Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: auto throttle on approach?

  1. #16
    Another case I think it's a bug is planetary approach: sometimes I approach in the blue and < 200km/h but still am going too fast for orbital cruise for some reason
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 70% complete

  2. #17
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Another case I think it's a bug is planetary approach: sometimes I approach in the blue and < 200km/h but still am going too fast for orbital cruise for some reason
    That happened to me a couple of times, now I throttle to below the blue region on approach to planets. It's a crawl, but less so than dropping out of orbital cruise and finding myself 200 km from the target.

  3. #18
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Another case I think it's a bug is planetary approach: sometimes I approach in the blue and < 200km/h but still am going too fast for orbital cruise for some reason
    Could it depend on the gravity of the target planet? It's happened to me, too.

  4. #19
    Originally Posted by cagian View Post (Source)
    Could it depend on the gravity of the target planet? It's happened to me, too.
    I thought it seemed to happen more on small planets (low grav as well) - wondered if they didn't allow for the shorter time needed for a small planet, so 'blue' seems to just accelerate into the planet.

    Originally Posted by foobaron76 View Post (Source)
    That happened to me a couple of times, now I throttle to below the blue region on approach to planets. It's a crawl, but less so than dropping out of orbital cruise and finding myself 200 km from the target.
    Same here - throttle to 'half-blue' or even minimum, but putting it out there as some kind expert will tell us how it should be done (that's how I found out about the 7 second rule in the first place )

  5. #20
    On approach don't exceed 6 seconds,if you do pull some hard turns as this will sometimes slow you.
    As soon as you're distance is into Mm you're good to throttle past 5 sec and you will glide in without overshoots.
    I use the left stick for my throttle(RC setup)so all my inputs are full throttle and zero throttle.

  6. #21
    Originally Posted by cheesenbiscuits View Post (Source)
    On approach don't exceed 6 seconds,if you do pull some hard turns as this will sometimes slow you.
    As soon as you're distance is into Mm you're good to throttle past 5 sec and you will glide in without overshoots.
    I use the left stick for my throttle(RC setup)so all my inputs are full throttle and zero throttle.
    (Edit: Not clear who you are talking to) Doesn't work for all planet landings. Ok for stations.

    edit: ok, I'm going to have to capture video next time it happens to convince myself (and others)
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 70% complete

  7. #22
    Because the gravity of your target pulls towards it. NASA uses the gravity of some planets to boost the speed of their crafts.

  8. #23
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    (Edit: Not clear who you are talking to) Doesn't work for all planet landings. Ok for stations.

    edit: ok, I'm going to have to capture video next time it happens to convince myself (and others)
    Sorry completely missed the mention of planets.
    If I have a target on a planet I use the 7 second rule,unless it high g or I don't have a target I guess and ensure the g meter stays around 4 bars.

  9. #24
    UPDATE: i have a Thrustmaster. Key binding to 75% or 50% throttle doesn't work. Tried it multiple times last night it just keeps reverting throttle to zero. Not an issue for me (despite 3 loops last night!) but just sating I can't make it work.
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12