Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: auto throttle on approach?

Another case I think it's a bug is planetary approach: sometimes I approach in the blue and < 200km/h but still am going too fast for orbital cruise for some reason
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 70% complete

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Another case I think it's a bug is planetary approach: sometimes I approach in the blue and < 200km/h but still am going too fast for orbital cruise for some reason
    That happened to me a couple of times, now I throttle to below the blue region on approach to planets. It's a crawl, but less so than dropping out of orbital cruise and finding myself 200 km from the target.

Could it depend on the gravity of the target planet? It's happened to me, too.

Originally Posted by cagian View Post (Source)
    Could it depend on the gravity of the target planet? It's happened to me, too.
    I thought it seemed to happen more on small planets (low grav as well) - wondered if they didn't allow for the shorter time needed for a small planet, so 'blue' seems to just accelerate into the planet.

Originally Posted by foobaron76 View Post (Source)
    That happened to me a couple of times, now I throttle to below the blue region on approach to planets. It's a crawl, but less so than dropping out of orbital cruise and finding myself 200 km from the target.
    Same here - throttle to 'half-blue' or even minimum, but putting it out there as some kind expert will tell us how it should be done (that's how I found out about the 7 second rule in the first place )

On approach don't exceed 6 seconds,if you do pull some hard turns as this will sometimes slow you.
    As soon as you're distance is into Mm you're good to throttle past 5 sec and you will glide in without overshoots.
    I use the left stick for my throttle(RC setup)so all my inputs are full throttle and zero throttle.

Originally Posted by cheesenbiscuits View Post (Source)
    On approach don't exceed 6 seconds,if you do pull some hard turns as this will sometimes slow you.
    As soon as you're distance is into Mm you're good to throttle past 5 sec and you will glide in without overshoots.
    I use the left stick for my throttle(RC setup)so all my inputs are full throttle and zero throttle.
    (Edit: Not clear who you are talking to) Doesn't work for all planet landings. Ok for stations.

edit: ok, I'm going to have to capture video next time it happens to convince myself (and others)
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 70% complete

Because the gravity of your target pulls towards it. NASA uses the gravity of some planets to boost the speed of their crafts.

(Edit: Not clear who you are talking to) Doesn't work for all planet landings. Ok for stations.

edit: ok, I'm going to have to capture video next time it happens to convince myself (and others)
    Sorry completely missed the mention of planets.
    If I have a target on a planet I use the 7 second rule,unless it high g or I don't have a target I guess and ensure the g meter stays around 4 bars.

UPDATE: i have a Thrustmaster. Key binding to 75% or 50% throttle doesn't work. Tried it multiple times last night it just keeps reverting throttle to zero. Not an issue for me (despite 3 loops last night!) but just sating I can't make it work.
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind

Originally Posted by foobaron76 View Post (Source)
    actually the trick is look at the distance and speed meter at about 10 o'clock in the cockpit.

1. As you approach close enough to the target planet,you will see a marker on the distance meter. This denotes your distance to target.

2. Just close your throttle to zero to see your speed marker spiraling down to the left edge of the speed meter which denotes your speed to target.

3. Adjust your throttle to 20 percent and the speed marker will speed up beyond the distance marker

4. Once the distance marker is 1/3 of the way down from the left, you should see the speed marker hovering above the distance marker. Adjust your throttle to match the 2 markers so that they are aligned with each other. This shows that the distance and speed to target of your ship is in the correct zone.

5. You can then watch as the now aligned markers spiral.their way down to the left of the meters in perfect synchronization with each other.use minor adjustments to throttle to maintain the 2 markers if necessary.

6. Once both markers hit the blue zone on the meters, the game will prompt us to disengage the fsd.

That's it. No need to memorize the 6 or 7 second rule.

My 2 cents.

Personal, I have my ads set to my 2nd trigger, thus when ever I'm in super or hyper there are two orange arc's on either side of my intended destination. Having my throttle set just a wee bit below the middle of the blue but still showing 7, I don't touch it again until the end of the glide. I fly sideways keeping one of the two orange arcs on the bottom of either the dotted or orange landing vector and chase it until I'm at 3000 meters from target. Level out, and head down or point at vector, and drop right down. Never ending any more than 10 to 20 ks from station. Once the glide starts, I throttle back to nutral. When the throttle is set in the mid blue, it throttles down by itself but it must be set prior to entering oc.

The only time I've ever had any problem is if and when I get interdicted just before or just after entering the oc. In which case, I win the mini game, go back up and restart my approach again.

Fill that which is empty; Empty that which is full; Scratch where it itches!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12