Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Never First Discovered, But...

Originally Posted by Ralph Vargr View Post (Source)
    Because it requires human lifetimes to accomplish. Count every grain of sand in the Sahara, the 1% guys will never admit all the good stuff has been taken.
    You can be out of the bubble and into largely unexplored territory in about an hour, even with an average jump range (say, 25Ly-ish).

Pick a direction that isn't pointed directly at a major attraction and you'll be good.

A couple of days ago I posted this:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...tagged-systems

There were so many undiscovered systems I only stopped if I saw a ELW or water world. (Bearing in mind it was a 6k Ly trip.)

Since reading this thread yesterday, I killed my two assassination targets, picked up my Orca, took it to get refitted and to a couple of engineers, including the Prof. Then headed out.

I've got plenty of firsts, including a nice waterworld I just tagged. Now 1,800ly from Sol and I'm seeing plenty of systems both tagged and untagged.

I'm not much of an explorer, BGS is my thing. But since exploration is my most neglected stat, I thought I'd give it another go before the 'Goids come.

edit - just found an untagged system with 2 teraformable high metal and 3 waterworlds (one terraformable).

As the sphere of already discovered stuff gets pushed outwards it opens up more and more potential for easy new discoveries, as the layer of the closest unexplored systems contains many many more systems the further out we push it. So this is an issue that can only exist early on, and only if you limit how far you are willing to travel. We should be fine in the 1500-3000 layer for a long while yet.

Also, once 1000ly or so out, the whole notion that one must pick an "unconventional route" to find undiscovered systems is rubbish.

It's a long time since I went out exploring and this thread made me wonder if it had in fact become a lot more difficult to find undiscovered systems. Considering the number of stars in the Galaxy I doubted it, but ED explorers are tenacious so I could not be sure. With this in mind I took a longish range passenger mission last night (12,000 LY). On my first 1000 LY leg (32 jumps in my non engineered Asp), I found three completely undiscovered systems and one system with over 30 bodies that only the star had been discovered.

I can only assume the OP has just been unlucky.

Originally Posted by dayrth View Post (Source)

I can only assume the OP has just been unlucky.
    And, had a really bad day, when the thread was started.

Realistically you need to get out probably at least a 3 or 4 thousand LY from bubble.
    The further the better.
    Also don't aim for Colonial or Sagittarius A or anywhere mention in the forums/newsgroups.
    Then you'll get First Discovered on whole systems, all to yourself. 😁

Originally Posted by CMDR ANCALAGON View Post (Source)
    Also, once 1000ly or so out, the whole notion that one must pick an "unconventional route" to find undiscovered systems is rubbish.
    Not quite true, If you're going to a landmark of some sort you might hop on someone's trail. I was above Barnard's Loop and still hopped on someone's trail often.

OP, I think football and military taught you some perseverance. Like many others said, Adv. discovery scanner, Detailed Surface Scanner, Asp or DBX, pick a direction, fly bit by bit every day, and you will have your name on hundreds of stars before weekend.

Originally Posted by GeneralIdea1964 View Post (Source)
    Then you'll get First Discovered on whole systems, all to yourself. 
    Amazingly, at first you're tagging everything like a teenager in a fresh painted suburb, then after a while you tag just one planet or star leaving the rest for the next person after you. At least it was something I was doing after I think 2kLy.

Originally Posted by StarLightPL View Post (Source)
    Amazingly, at first you're tagging everything like a teenager in a fresh painted suburb, then after a while you tag just one planet or star leaving the rest for the next person after you. At least it was something I was doing after I think 2kLy.
    If I see that a CMDR has just cherry-picked a system, I'll tag just one planet or moon. i haven't come across any systems with numerous 'calling card' tags, but I hope they exist.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    If I see that a CMDR has just cherry-picked a system, I'll tag just one planet or moon. i haven't come across any systems with numerous 'calling card' tags, but I hope they exist.
    They certainly do.
    I find it sad when entering one of those systems and see all the remaining moons and outer planets have been tagged by one person.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    I have asteroid belt clusters.

Feeling much better, after the stress load down. I apologize for being too cranky.

I've been to SagA and Colonia on my current trip, and I took a straight path hitting the nebeula and deep space stations along the way, and I have yet to see another discovered system that is not a black hole or in a nebeula, and only a couple of the black holes were discovered.

I've had plenty of 1st to my name. One of em was right next door to my imperial mining system on the edge of the bubble, and a lot of them were within 1.3k ly.
    Most of them were within 5k ly, I left and returned within 3 days. (went to unlock Palin)

If you're finding a lot of already scanned systems, veer off the path! My first few completely-mine systems were after I had to make a detour for fuel and suddenly found myself in a LOAD of unscanned systems.

In terms of how I decide where to go, I simply check the Passenger Lounge for missions and pick one with an interesting name. Figured that if NPCs want to see it, I might want to see it too. I don't even bring the passengers (no room), I just use 'em for inspiration.

edit: See my avatar? That's an earthlike with my name on it. That was when I was traveling with my Clipper with a 15-20ly jumprange.. If that can get 1st discoveries, you can too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345