Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: 2.4 - The Return Beta Information

Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    In case you haven't seen in Newsletter #186 which was sent out today, or if you don't subscribe to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter (you should!) we've announced details for the Beta for 2.4 The Return!

Here's what was posted in the Newsletter:
    Seriously Looking forward to this. I am also looking forward to a new season.
    Give a young man a wireframe ship and dare him to travel amongst the stars.
    Imagination illuminates the darkness of the world and provides us with glimpses of what reality could be.

Originally Posted by Sarah Jane Avory View Post (Source)
    You shall have that.

So will this make skimmers easier or harder to kill? Also, any chance we can see an improvement in Stinger behaviour? The almost never pose a threat to my SRV!

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    It's VERY unlikely that there will be any anti Thargoid weapon in 2.4. This first introduction will show us how they have superior technology. I think there will also be no full scale war just yet, there will be some skirmishes and it will be possible to destroy or force them to retreat with huge effort. These encounters will make it possible to develop anti thargoid weapons for a later update with the joint efforts of CMDRs and super powers.
    Introducing some special anti thargoid weapon at the same time they arrive doesn't make any sense from a story telling point of view.
    Season 2: Horizons, leading up to 2.4 The Return
    If FD hadn't announced that they want to get away from the Season's model, I'd venture a guess:

Season 3: War
    3.1 Skirmish -> learn how to fight them with existing weapons
    3.2 Retreat -> Yeah well, that didn't turn out too good. Learn Strategies and Tactics. including extending Brave Sir Robin to a bubble-wide scale
    3.3 Hope -> New scientific developments for weapons and armor
    3.4 Stalemate -> entrenched positions with neither side making any progress

Season 4: Diplomacy - with Space Legs for Humans and Thargoids in 4.4 The Meeting

Season 5: Betrayal

Season 6: Coexistence

Season 7: The Monsters From Andromeda

It's not the story, but the way you tell it - and in that, FD do a great job.
    If I'm bigger than you, then I'm in charge.
    If you are bigger than me, then you're in charge.
    If anything goes wrong, then he's in charge.
    -- credo of the orc marines

Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    ...or if you don't subscribe to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter (you should!)...
    Elite: Dangerous newsletter stopped coming a long time ago, and I'm not sure where I go to sign up again? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    I'm intolerant towards intolerance...

Dale, can we expect a Dev Update from Sandro (talking about non-Thargoid things of course) before the beta drops?

Must voice my protest at giving away beta access; you charged people for the privilege of beta access and now give it away for free? Other than that gripe looking forward to the release.

Excited! Looking forward to be obliterated with style.
    "Foxtrott-Romeo-Alpha" - CMDR Francis G. Blackly - Soldier of Fortune since 3270
    Pilot of the Asp Explorer
    "DSE Cayetano Valdès" <- Click for Coriolis Data
    Be a commander, fly a spaceship, live the adventure.

Originally Posted by Wolf Starslayer View Post (Source)
    Must voice my protest at giving away beta access; you charged people for the privilege of beta access and now give it away for free? Other than that gripe looking forward to the release.
    The initial beta is still closed. And while i have payed for a lifelong beta access, i welcome the following open beta period to stress test the build.
    Changes to network code, stability and such things are best done under maximum workload, to assure the best outcome of the final release. Good choice by Frontier.
    "Foxtrott-Romeo-Alpha" - CMDR Francis G. Blackly - Soldier of Fortune since 3270
    Pilot of the Asp Explorer
    "DSE Cayetano Valdès" <- Click for Coriolis Data
    Be a commander, fly a spaceship, live the adventure.

I couldn't agree more. How dare them to stress test parts of the code before releasing to the public? It should be locked behind a paywall, and hope for the best on release day.
    s!
    The Order of Mobius
    Elite Explorer, Tycoon trader, Expert fighter and mellow friend.

Yeap, that's sooner than I expected Great news !
    I've seen Earth from space and now it doesn't look like home anymore...
    It feels more like a bed from which I woke up.

Originally Posted by oscarolim View Post (Source)
    I couldn't agree more. How dare them to stress test parts of the code before releasing to the public? It should be locked behind a paywall, and hope for the best on release day.
    s!
    While I agree with a limited stress test I'm pointing out that they charged people for the 'exclusivity' of beta access and giving it away on every beta would devalue that exclusivity they thought they had paid for.

So call it an open Gamma test and then everybody's happy!

While I agree with a limited stress test I'm pointing out that they charged people for the 'exclusivity' of beta access and giving it away on every beta would devalue that exclusivity they thought they had paid for.
    Yes they did. And also they charged some people £20 for the game, others got it for £10. Some bought a car for £20k and was later sold for £15k.
    Things change and evolve.
    Do you want to keep the exclusivity of beta and have buggy releases, or do you want to open that exclusivity at a later point and have less buggy releases?
    The Order of Mobius
    Elite Explorer, Tycoon trader, Expert fighter and mellow friend.

To sum up Newsletter #186, it tells us what we Beta testers not getting to see and and thus not getting to test and what the reward for this testing the unknown will be. Frankly, I'm not so much into badges. So in my case, if you want me to help Beta testing or even downloading this thing on the 17th, you probably could be a tad more talkative..?

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why any Alien related infos can't be revealed as yet. But I also expect a lot of technical improvements in 2.4 that can't be all that secretive.

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Don't get me wrong, I fully understand why any Alien related infos can't be revealed as yet. But I also expect a lot of technical improvements in 2.4 that can't be all that secretive.
    I'm pretty sure those things (i.e. bugfixes and improvements) will be in the patch notes that we'll get alongside the 2.4 beta, so you'll still be able to decide what to do then...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast