Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: Is There A Reason Why Anything British Has To Be Dickens-Level Depressing?

  1. #31
    [QUOTE=Bran Tse Mallory;5817971]At least we are not all filled with hatred towards anything different from ourselves. The sheer amount of racist propaganda I see and hear from the USA makes me sick. Then there are the ridiculous arguments about guns... Why do they feel the need to open carry an AK47.

    It's a place I never want to visit.

    Are you scared to leave the house lol, just returning from a week trip to Redbay Alabama and I'm sorry to say after being in the 'deep south' in an open carry state only Leo's and security guards had weapons.

    The anti American bigotry that is so prevalent today is just sad really.

    You can keep the abject Dickens fueled, wet cold misery I'm off to the beach and then back to home to the other beach.

    On the subject of weather and how the English moan about it, what do you expect ? A returning tropical current and proximity to a polar continental air mass will give you nothing different! Yet the news and people and my family always moan...

    Regards.

    Edited for typo's

  2. #32
    Originally Posted by FrankMurphy View Post (Source)
    ..........
    On the subject of weather and how the English moan about it, what do you expect ? A returning tropical current and proximity to a polar continental air mass will give you nothing different! Yet the news and people and my family always moan...

    ............
    The reason that we BRITISH talk about the weather is that we are very polite and considerate to others and so we choose a non-controversial subject for light conversation, particularly with strangers.

    Of course everything else about our group of islands is almost perfect so the slight variability in an otherwise moderate, temperate maritime climate provides something to talk about.


  3. #33
    I think it's something in the tea.

  4. #34
    Originally Posted by Bran Tse Mallory View Post (Source)
    At least we are not all filled with hatred towards anything different from ourselves.
    It's easy for people to get the opposite impression of the UK, depending on what they look at.

    Most people are pretty much crap and most groups of people are worse than the sum of their parts.

    Originally Posted by Bran Tse Mallory View Post (Source)
    Why do they feel the need to open carry an AK47.
    Why do people feel the need to tell them not to?

    Originally Posted by Bran Tse Mallory View Post (Source)
    If this were even remotely the case 50% of its population would be in law enforcement.
    All the bullies I went to high-school with that weren't smart/charismatic enough to make it in politics, business, or organized crime (so about two thirds of them) are now police officers.

  5. #35
    Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    ...........
    Why do people feel the need to tell them not to?

    ..........
    (from Wikipedia): In 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 U.S. citizens), and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms" (10.6 deaths per 100,000 U.S. citizens).

    from Reuters:

    Militia at Charlottesville:





  6. #36
    At least you don't have the disgusting level of sanctimony and self righteousness of Canada's university crowd. "Let's protest because we like to! We don't need to understand the issues! Anyone who doesn't agree with us is evil! If someone challenges your beliefs we'll all shame them!" The sad part is I agree with their position on most issues, I just hate the unchallenged, trendy sanctimony that belittles the very issues they pretend to care about for the sake of popularity. It's shallow, fake and naive. They hurt their own case, the same case I would make. Being a left-winger (if I had to be pigeonholed), there's nothing better than seeing a left-winger wince and cringe when confronted by their own beliefs. Turns out most of them are just looking for popularity and are just selfish me-people, like any right wing despot.

    Oh, I can get it there! But I'm going to need a lot ​of money.

  7. #37
    Minonian is offline
    This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Minonian's Avatar
    Originally Posted by PigKiller View Post (Source)
    I think it's something in the tea.
    Actually? Bergamott is inflammatory, and jasmine is relaxing.
    OMG it's full of photon torpedoes. :D
    [CENTER]CMDR Minonian.[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Ranks; [COLOR=#daa520]Elite[/COLOR], entrepreneur 44%, [COLOR=#0000ff]Elite[/COLOR], [COLOR=#ff0000]professional 26%
    [/COLOR]fed; Rear Admiral, Imp, Knight.[COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR]Ships; Asp; Void walker, Python; Vindicator, Anaconda; Tiamat, Cobra MK III; Uraeus, Fed Corvette; Ace of hearts.[/CENTER]

  8. #38
    Originally Posted by Minonian View Post (Source)
    Actually? Bergamott is inflammatory, and jasmine is relaxing.
    Hmmm. What is Lipton's then?
    "Are you people working under the assumption that playing Elite is meant to be fun?"

    "The elite dictionary does not have the word sympathy in it but has about 500 definitions of stupidity​"

    "
    The contempt with which the game treats it's players is not accidental. It's by design. The game hates you, that's just the way it is."

  9. #39
    Originally Posted by Ralph Vargr View Post (Source)
    Hmmm. What is Lipton's then?
    The company labels it as "tea", and it passes for tea in places like airports or hospital cafeterias.

    It's about the lowest quality beverage on the planet. I despise Liptons. If strangers offer me a cup, I decline and take plain hot water instead. More flavor.

    The teabags have utility for biting down on while having a bullet removed from the shoulder, or after a dental extraction.

    I can't prove it, but that whole American Revolution thing? I bet they got a shipment of Liptons down in Boston, and that insult just proved too much.

