Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Looking for some advice on ships and progression

Looking for some advice on ships and progression

So Ive been playing for a shortish while, got myself a Cobra MKIII that I have kitted out pretty well. Currently grinding rep for Empire but I can see I need a lot of money to get the ships I want, the Clipper I hear is good when I get the rep and then the outfitting cost will be large too. I currently have 20 million and I'm making about 5 million per night doing the HIP 10716 and Wu Guinagi runs but thats getting repetitive to say the least.

My question is whats the next ship I should be looking at to help get some more cash quicker or just keep plugging away as I am now and then get a Clipper? I can see passenger missions seem to pay a fair bit but not sure of the best ship for those? Should I be looking at a ship with large tonnage and fit it out for rare trade runs? Or just stick with my Cobra MKIII and maybe slide in a first class cabin for a few passenger missions until I get the coin I need?

I've seen lots of different ideas and curious to see whats the best recommendation now as some of the posts are relatively old now. Not even sure if the Clipper should be my target ship. I like doing some exploring / trading / bounty hunting.

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by ConfusedHamster View Post (Source)
    So Ive been playing for a shortish while, got myself a Cobra MKIII that I have kitted out pretty well. Currently grinding rep for Empire but I can see I need a lot of money to get the ships I want, the Clipper I hear is good when I get the rep and then the outfitting cost will be large too. I currently have 20 million and I'm making about 5 million per night doing the HIP 10716 and Wu Guinagi runs but thats getting repetitive to say the least.

My question is whats the next ship I should be looking at to help get some more cash quicker or just keep plugging away as I am now and then get a Clipper? I can see passenger missions seem to pay a fair bit but not sure of the best ship for those? Should I be looking at a ship with large tonnage and fit it out for rare trade runs? Or just stick with my Cobra MKIII and maybe slide in a first class cabin for a few passenger missions until I get the coin I need?

I've seen lots of different ideas and curious to see whats the best recommendation now as some of the posts are relatively old now. Not even sure if the Clipper should be my target ship. I like doing some exploring / trading / bounty hunting.

Thanks in advance
    Hi! My way was Sidewinder -> Cobra 3 -> ASP Exp -> Python -> Anaconda -> Beluga -> FDL -> T9 -> Second Anaconda for mining -> my last ship is Federal Gunship for planet Assault Missions, now I will outfit and try Vulture, to see how it will perform in RES, and also my point (after I bought Python) was not to sell any ships I owned.

I think you should definitely target for ASP Ex, then may be Python or Clipper or T7. Python will be great for trading and passengers missions, with secretive or crime options, as it was best smuggling ship, and pretty great for escaping ship scans.

Originally Posted by ConfusedHamster View Post (Source)

Thanks in advance
    It depends on what you intend to do with your Clipper... A fairly A-rated Clipper is in the 90ish millions, consider 100 millions to have a comfortable rebuy cushion in reserve... So that a lot of money grinding. I think the longest in your situation will be to collect the money (16 days).

If you are more in combat, you could consider a Viper IV, as it shares some internals with your Cobra the investment can be quite small, and IMO it's definitely a wonderful PvE combat ship. Otherwise, an AspX for exploration, trading or passenger hauling ? I did a part of my ranking with the Empire as a VIP and sightseeing carrier with an AspX and an Orca, which was also quite profitable as I was allied with several minors factions around Imperial systems. And I did not feel grinding with that

I would aim for the Python. One of the few ships I have kept for the odd use.

My step from Cobra III was to Asp Explorer and rares running till I had the dosh for the Python.

edit....keep the Cobra though it's always useful to have your previous ship available to fall back on for insurance purposes should you run out of rebuy insurance
    "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams - Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I'd say work towards an Asp Explorer, very good all rounder, if you can deal with the annoying driftyness of it. (Clipper is the same though, so good practice!).
    The Python, while the best multirole ship by far, is incredibly expensive to outfit safely, and is somewhat of a coffin otherwise, talking around ~120,000,000cr for a good one.

So yeah, of your Cobra MkIII isn't cutting it, try the AspX. Epic jump range, and a good all rounder.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Asp explorer. You already have the money (around 20 mil) to fit one out nicely without a fuel scoop.

Like the cobra mkiiii it's a great all-rounder. With the added bonus of many more module options and greater jump range.

If it's just credits your after, do Ram Tah's Alien Ruins mission. 111 million credits covers just about anything short of an anaconda, with outfitting.
    Forget about Progression, there is none. There's no End Game to ever reach.
    There are no "levels" to gain.
    The only thing that progresses is your own skill and knowledge.
    Once you embrace this, the game becomes vastly more fun.

Just adding to the voices that say Asp Explorer is next logical step after Cobra. It does everything better except speed. It has been by far my most used ship.

Op your next ship could be a Type-7. Probably your first big ship, you can earn good money withg trading in a T7.

It's down to personal preference, but i feel there are a few milestone ships which are great to own at least once:

- Clipper
    - Python
    - T9
    - Anaconda

Cutter and Corvette are awesome to but more of an endgame grind.

Yes the Asp X is nice ship. It's not great in combat, mind, as it's a little sluggish and the disc-like shape essentially makes it a big flat target (although you should be fine against smaller ships) but it's a step up in trading from the Cobra and has the legs for exploring.

The Clipper is a lovely ship to fly once A Rated.

I'd go for the AspX then Python. The Clipper is a good ship but can only land on large pads so that rules out landing at Outpost. That may limit some trading and missions.

Might want to dip your toes into the Engineer pond if you haven't already, at least to bump up your FSD range.

Have fun.

When I was at your stage in the game, I traded my Cobra for a Dolphin and started doing passenger runs in that. In no time I had enough for an AspX. So as others have said, aim for an AspX as your next main ship, but I think a Dolphin is a good stepping stone as long as you don't mind avoiding all combat for a little while.

Putting a cabin in your Cobra (doesn't need to be first class) is also a good idea. Passengers paid for pretty much everything I have in game so far.

14. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #14
    Everyone will give you a different answer, and it's something that you kind of have to decide for yourself based on what you want to do. For me it was a Vulture, then I moved to trading because I find immense satisfaction doing that - got a T6, then a T7... then went back to the Vulture. It's still a beast even though I haven't got it to the pinnacle of where I plan to take that little beast.

There's no set progression. As long as you're having fun, you blaze that there trail yourself!
    Totally not a Thargoid sympathiser and/or servant. Honest.

Imperial, opulent, and endlessly rubbish with landing pads. :/

As many others have said it really depends on what you want to do. After my first exploration trip in my 11Ly jump range Cobra Mk. III I decided to buy a T6 in order to save up enough Credits to buy an Asp Explorer, so I could go on a proper journey.
    When I was back and looking to do some trading runs I used the T-6 for a long time (she's reserved for racing now) and then I upgraded to a T-7, but I really didn't get on with it and so very quickly traded it in for a Python to do trading in. 208t in a much easier to manoeuvre ship, lovely.

That's where I've stopped really, don't have anything bigger as I much prefer small and medium ships. Other than my original 2 1/2 year old Cobra, Asp and Python all my other ships are for racing

Elite

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast