Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need to find Stations insanely close to landable bodies

Originally Posted by Themadoll View Post (Source)
    Hi there commanders.
    I need some serious help getting my SRV into the slot of a Coriolis space station orbiting planet B 1 of the Votatini system.
    Please come to Valigursky Orbital in the Votatini system at 18:00 game time Friday 23rd.
    I need YOU!
    23rd is Wednesday, did you mean today or next Friday or Wednesday?

Originally Posted by StarLightPL View Post (Source)
    23rd is Wednesday, did you mean today or next Friday or Wednesday?
    I messed up. I posted it when I had a lot of wine and was very tired :P
    I meant the 18th as in tonight...

o7

Anybody joining me tonight will need to send me a friend request.
    My commander's name is, not surprisingly, Themadoll.

o7

Thank you very much CMDR for letting me join

Originally Posted by MacrosTheBlack View Post (Source)
    Thank you very much CMDR for letting me join
    You are very welcome commander. I doubt we could have done it without your expert guidance...
    Thanks to Commanders Rinzler Black, Frank and Edward Robinson this is what I ended up doing.

You are very welcome commander. I doubt we could have done it without your expert guidance...
    Thanks to Commanders Rinzler Black, Frank and Edward Robinson this is what I ended up doing.

Yay! Well done guys ... that's really cool! It's kinda weird that the srv just passed right through the buildings and stuff, I can't quite imagine the collision damage model that would cause that tho. It's an unusual situation to be sure but you'd think the physics engine would still be doing its stuff for the two solid objects (station and srv).

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Yay! Well done guys ... that's really cool! It's kinda weird that the srv just passed right through the buildings and stuff, I can't quite imagine the collision damage model that would cause that tho. It's an unusual situation to be sure but you'd think the physics engine would still be doing its stuff for the two solid objects (station and srv).
    Some parts of the station were solid because I was bounced around quite violently to begin with, then I seemed to stop dead in space producing that orbiting effect as the station rotated around me. I'm not sure when I started to be ignored by physics but clearly the limit was reached when I struck any surface such as a landing pad or the outer skin.
    Do you think I should submit a bug report LoL?
    :)

o7

Haha, awesome. It's almost like FDev never intended that to happen...

Do the jumpjets on the SRV not work in space? My SRV has 4 pips in engines, most of the time, for jets.

PS: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Themadoll again. Grrrr... I'll be back
    EDIT: done.

Originally Posted by Teh Smoo View Post (Source)
    Haha, awesome. It's almost like FDev never intended that to happen...

Do the jumpjets on the SRV not work in space? My SRV has 4 pips in engines, most of the time, for jets.
    No they do not. Nor do they work in the station. Once you leave the Planet/moon's gravitaional influence your systems are effectively dead and although the jets make the right noises and show up as working they have no effect on your direction of travel. All you can do is make with a light show using your undeployable dual repeater and SRV lamps and repair/refuel
    Perhaps I should add this to the bug report LoL

o7

Originally Posted by StarLightPL View Post (Source)
    https://media.giphy.com/media/CBOFQfzFKKiha/giphy.gif
    PS: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Themadoll again. Grrrr... I'll be back
    You too kind but please save some for Commander Rinzler Black (aka MacrosTheBlack) who was very instrumental in our eventual success.

o7

You too kind but please save some for Commander Rinzler Black (aka MacrosTheBlack) who was very instrumental in our eventual success.

o7
    Dully noted and repped

Well done guys, dare to dream crazy!

I'm still intrigued how you managed to get the SRV into space in the first place, I didn't see that part in any of the videos.

Originally Posted by irongut View Post (Source)
    Well done guys, dare to dream crazy!

I'm still intrigued how you managed to get the SRV into space in the first place, I didn't see that part in any of the videos.
    I did try to record that but the stream failed.
    Basically we carried the SRV into orbit on the back of a T9 (Cmdr Frank).
    We started with a gentle vertical lift, then slowly lifted the nose to around 50 degrees. Once we had the angle we slowly accelerated to just short of 200m/s
    I think gravity left us at around 50km but don't quote me because I have a crap memory.
    The main thing is maintaining a steady pace or a gentle acceleration or else the velocity reverses bouncing the SRV into the air.

o7

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast