Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 170

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Removal of Win32 support for Elite Dangerous

  1. #151
    So 0.01% of 1.4 million is 14,000 Users.

    14,000 users will have to upgrade their 32 bit 'Raspberry Pi's'

  2. #152
    Originally Posted by LKx View Post (Source)
    Requiring dx12 would be unrealistic (i think that even making actual use of dx12 won't come anytime soon), but they already said they're gonna drop dx10 support too (probably for dx11+)
    Probably for Vulcun API's, as this serves all platforms. I doubt they will force everyone to W10 with either DX. It just makes more sense to move to open source graphics API's than it does remaining with a closed source API graphics set.

    Be well.


    "As a species, all of us are singularly unique. But in the end, humanity is not cosmically significant." (c) WRR-2017

  3. #153
    Originally Posted by Pyelot View Post (Source)
    So 0.01% of 1.4 million is 14,000 Users.
    Nope - it's 140.

    1400000 * (0.01 / 100)

    (click banner for guides, hint & tips, reference lists and much much more!)

  4. #154
    So thats all of us still using AmigaOS then?

  5. #155
    Isn't more likely to be the version of Windows rather than hardware as nearly all (both Intel and AMD) CPUs have been 64bit (apart from a few Atoms) for years now.
    The blackness of darkness forever.

    CMDR Redvers Ganderpoke (formerly Iron Orchid) - Explorer and Time Traveller extraordinaire and runner up to the Mars High "Rex Harrison" lookalike competition 3300 to 3302 - Aboard "Wrecker of Joy".
    CMDR Waldovenison Smeare - Explorer aboard the good ship "Sleepy Sam"; Winner of the "Dittmar Dock String Untangling Competition" 3299 - on my way to Elite.

  6. #156
    Originally Posted by Pyelot View Post (Source)
    32 bit 'Raspberry Pi's'
    I thought Pi were 64bit. The Pi 3 is anyway.
    The blackness of darkness forever.

    CMDR Redvers Ganderpoke (formerly Iron Orchid) - Explorer and Time Traveller extraordinaire and runner up to the Mars High "Rex Harrison" lookalike competition 3300 to 3302 - Aboard "Wrecker of Joy".
    CMDR Waldovenison Smeare - Explorer aboard the good ship "Sleepy Sam"; Winner of the "Dittmar Dock String Untangling Competition" 3299 - on my way to Elite.

  7. #157
    Originally Posted by CMDR Richard Daystrom View Post (Source)
    Probably for Vulcun API's, as this serves all platforms. I doubt they will force everyone to W10 with either DX. It just makes more sense to move to open source graphics API's than it does remaining with a closed source API graphics set.

    Be well.
    Then Again we ae talking of a Company that has investes alot on it's own Graphis engine (Cobra) and that is very buddy buddy with Microsoft ... so dropping DX in favor of a open source platform for Windows players, might not be on the road, making (cobra) compatible with Vulcan API, is a good idea because it opens even more market for Open Source S. O.'s , although we have not seen Frontier show much interest in open source S. O.'s!

    Correct me if i'm wrong Frontier !

  8. #158
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Nope - it's 140.

    1400000 * (0.01 / 100)
    If those 140 players have any trouble getting a new PC and 64 bit SO, they should ask the rest of the community for a crowdfunding

  9. #159
    Originally Posted by Darkminded View Post (Source)
    If those 140 players have any trouble getting a new PC and 64 bit SO, they should ask the rest of the community for a crowdfunding
    I suspect you could cobble together 140 PCs from bits people have lying around.
    The blackness of darkness forever.

    CMDR Redvers Ganderpoke (formerly Iron Orchid) - Explorer and Time Traveller extraordinaire and runner up to the Mars High "Rex Harrison" lookalike competition 3300 to 3302 - Aboard "Wrecker of Joy".
    CMDR Waldovenison Smeare - Explorer aboard the good ship "Sleepy Sam"; Winner of the "Dittmar Dock String Untangling Competition" 3299 - on my way to Elite.

  10. #160
    Originally Posted by Darkminded View Post (Source)
    Then Again we ae talking of a Company that has investes alot on it's own Graphis engine (Cobra) and that is very buddy buddy with Microsoft ... so dropping DX in favor of a open source platform for Windows players, might not be on the road, making (cobra) compatible with Vulcan API, is a good idea because it opens even more market for Open Source S. O.'s , although we have not seen Frontier show much interest in open source S. O.'s!

    Correct me if i'm wrong Frontier !
    Given that Vulkan wasn't even a thing when the Cobra engine was designed and that it would mean a major rewrite of said engine to be Vulkan compatible, can you blame them? They have invested a lot in their graphics engine and changing it to Vulkan wouldn't be cost effective & definitely wouldn't help the Mac lot - as their OS doesn't even support it either.
    My System:
    AMD Athlon 860k, MSI A88X-G45 Gaming MoBo, 16GB DDR3, Asus Strix GTX 960 OC 2GB, Windows 10.

  11. #161
    As already stated in a comment on the first announcement, I would suggest to abandon the 32-bit version and make the 32bit version some sort of freeware/demo/public domain (yay, I loved the PD games on C64 and Amiga, when the code was printed in magazines and needed to be typed to tape^^).
    If you come across any typos, or worry about my grammar skills, please keep it and be kind. I'm sorry about it. English isn't my native language.
    Greetings from the city, where your most popular docking soundtrack is from, Vienna

  12. #162
    Originally Posted by Elgered View Post (Source)
    As already stated in a comment on the first announcement, I would suggest to abandon the 32-bit version and make the 32bit version some sort of freeware/demo/public domain (yay, I loved the PD games on C64 and Amiga, when the code was printed in magazines and needed to be typed to tape^^).
    ...that then has to be kept upto date with development time and effort to keep working with the server upgrades/content that continue to be added? Hmmm...

    The whole idea is to prevent that development time/effort surely?

  13. #163
    Probably most of the 140 people using the 32bit version are the ones that have more than 1 account and exchange commodities between the accounts on the same PC or using a notebook with integrated video to check the game from time to time when they are away of their gaming PC.

    Speaking of this, does anyone know if installing the game (Horizon) on a notebook with a Haswell Core i5U and a GeForce 730 (8 GB RAM and 250GB SSD) is painful or should I expect a somehow decent performance? This is for the moments when I'm not in town, holidays, etc...

  14. #164
    Originally Posted by Mugur View Post (Source)
    Probably most of the 140 people using the 32bit version are the ones that have more than 1 account and exchange commodities between the accounts on the same PC or using a notebook with integrated video to check the game from time to time when they are away of their gaming PC.

    Speaking of this, does anyone know if installing the game (Horizon) on a notebook with a Haswell Core i5U and a GeForce 730 (8 GB RAM and 250GB SSD) is painful or should I expect a somehow decent performance? This is for the moments when I'm not in town, holidays, etc...
    The CPU is probably ok (it's about 30% slower than my ancient Phenom 955 and it runs at about 40% load playing ED Horizons) but the GPU I'm fairly sure won't run Horizons, I've tried the game on a Pentium 4560 with an old GTS 250 and although the game loaded (around 15 FPS!) it wouldn't allow access to Horizons and AFAIK the GTS 250 is a bit faster than your 730.
    I've been asked more than a few times "But why the docking computer?" cause I'm a lazy ol Commander that's why!

  15. #165
    Originally Posted by Ceekay View Post (Source)
    The CPU is probably ok (it's about 30% slower than my ancient Phenom 955 and it runs at about 40% load playing ED Horizons) but the GPU I'm fairly sure won't run Horizons, I've tried the game on a Pentium 4560 with an old GTS 250 and although the game loaded (around 15 FPS!) it wouldn't allow access to Horizons and AFAIK the GTS 250 is a bit faster than your 730.
    The i5 is much faster than the phenom 955 not slower at all.

    The GTS 250 also has another handicap, it's limited to DX 10 / 10.1, support for this level of DX was dropped too, hence why you can't get Horizons.

    It also suffers from a lack of full driver support from Nvidia and has done for some time.

    The GT 730 is capable of running Horizons at very low settings due to its support of DX11. It won't be a great experience however, quite frankly, if you can push your budget to a system with a 1030 installed you'll have a much better experience Mugur.
    My System:
    AMD Athlon 860k, MSI A88X-G45 Gaming MoBo, 16GB DDR3, Asus Strix GTX 960 OC 2GB, Windows 10.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast