Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Removal of Win32 support for Elite Dangerous

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    The removal of the Win32 version will affect less than 0.01% of Elite Dangerous players and we’ll be reaching out to those few people directly to make sure they’re well aware of the changes. The change will come into effect at the release of 2.4 – those trying to access the 2.4 beta will be required to play on the Win64 version also.
    Great customers support right there.
    Thanks FD !

Interesting. I'm OK with this, and I am curious - what features would be improved by this move?

Not trying to be facetious - just genuinely interested.

Originally Posted by Globusdiablo View Post (Source)
    Did someone say customer service?
    They now get to send mails like:

"Dear <name>,

It has come to our attention that the system you are trying to play Elite: Dangerous on is too damn old. We advise you ditch that ancient and likely yellow-beige technological monolith of near-religious importance in favour of something that hasn't been around since the Gulf War (and to be totally clear, we mean the first one) to continue to play after <2.4 release date>. Upgrading to an LCD screen would be a good idea too.

Sincerely,
    Your support team at Frontier."
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

Originally Posted by nanite2000 View Post (Source)
    Interesting. I'm OK with this, and I am curious - what features would be improved by this move?
    It frees up development resources that would otherwise be spent on maintaining the 32bit build, so "all of them" in some way See also David's replies further up the thread.
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

Great, it's about time...

Hegh Daq maj jaghpu

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    Onward and upward! Thanks for the update Ed.
    Indeed... And why are you replying? You're on holiday over the sea in a land of mystery far away! ;-)
    Just like Tron, I fight for the users.

Thank you for everything Win32 .. and <sniff sniff> buh-bye ..

It's not you, it's me / The honour was all mine / God speed .. and goodnight.

Originally Posted by nanite2000 View Post (Source)
    what features would be improved by this move?
    More beige planets

Originally Posted by Voz View Post (Source)
    Just for clarity then, how will this pan out for 32bit people (and their computers)?
    I guess it's not the same sort of situation as for those that didn't buy Horizons and stay on a 1.x version of the game? So from 2.4 (or 1.8 for base?) they will not be able to play?

Just to be clear, I think it's the right call, just wondered and can't remember what was said before.
    If only Fdev had stuck to their "it will have an offline mode" so that these poor chaps could still play what they paid for.

Originally Posted by Flimley View Post (Source)
    Hooray for everything. Looking forward not back, up not down. Yeah !

Flimley
    & always twirling, twirling, twirling.

Originally Posted by JeffRyan View Post (Source)
    I think we can honestly say that there will be absolutely zero effect on ZX Spectrum 48k users.
    What about my CBM64. Surely the 64 stands for 64 bit, right. Right?

Very good news for the future of the game.

May be a future Cobra engine update require a full 64 bits engine ! Just saying
    My Exploration albums : http://sensai25.imgur.com/

Hell, I'm still playing Frontier: Elite II on my Atari 1040 STFM. I'm pretty sure that won't do 64 bit.

I'm fine with this, I think it's about time. I've got 16GB of RAM you could be using for caching, by the way (assuming Win10 doesn't eat 14GB of it).

Where's my Linux client while we're at it? That's the reason I waited years to buy this game.

Originally Posted by CMDR Elton Poole View Post (Source)
    Hell, I'm still playing Frontier: Elite II on my Atari 1040 STFM. I'm pretty sure that won't do 64 bit.

I'm fine with this, I think it's about time. I've got 16GB of RAM you could be using for caching, by the way (assuming Win10 doesn't eat 14GB of it).

Where's my Linux client while we're at it? That's the reason I waited years to buy this game.
    16gb in your 1040STFM? Damn, thought my A1200 was OTT with its PPC toys

All joking aside. How will this affect Mac users (some who were early adopters). Do they get refunds?

Originally Posted by Jukelo View Post (Source)
    This can't come too soon, looking forward to it.
    But aren't any of us on 64bit already running in 64bit? ie: So there's no change to look forward to?

*confused* What am I missing?

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    But aren't any of us on 64bit already running in 64bit? ie: So there's no change to look forward to?

*confused* What am I missing?
    The phrase used by Ed, namely "the constant focus on pushing technological boundaries within Elite Dangerous", is key.

Ed also links to a previous post by David Braben on this matter.

Regards

EDIT:

So for completeness here's the DB quote bolded by me which is relevant to your question...

Originally Posted by David Braben View Post (Source)
    Hi Everyone,

As you know we spend a good deal of time planning for the future, and one issue (and opportunity) we are considering is the effect of supporting Win32 and DX10, and the benefits we would get if we were to drop them. As you know, we support leading edge technology like 4K, 8K, VR, and with things like compute shaders in Horizons we really push the boundaries overall, but there are restrictions with Win32 – particularly the amount of memory we can address at one time – and with DX10 in terms of requiring an alternative rendering solution in our code. Dropping these two would help us support high end effects with a better result – to make the game better.

About 0.5% of players that have installed Elite Dangerous have used their game on Win32 at some time. Some of these machines are capable of running Win64 (ie the hardware would support it). With DX10 (fewer than 2% of players) it is more tricky as you may need to upgrade the graphics card on such machines.

We do appreciate that although those are small percentages, that is still a significant number of people affected. We want to give as much notice as we can. It will be at least six months before we would make the change, but we want to know your opinions first, and to give warning that the change will need to come at some point, so please let us know.

Thanks.

David Braben

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast