Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: auto throttle on approach?

Another case I think it's a bug is planetary approach: sometimes I approach in the blue and < 200km/h but still am going too fast for orbital cruise for some reason
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 70% complete

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Another case I think it's a bug is planetary approach: sometimes I approach in the blue and < 200km/h but still am going too fast for orbital cruise for some reason
    That happened to me a couple of times, now I throttle to below the blue region on approach to planets. It's a crawl, but less so than dropping out of orbital cruise and finding myself 200 km from the target.

Could it depend on the gravity of the target planet? It's happened to me, too.

Originally Posted by cagian View Post (Source)
    Could it depend on the gravity of the target planet? It's happened to me, too.
    I thought it seemed to happen more on small planets (low grav as well) - wondered if they didn't allow for the shorter time needed for a small planet, so 'blue' seems to just accelerate into the planet.

Originally Posted by foobaron76 View Post (Source)
    That happened to me a couple of times, now I throttle to below the blue region on approach to planets. It's a crawl, but less so than dropping out of orbital cruise and finding myself 200 km from the target.
    Same here - throttle to 'half-blue' or even minimum, but putting it out there as some kind expert will tell us how it should be done (that's how I found out about the 7 second rule in the first place )

On approach don't exceed 6 seconds,if you do pull some hard turns as this will sometimes slow you.
    As soon as you're distance is into Mm you're good to throttle past 5 sec and you will glide in without overshoots.
    I use the left stick for my throttle(RC setup)so all my inputs are full throttle and zero throttle.

Originally Posted by cheesenbiscuits View Post (Source)
    On approach don't exceed 6 seconds,if you do pull some hard turns as this will sometimes slow you.
    As soon as you're distance is into Mm you're good to throttle past 5 sec and you will glide in without overshoots.
    I use the left stick for my throttle(RC setup)so all my inputs are full throttle and zero throttle.
    (Edit: Not clear who you are talking to) Doesn't work for all planet landings. Ok for stations.

edit: ok, I'm going to have to capture video next time it happens to convince myself (and others)
    Maintainer of Palin Mission Guide, Alien Ruins FAQ and Shipments / Unknown Structure / Large Wreckage Sites Info.
    Current status: scanning skaudai, 70% complete

Because the gravity of your target pulls towards it. NASA uses the gravity of some planets to boost the speed of their crafts.

(Edit: Not clear who you are talking to) Doesn't work for all planet landings. Ok for stations.

edit: ok, I'm going to have to capture video next time it happens to convince myself (and others)
    Sorry completely missed the mention of planets.
    If I have a target on a planet I use the 7 second rule,unless it high g or I don't have a target I guess and ensure the g meter stays around 4 bars.

UPDATE: i have a Thrustmaster. Key binding to 75% or 50% throttle doesn't work. Tried it multiple times last night it just keeps reverting throttle to zero. Not an issue for me (despite 3 loops last night!) but just sating I can't make it work.
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind
    Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind Aint no Grind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12