Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: On The Issue Of Moderators Closing / Locking Threads For No Valid Reason

On The Issue Of Moderators Closing / Locking Threads For No Valid Reason

Firstly, I want it clear that the moderators of this forum do a very great job and it's a thankless task (so thank you for that). My feedback below is not to be interpreted as criticism or a rant, but merely feedback, this being the "Forum Support & Feedback" section.

So ...

Yes Moderators do lock threads for very valid and good reasons. I have seen way too often however, threads get locked because "the discussion was going nowhere" or "that's enough". While yes a discussion may be going nowhere, I don't see that as a valid reason to lock a thread.

Funny story about another forum I lurk on and rarely post on ... I started a thread, asking a question. It was a question no-one was asking or something no-one was talking about. It was about something I had noticed and my curiosity was going into overdrive for an answer, so like I said, I started a thread. Before anyone could answer my question, the thread was locked and no reason was given. I posted a new thread in that forum's support section asking why, as I didn't even know which moderator had locked my thread. Here is the answer I was given ...

"I closed it because it was retarded ..." He/she/it then went on to moan about having to give a reason.

When I see reasons given on this forum for threads being locked like "this is going nowhere" I can't help but think back to being told my thread was "retarded".

Basically what I am saying is, I see too many threads closed for reasons I don't consider are enough to warrant the thread being closed. Maybe I am wrong, this after all, just feedback, as I explained above.
    When you need me, but do not want me, I must stay ... When you want me, but do not need me, I must go.

2. This is the last staff post in this thread. #2
    I've not come across a post from our moderators that depicts what you're quoting: "I closed it because it was retarded." Moderators who post like that will be removed.

Yes Moderators do lock threads for very valid and good reasons. I have seen way too often however, threads get locked because "the discussion was going nowhere" or "that's enough". While yes a discussion may be going nowhere, I don't see that as a valid reason to lock a thread.
    Threads that go in circles, or are prone to ungodly huge beaten-horse arguments are closed sooner than later.
    - Brett C / bc
    Forum & Community Manager

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    I've not come across a post from our moderators that depicts what you're quoting: "I closed it because it was retarded." Moderators who post like that will be removed.
    Hi Brett, maybe I didn't make it clear enough, but the retarded comment was not made by anyone on this forum, it was something that happened on another forum (I won't name because they don't deserve the attention) ... let me quote the part in my post again that the retarded comment came from (in case you missed it) ...

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    Funny story about another forum I lurk on and rarely post on ... I started a thread, asking a question. It was a question no-one was asking or something no-one was talking about. It was about something I had noticed and my curiosity was going into overdrive for an answer, so like I said, I started a thread. Before anyone could answer my question, the thread was locked and no reason was given. I posted a new thread in that forum's support section asking why, as I didn't even know which moderator had locked my thread. Here is the answer I was given ...

"I closed it because it was retarded ..." He/she/it then went on to moan about having to give a reason.
    Anyway, the moderators in this forum are chosen well and do a great job.
    When you need me, but do not want me, I must stay ... When you want me, but do not need me, I must go.

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    Anyway, the moderators in this forum are chosen well and do a great job.
    I in no way resemble that remark....