  10. #40
    Originally Posted by Robin of Spiritwood View Post (Source)
    The company labels it as "tea", and it passes for tea in places like airports or hospital cafeterias.

    It's about the lowest quality beverage on the planet. I despise Liptons. If strangers offer me a cup, I decline and take plain hot water instead. More flavor.

    The teabags have utility for biting down on while having a bullet removed from the shoulder, or after a dental extraction.

    I can't prove it, but that whole American Revolution thing? I bet they got a shipment of Liptons down in Boston, and that insult just proved too much.
    Lipton's isn't great, I don't like PG either.... dishwater, basically.

    Anyway, for the OP, to moan is to be British. On the other side of the coin we usually don't take ourselves too seriously (and tend not to trust people who do). This seems to be very weird to people who didn't grow up here.
    - Commander Chris the Hairy -
    - Dangerous/Broker/Pioneer -
    - No AspVulture Un-crashed -
    - Ships: #1 Cobra "HMS Nopehammer" #2 Asp "HMS Low Self Opinion" #3 Python "HMS Mug's Game" -
    - Decommissioned: #4 Vulture "HMS Glasgow Kiss" -

  11. #41
    Originally Posted by Ca$hback View Post (Source)
    At least you don't have the disgusting level of sanctimony and self righteousness of Canada's university crowd. "Let's protest because we like to! We don't need to understand the issues! Anyone who doesn't agree with us is evil! If someone challenges your beliefs we'll all shame them!" The sad part is I agree with their position on most issues, I just hate the unchallenged, trendy sanctimony that belittles the very issues they pretend to care about for the sake of popularity. It's shallow, fake and naive. They hurt their own case, the same case I would make. Being a left-winger (if I had to be pigeonholed), there's nothing better than seeing a left-winger wince and cringe when confronted by their own beliefs. Turns out most of them are just looking for popularity and are just selfish me-people, like any right wing despot.
    Having gone through university in the UK in the early 90s there was always an overly sanctimoniuos feel to student politics (on all sides of the political spectrum).

    Most students didn't care about the politics, and only used the student union for beer and sporting facilities.
    - Commander Chris the Hairy -
    - Dangerous/Broker/Pioneer -
    - No AspVulture Un-crashed -
    - Ships: #1 Cobra "HMS Nopehammer" #2 Asp "HMS Low Self Opinion" #3 Python "HMS Mug's Game" -
    - Decommissioned: #4 Vulture "HMS Glasgow Kiss" -

  12. #42
    Originally Posted by hairychris View Post (Source)
    Anyway, for the OP, to moan is to be British. On the other side of the coin we usually don't take ourselves too seriously (and tend not to trust people who do). This seems to be very weird to people who didn't grow up here.
    That's fairly accurate, along with forming an orderly queue and talking to strangers at bus stops (at least outside London). Watch Prime Minister's Question's at midday every Wednesday. Even that is a comedy fest. British politics is basically a game of who can take the out of whom the best... Trump just wouldn't hack it over here. He wouldn't get a look in. He's so obviously narcissistic, thin skinned and stupid he wouldn't last five minutes in a parliamentary debate.
    My build: A mortgage, car, two kids, a crap job and an AMD cpu.

  13. #43
    Minonian is offline
    This user was unable to follow the forum rules and ended up banned or suspended! :(
    Minonian's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Ralph Vargr View Post (Source)
    Hmmm. What is Lipton's then?
    Do you mean't Earl grey? Inflammatory and Diuretic stimulant. To me literally a medicine. (caffeine is diuretic)

    Originally Posted by Robin of Spiritwood View Post (Source)
    The company labels it as "tea", and it passes for tea in places like airports or hospital cafeterias.

    It's about the lowest quality beverage on the planet. I despise Liptons. If strangers offer me a cup, I decline and take plain hot water instead. More flavor.

    The teabags have utility for biting down on while having a bullet removed from the shoulder, or after a dental extraction.

    I can't prove it, but that whole American Revolution thing? I bet they got a shipment of Liptons down in Boston, and that insult just proved too much.
    Try twining's than.
    OMG it's full of photon torpedoes. :D
    [CENTER]CMDR Minonian.[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Ranks; [COLOR=#daa520]Elite[/COLOR], entrepreneur 44%, [COLOR=#0000ff]Elite[/COLOR], [COLOR=#ff0000]professional 26%
    [/COLOR]fed; Rear Admiral, Imp, Knight.[COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR]Ships; Asp; Void walker, Python; Vindicator, Anaconda; Tiamat, Cobra MK III; Uraeus, Fed Corvette; Ace of hearts.[/CENTER]

  14. #44
    Originally Posted by Minonian View Post (Source)
    Try twining's than.
    Having a pint right now. English Breakfast, made with Black Kenyan leaves.

  15. #45
    Since people have dared bring up the subject of Tea in this thread, you might find this a bit interesting:

    https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...bars-uk-coffee

    "A little steep: why are there no tea bars in the UK?

    British high streets are packed with coffee shops, but we’ve never taken to tea bars as they have in the US. And that’s not only because we have more kettles ... "

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast