Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is There A Reason Why Anything British Has To Be Dickens-Level Depressing?

Originally Posted by MalcYorks View Post (Source)
    Since people have dared bring up the subject of Tea in this thread, you might find this a bit interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...bars-uk-coffee

"A little steep: why are there no tea bars in the UK?

British high streets are packed with coffee shops, but we’ve never taken to tea bars as they have in the US. And that’s not only because we have more kettles ... "
    There are plenty of places to enjoy afternoon tea and buttered scones; most of them out in the country: Away from the riff-raff. The basic issue is, these places tend to pay U.K. taxes and so cannot compete with high street coffee chains.

Originally Posted by AceFlares View Post (Source)
    That's fairly accurate, along with forming an orderly queue and talking to strangers at bus stops (at least outside London). Watch Prime Minister's Question's at midday every Wednesday. Even that is a comedy fest. British politics is basically a game of who can take the out of whom the best... Trump just wouldn't hack it over here. He wouldn't get a look in. He's so obviously narcissistic, thin skinned and stupid he wouldn't last five minutes in a parliamentary debate.
    This is a fairly amusing primer that I've lent to various friends: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watching-En.../dp/0340818867

Taking the urine is pretty much a national characteristic. If you can't do that for pretty much any situation* you're just not British.

* I might have done that a bit reading the eulogy at my father's funeral, for example...

Originally Posted by hairychris View Post (Source)
    Lipton's isn't great, I don't like PG either.... dishwater, basically.

Anyway, for the OP, to moan is to be British. On the other side of the coin we usually don't take ourselves too seriously (and tend not to trust people who do). This seems to be very weird to people who didn't grow up here.
    Back in 2010 my uncle had us over in England, and stocked PG Tips. It was horrible. We fled to a hotel.
    He kindly sent us the box. So we retreated to the West Indies.
    One week later, my best friend visited at home, and lo! He had just come back from the UK with another box of PG Tips.

The nightmare never ends.

Originally Posted by Robin of Spiritwood View Post (Source)
    Back in 2010 my uncle had us over in England, and stocked PG Tips. It was horrible. We fled to a hotel.
    He kindly sent us the box. So we retreated to the West Indies.
    One week later, my best friend visited at home, and lo! He had just come back from the UK with another box of PG Tips.

The nightmare never ends.
    Ugh.

I know that a lot of my fellow countrypeople like PG. It's kinda rubbish - we have that in the kitchen at work... I bring my own - but I suppose that it's not Lipton's at least.

FWIW My regular daily brew is Waitrose Everyday breakfast teabags. I do generally prefer it over Twinings breakfast (or most of the other more poncey brands!). I do have some very nice loose Assam for special occasions.

EDIT: And there is a special circle of hell set aside for people who put milk in a mug along with a teabag. I mean, seriously. What do those imbeciles* think that they are doing??

* Yes, I might get banned for this statement!

We don't use bags in our house. We have loose leaf tea in one of three pots, or freshly ground coffee. Even insist on unsmoked bacon for breakfast sarnies.

Originally Posted by hairychris View Post (Source)
    This is a fairly amusing primer that I've lent to various friends: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Watching-En.../dp/0340818867

Taking the urine is pretty much a national characteristic. If you can't do that for pretty much any situation* you're just not British.

* I might have done that a bit reading the eulogy at my father's funeral, for example...
    Placed on my Amazon wish list.

I was at a Indie film event last night. Guy Richie turned up to receive an award. He sounds quite posh. Everyone got drunk on gin. It was in Mayfair so super expensive you have to pass several rough sleepers to get there. That's London for you. A Tail of two classes.

OMG I'm in the DMO http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-Festival.html Do I need to get a PR WHat legal right do they have to use my image?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234