Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien bases grow - With an important update at Page 4

Originally Posted by Jon flint View Post (Source)
    I visited that site when it was discovered, it definitely looked like pic 2 and not like pic 1...

Certainly don't remember it having 8 of those large decaying leviathan structures around it.. you sure that first pic isn't a Photoshop/mockup OP?
    It's definitely a mockup, designed to show that there would be eight segments in a "complete" site.

Originally Posted by Jmanis View Post (Source)
    Errr... isn't that first picture a mock-up of what a complete 'thing' might look like? To date they've all bass some form off degradation, and nobody has found one that is that complete.
    It's also highly likely that, if the original picture isn't yours, then the measurements aren't yours either, and are not done from consistent positions.
    Oh for crying out loud! The first picture ISN'T mine, only used as an illustration of the dimensions a month ago.

And regarding this smart conclusion of yours, please explain the logic in more detali.

Posting pictures of just the site from above is not the best way to prove your work. So you took 2 separate measurements, or you only took the one recently? And are you measuring from the same point each time?
    If I don't respond, I apologize. I'm too busy playing the game.

Originally Posted by Spiridon View Post (Source)
    Oh for crying out loud! The first picture ISN'T mine, only used as an illustration of the dimensions a month ago.

And regarding this smart conclusion of yours, please explain the logic in more detali.
    Trouble is, the picture you used was a mockup made by another cmdr and not an accurate photo of the site.

Trouble is, the picture you used was a mockup made by another cmdr and not an accurate photo of the site.
    As the original poster said, that is irrelevant. The OP has used that as illustration only to show the 4km. I believe I am right in saying the OP already did earlier measurements and using that as a convenience.

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    As the original poster said, that is irrelevant. The OP has used that as illustration only to show the 4km. I believe I am right in saying the OP already did earlier measurements and using that as a convenience.
    It's entirely relevant, if the initial measurements are based on a fictional photo made by someone else.

While it's an interesting theory, and certainly worth checking out, there is no evidence to support it without accurate measurements based on first hand pics.

I think you're missing the point. My understanding (unless I have missed the point ) is that Spiridon has taken all the measurements. He is simply using the first picture as an illustration of those measurements, suggesting that the picture isn't real is irrelevant.

It's entirely relevant, if the initial measurements are based on a fictional photo made by someone else.
    They're not based on the picture. The picture is used to show the dimensions that were taken from the site!
    Duchess Commander Crank Larson

Twitch | YouTube

No, the measurements are not taken from that picture as the OP has already tried to explain. It is for illustrative purposes only, which is exactly what the OP said.

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    I think you're missing the point. My understanding (unless I have missed the point ) is that Spiridon has taken all the measurements. He is simply using the first picture as an illustration of those measurements, suggesting that the picture isn't real is irrelevant.

They're not based on the picture. The picture is used to show the dimensions that were taken from the site!
    Exactly this.

So... alien ships/structures are growing out of the planets? Or shipwrecks on the surface repair and rebuild by scavenging material on the planet?

Are the messages at Dav's Hope linked with this - they talked about some weird seismic activity and abandoned the base; could well be the signs of an alien structure forming/repairing on that planet?

While it's an interesting theory, and certainly worth checking out, there is no evidence to support it without accurate measurements based on first hand pics.
    I've clearly stated multiple times here, Picture 1 was used as an illustration only of what was measured the first time.

Both measurements were taken by me and my mate on this site MEL 22 SECTOR ZU-P C5-1 4 A, 30 days apart. Two ships standing on the furthest opposite ends as the green lines show.

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    Are the messages at Dav's Hope linked with this - they talked about some weird seismic activity and abandoned the base; could well be the signs of an alien structure forming/repairing on that planet?
    Has an alien structure been found on that planet? I didn't spot anything when I visited, but wasn't particularly looking.

Twitch | YouTube

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    Has an alien structure been found on that planet? I didn't spot anything when I visited, but wasn't particularly looking.
    Couldn't find any in the structure list, no.

It could be nothing at all, but I always assumed there was something important behind that base - it being one of the first of that type to be added/found. FD spent some effort on that site, and adding the story of it being abandoned; it seems strange to do so if there's not much gameplay or lore wrapped around it. Then, finding alien structures which seem to grow out of the ground - it seemed the perfect link.

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    It could be nothing at all, but I always assumed there was something important behind that base - it being one of the first of that type to be added/found.
    I am also hoping for more of a story there. The messages were intriguing, and made me want to shoot things (e.g. corporate overlords ).

Twitch | YouTube

Originally Posted by Spiridon View Post (Source)
    This is the same base at MEL 22 SECTOR ZU-P C5-1 4 A.

EDIT: I have not measured the pixels of these two pictures, used them merely as an illustration of what points have mate and me measured with the distance between our ships. Pictures are bot important here, data is.

At the end of July it was 4 km wide (and I haven't measured it on the day they become known, they were smaller then)

http://i.imgur.com/Ip1IllK.png

This is the same base photographed today, 30.07.2017. Now it's 4,8 km

http://i.imgur.com/x9sbJgj.jpg

Got another ring of those "jaw bones with teeth". And those ugly structures are much higher now and more Giger.

http://i.imgur.com/yaNM4Gc.png

It looks like in the second image you have drifted to the right and are closer to the surface than the first photo. Also I am not so sure if this is the same site. If you look to the bottom left its missing the large craters near the frame and the little double crater. the ground is also a lot more bumpy in the second one.

I would check again and see if its possibly a mistake of the wrong picture being used for comparison. Unfortunately without exact distance and physical location from the ground measuring from the air would be impossible. Pixel Density may vary by device. Best bet is to have a friend in another SRV line up using land marks multiple times and measure over time. Otherwise from the air we would need a tool that we dont have in ED right now.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast