken then and now at the same site, with pictures 2 and 3 also from half an hour ago. Measures were taken with two ships standing at the opposite sides.

Degradation? The damn thing grows in height too. Massively.
    They do look like they are being degraded, a lot of stuff is missing in the second picture. As for the height, what if the site is being excavated at the same time? Whatever is taking them apart is eating its way down? That might account for the apparent increase in height of the remaining material.
    President, Turdetani Board of Tourism.

Perhaps the more we feed one, the more it will grow until it begins an exit/event? Perhaps the opposite of UA's to stations is happening? When in this case, we are.helping complete it the structure.

Originally Posted by Droid8Apple View Post (Source)
    pretty sure he only uploaded said pictures to help the community. like a pie chart aids in saying "x" is greater profits than "y". Who cares who took the pictures I trust that someone willing to take the time to measure and then share on here isn't doing it for the lolz.
    It matters because there's a huge chance whoever measured 4km probably did so from a completely different point than when the OP measured 4.8km, which would explain the discrepancy and therefore show the structures *aren't* growing. Give me a minute and I'll find the context for the first image the OP's linked. Here.

(EDIT: Yes, the same points are marked on the images, doesn't mean the measurements aren't completely spurious. It doesn't help matters that the first shot doesn't actually exist as an unknown site, and is a photoshopped image)

If we want to prove it's growing, we need measurements from the same reference points at different points in time.

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    Interesting. We've yet to see a fully grown Thargoid capital ship.
    Or the Thargoid SLF's (Thargons).

Z...
    CMDR Barefoot Bandit
    Pilot of The Golden Phallus™

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

I visited that site when it was discovered, it definitely looked like pic 2 and not like pic 1...

Certainly don't remember it having 8 of those large decaying leviathan structures around it.. you sure that first pic isn't a Photoshop/mockup OP?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast