Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Prison Brake (07.08.3303 - 13.08.3303)

I have submitted a bug report on the crashing through pads issue, if anyone else wants to include their info and visual evidence. The report is here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ow-Landing-Pad

Here's my video.

Originally Posted by ZX Spectrum View Post (Source)

I could quite happily fly around, just could not get out.
    Well, it is a 'prison' colony

I just did my first tentative run. I had problems landing at the first base until I remembered to put my landing gear down. Then I was over enthusiastic chasing MH and crashed out of supercruise as I was going too fast. And then I made a complete mess of approaching Kellearn Ring. On the plus side I did avoid a fine at one of the colonies and didn't get shot

Intent to race ...

Open Unlimited
    Imperial Courier
    The Sans Serif

(new Buckyball race from 21 - 29 October : click banner for full race details)

Intent to race

CMDR Polly
    Eagle regular
    Ship name: Blóðugr Örn

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Intent to race ...

Open Unlimited
    Imperial Courier
    The Sans Serif

http://i.imgur.com/XpEFfq9.jpg
    The Sans Serif looks awesome with the new paintjob Alec.

Originally Posted by ZX Spectrum View Post (Source)
    Had much fun on an earlier run, having hit the pad at Mitterand at speed and ended wedged beneath. Stuck fast. 3000 Cr in fines and now a WANTED CMDR. Had to restart in non-Horizons, or I would still be there!
    Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Heh, I have also "successfully" crashed through the pad and gotten stuck.
    Sorry to hear that! It never happened to me during trials (to be fair, it happened several times around the universe, never at Barcelo, but probably because I never tried to faceplant into it)

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Intent to race ...

Open Unlimited
    Imperial Courier
    The Sans Serif

http://i.imgur.com/XpEFfq9.jpg
    This livery palette is screaming "80's!!" at my face. Spiffy.

Originally Posted by Polly View Post (Source)
    Intent to race

CMDR Polly
    Eagle regular
    Ship name: Blóðugr Örn

With the first day of racing already behind and six more to go, we have received the first reports from pilots successfully completing the course: time for the first leaderboards update!

The first two contenders in the Eagle class are Buckyball regular cmdr Stern Winter and first-timer cmdr Loulou230, with the former making clever use of the Slink's Eye "boost start" claiming the preliminary first place in the Burning Penguin. Loulou230's performance in The Arrow is nonetheless very solid for a pilot at his/her racing debut, also considering the difficulty of the course and the dangers along it. The Buckyball Racing Club salutes you cmdr!

The Race Direction reminds to any pilot competing in the Eagle Regular class that a pre-launch screenshot of the ship's module panel is mandatory.

The Open Unlimited class is also a two pilots affair for now, with cmdr Jak in the Enigma Shuttle keeping a substantial advantage over ZX Spectrum's CELERITAS LUCIS, probably managed through Jak's absolutely gruesome faceplanting approaches at the penal colonies landing pads. Leave some resemblance of landing pads for the other pilots too, cmdr!

If for some reason you get "Unsuitable terrain" when trying to dock on the prison pad, don't hang around for too long:

I guess the pad had been damaged earlier...

I'm not going to comment on Alec's monstrosity , but my deepest respect to anybody actually completing the course. I had three aborted attempts this evening. One mangled approach to Mitterand Hollow, followed by a server crash, once left with 50% engines after getting away from Ekhi, and finally two emergency drops on Mitterand Hollow...

And I noticed something, which requires an arbitration from the judges. When I do a screenshot in VR from my Keelback, I can see either the location or the HUD clock, but not both (see image). Which one would be relevant for the race, if one is sufficient - or will I need to run a video recording in this case?

If I'm bigger than you, then I'm in charge.
    If you are bigger than me, then you're in charge.
    If anything goes wrong, then he's in charge.
    -- credo of the orc marines

You can take the screenshots of hud clock area only, on the status window just below there should be a "Landing Successful" message once you have, well, landed successfully , so I'm good with that.

I'm sorry for all the difficulties you are encountering, this race may be indeed a bit difficult for pilots not accustomed to speed dockings/landings, not counting the approach to Mitterand Hollow...or to be correct, the approach of Mitterand Hollow to you.

Pst, are we going to get a leaderboard update? I'm jonesin' for info over here.

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    I'm sorry for all the difficulties you are encountering, this race may be indeed a bit difficult for pilots not accustomed to speed dockings/landings, not counting the approach to Mitterand Hollow...or to be correct, the approach of Mitterand Hollow to you.
    Don't be. I'm not complaining - it's a different kind of challenge, and I'm having fun. My main problem with Mitterand Hollow is to find out, during the approch, where the orbital plane of the moon actually is and which way round it's going.
    Yes, I could simplify that (and some other things) by switching on orbital lines. But that would be boring
    I'm confident that I can put in at least one completed race by Sunday.

Unsuitable terrain... yep. I guess it's that box standing around there (no, that's definitely not the bump from bouncing a Keelback off it. No Sir. That one's barely noticeable, really. A mere scratch.). Additional problem: if you get stuck (with the landing gear?) on that box or blast shields, you also can't slide forward (or backwards) to the pad center. By the time this race is finished, I guess we'll all be seeing those colonies from the inside...
    If I'm bigger than you, then I'm in charge.
    If you are bigger than me, then you're in charge.
    If anything goes wrong, then he's in charge.
    -- credo of the orc marines

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Pst, are we going to get a leaderboard update? I'm jonesin' for info over here.
    Bad news: there are no updates in Open Unlimited.
    Good news: this means you are still in first position!

No new runs for the Open leaderboard indeed, but there are updates in the Eagle Regular class!

Cmdr Polly made her debut run in the grisly-named Eagle Blóðugr Örn, safely completing a full run of the three penal colonies in a respectable 19:40 and therefore being the first pilot to get under the 20 minutes barrier in the Eagle Regular. Her record didn't last long though, since cmdr Stern Winter reclaimed again the first place a few hours later, improving his first run by more than 3 minutes!

Good news: this means you are still in first position!
    Wait what? Somehow I missed several posts. Weird. And yay!

...probably managed through Jak's absolutely gruesome faceplanting approaches at the penal colonies landing pads. Leave some resemblance of landing pads for the other pilots too, cmdr!
    What doesn't kill us, only makes us faster.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast