Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien bases grow - With an important update at Page 4

Sorry, but it's fake incorrect.

Site (Mel 22 Sector ZU-P C5-1 4A) at 29 Jun http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=959000731
    Site (Mel 22 Sector ZU-P C5-1 4A) at 01 Aug http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1097015978
    http://spacesim.net/elite/ — Elite Dangerous Pilot's Guide

Originally Posted by [FG] View Post (Source)
    Sorry, but it's fake.

Site (Mel 22 Sector ZU-P C5-1 4A) at 29 Jun http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=959000731
    Site (Mel 22 Sector ZU-P C5-1 4A) at 01 Aug http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1097015978
    Can confirm. Canonn believes this is fake, unless proven otherwise.

Hold me, I'm scared.

Sigh - if you know how to edit your OP then put the changes there, links into the middle of the thread - sheesh
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 95.4% complete

'Fake' is a bit harsh...makes it sound like a deliberate attempt to deceive. 'Incorrect' would be better, methinks.

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    'Fake' is a bit harsh...makes it sound like a deliberate attempt to deceive. 'Incorrect' would be better, methinks.
    An "error" may sound better.

I rotated and scaled my two records... the picture posted on page 4 was incorrect. left one is HIP 14909, right one is indeed Mel 22 sector
    --CMDR Protoenchen
    greetings from the void!

Look guys, I've posted my finds based on my research. Measures and all. If you'd like to contribute feel free to continue.

Originally Posted by Friedenreich Xante View Post (Source)
    Apparently Thargoids have Technology to grow organic stuff out of rock. See barnacles. Now look at this. The scavengers are kinda helping it grow, like gardeners of some sort.
    When they're done with the Thargoids they can take a look at my garden. Come to think of it, the guttering needs looking at too.

Originally Posted by Spiridon View Post (Source)
    Look guys, I've posted my finds based on my research. Measures and all. If you'd like to contribute feel free to continue.
    Just for reference in case it wasn't clear, I'm not saying that what you're looking at is right or wrong (I have no idea), I'm simply pointing out (to others) that you believe it may be true. It's not something you're inventing for fun.

Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity

I'm sceptical until research is more thorough than the evidence being presented.

For overhead pictures, you need a series of them taken over a long period from the exact same spot with the exact same 'camera' at the exact same altitude by the exact same CMDR, same FoV, focus, blur settings etc.

The theory also includes the possibility that they're gaining structure as well as growing - in that case such new structure would be visible on the ground - so someone needs to also park a ship nearby by and stay there - for days or even weeks, periodically taking a picture from the same spot using the same FoV, focus, and zoom settings and under similar lighting conditions - only then could you say for certain that these things are gaining more structure.

If Frontier are using their 'being able to change assets without a server reboot/maintenance' technology, then staying put for days or weeks and logging out for a while then back in (so any such change in these game assets has a chance to happen), and if these things are growing/gaining structure, over time this will become more clearly evident.

Originally Posted by optimal_909 View Post (Source)
    I think these structures change when the server ticks, and it is not a continuous, smooth growth.
    I was suspecting this will happen and I'm glad to see (soft) evidence.
    Absolutely. IF they are growing/changing, it's extremely unlikely it'd be a continuous animation. It's far more likely they would just spawn a version of the unknown structure model based on a timestamp, each time the first Cmdr enters the instance.

Seeing the few photos we have, I belive there are three plausible options:

1) They do actually grow (which is really exciting!)
    2) It's a case of a "model swap" as someone pointed somewhere. glitch?
    3) The lighting is affecting our perceptions. Such as <--> vs >--<.

Unfortunately I am travelling so no Elite Dangerous for me for a week.
    I propose we create a database of all photos in time. We should establish conditions on how to take the photo (for instance, at 1000m altitude over the ground (not the spire), north always pointing upwards the screenshot, etc.

IF we do that correctly we can use the images and basic maths (trigonometry) to calculate the exact measures. We should also measure exactly the altitude of the central spire, and at least 1 or 2 of the different structures in order to really appreciate the diferences.

Also my thoughs is that if they are actually growing, sites that were before inactive may actually become active in due time. This should also be monitored.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

My mate who measured the site with me saw this thread and said "man, I took a picture the first time we were there too". So I sent him my pic from yesterday and he did this. (thx Ivan) Now the fact it was 4.000 m and became 4.800 m is somehow less important...

The left picture is clearly taken when the ship is moving fast, not a best way to compare and draw conclusions

Originally Posted by CaptainKremmen View Post (Source)
    They LIVE!
    If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast