Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: I'm Baaaaaaack!!! Some post-exploration thoughts.

No pics to share? Very disappointed
    "Kill Your Speed, Not Your Credit Balance."

Originally Posted by SH4RK-B1TE View Post (Source)
    No pics to share? Very disappointed
    You talking to me? You talking to me?? Haha, I put my pics in the "screenshots" thread. Here's one from a certain nebula that I'll not name lest it be a spoiler for someone. You can see all my screenshots on my Twitter account.
    I used to love Elite: Dangerous... Someday I hope to love it again.

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    You talking to me? You talking to me?? Haha, I put my pics in the "screenshots" thread. Here's one from a certain nebula that I'll not name lest it be a spoiler for someone. You can see all my screenshots on my Twitter account.
    Nice tweets! I may do a twitter when I get round to doing proper exploring.
    "Kill Your Speed, Not Your Credit Balance."

Just wanted to add a little as I agree with a lot of what Old Duck says about exploration. Especially around that sort of paranoia that starts to set in when the data piles up. I'm actually not too annoyed about that fact, since you can go with beefier builds (especially in the AspX) that enable to you deal with certain pitfalls on the journey itself. However, it can lead to some interesting behaviors from players which may or may not be intended.

But I think it's also the AI behaviors that make me a bit frustrated (and amused) though. So I saw a passenger mission for 25m CR for a 11klyr trip. Not too bad for this sort of thing, so I tried it. Unfortunately, with the 2-strike system on these VIPs, it can get rather rough. First strike was leaving the allied station because they decided to pick that one time to scan me on the way out. Oh well. Second strike was when I got a bit of warp fatigue and smacked into a star, piled on top of a couple Neutron Star jumps. Still 5kly from the bubble on the way back, the VIP demands to be taken to a station within 30 minutes. Well, there's no station within 30 minutes, so he just ejects 5kly away from pretty much anything. Both frustrated at the 25m credits I didn't get paid (thankfully the data was worth 61m on its own), but also amused at the idea of this guy being so off he's willing to accept almost certain death for 6 people instead of sticking it out with the driver who is actively trying to get them back.

Nice one! I'm currently parked up for the night on a planet one jump away from one!

I have a unrelated question.

why does it always dump you out in front of a star??

Originally Posted by skullblits View Post (Source)

Gravity. You can actually be dumped out in front of a black hole if you're lucky enough to find one.
    I used to love Elite: Dangerous... Someday I hope to love it again.

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Gravity. You can actually be dumped out in front of a black hole if you're lucky enough to find one.
    well what if your jumping to a system from a side that the sun is on the other side of the system??

well what if your jumping to a system from a side that the sun is on the other side of the system??
    The gal map uses the star itself to plot the route. When you make a jump, the class of the upcoming star is displayed in the upper right corner of your hud. They're like anchor points...

Travel would be insufferable if the FSD dumped you out at a gas giant and you then had to go find a star to refuel and make the next jump.

Originally Posted by Mysturji View Post (Source)
    Asteroid bases can often be found in nebulae.
    This has just helped me out loads, cheers I was parked up in the elephant trunk nebula right next to the system that had a base lol sold my Cartographic data (6 mil from mainly honking) so now I feel like doing some detailed scanning in the area and carrying on much further

I even restocked the heat sink my vita accidently activated when I placed it on the table lol

In space, no one can hear you scream!

In a nut shell; Our sun is a star, and stars may or may not have items orbiting it such as planets. Which means the a star is in the center of everything orbiting around it. Whereas everything revolves around the sun and thus conatantly moving, The sun is a source of consitant measurement.
    https://inara.cz/data/sigs/78/78744.png

Fill that which is empty; Empty that which is full; Scratch where it itches!

13. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #43
    What you might consider "the other side of the system" is constantly changing as the system layout changes depending on where planets, moons etc. are in orbit. While the System Map shows everything in a neat line, in-game looks very different! There are some cool time-lapse videos on YouTube that show the orbits in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXzhbGuKY0

Originally Posted by Lloyd Morgan-Moore View Post (Source)
    What you might consider "the other side of the system" is constantly changing as the system layout changes depending on where planets, moons etc. are in orbit. While the System Map shows everything in a neat line, in-game looks very different! There are some cool time-lapse videos on YouTube that show the orbits in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXzhbGuKY0
    Writing an algorithium that controls the movements of of a few planets in a single star system which can be aquaited to any or all of the rest of the stars in a game is considerably easier than attempting to write an algorithium for the control of multitude of stars which are known to be 400+ billion. I mean, just viewing the orbit lines in one system causes people to turn off the orbit lines on occasion. Imagine if the game also contained the orbit lives for all the systems as the orbit the center of the galaxy. The screen would appear to be nothing but a white sheet of paper, one would have to zoom in a considerable distant after each and every instance. Simular to the way on can zoom in but only to a certain point of view, but zoom out to a point were as everything appears to be a dot.
    https://inara.cz/data/sigs/78/78744.png

Fill that which is empty; Empty that which is full; Scratch where it itches!

Hello CMDR's

If anyone is interested in a "physics" explanation, the main star is the center of gravity for each star system, and as such, acts as an anchor point for all rotating objects within it's gravitational grasp.

Outside the realm of real physics, now speaking of Elite game physics, your FSD is designed to target lock a strong gravitational force and draw you toward it at close to the speed of light, but dropping you out of warp, just before you (theoretically) hit the gravitational anchor or mass, i.e. the star (or black hole) itself.

Once your drive is discharged for jump, it creates a sub-space bubble around your ship, and as you enter sub-space, your going to be pulled at close to the speed of light toward the targeted gravitational mass.

We use a very similar effect when we send real spacecraft, minus any FSD, to slingshot around large planets, using their gravitational pull to attract and then slingshot away from the center of mass.

As in the movie the Right Stuff, you only need enough fuel to get you half way to the moon, and then the moon's gravity will pull you the rest of the way there.

Based in physics, but on some things, you suspend the rules for the sake of it being a game.

Be well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast