Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Removal of Win32 support for Elite Dangerous

Originally Posted by Genar-Hofoen View Post (Source)
    The phrase used by Ed, namely "the constant focus on pushing technological boundaries within Elite Dangerous", is key.

Ed also links to a previous post by David Braben on this matter.

Regards

EDIT:

So for completeness here's the DB quote bolded by me which is relevant to your question...

That makes sense - Thanks...

So it frees up development by not have the constraints of what 32bit forces them to limit themselves too...

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    That makes sense - Thanks...

So it frees up development by not have the constraints of what 32bit forces them to limit themselves too...
    Indeed, but looking back at what David Braben said then, he's talking about not only getting rid of 32-bit Windows support, but also removing support for DX10 graphics cards.

Ed's original post above doesn't mention anything about DX10 - for which Frontier have to utilise an alternate rendering system at the moment - so I wonder if Ed could clarify if that also is what's being done for 2.4 and beyond.

Originally Posted by yminale View Post (Source)
    All joking aside. How will this affect Mac users (some who were early adopters). Do they get refunds?
    The Mac client has always been 64 bit only hasn't it?
    [Insert witty signature here]

Originally Posted by Genar-Hofoen View Post (Source)
    Indeed, but looking back at what David Braben said then, he's talking about not only getting rid of 32-bit Windows support, but also removing support for DX10 graphics cards.

Ed's original post above doesn't mention anything about DX10 - for which Frontier have to utilise an alternate rendering system at the moment - so I wonder if Ed could clarify if that also is what's being done for 2.4 and beyond.
    Doing it in two steps? First to get rid of 32bit? Next to lose DX10? So get to 64bit only in 2.4... Then lose DX10 for S3 / V3 somewhere?

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post (Source)
    I believe so.
    'Once OS X has been updated to support OpenGL compute shaders, or other technical options are available to us, we will certainly be very keen on supporting that platform.'

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Thanks for the info Ed.

Oh noes, my i5-2450M laptop will not start the 64bit version, only the 32bit one. I have used it to collect good mission stack sitting in the station during the day for the evening play session with the playing PC. I suppose the bottleneck for it to work is the integrated graphic card.

BOUT TIME!.. Thanks!
    Intel i7 6700K 4.0GHz |ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING (Mini-ITX) | 8GB DDR4 2800MHz |600W SilverStone SX600-G | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB W/PhysX |Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post (Source)
    Originally Posted by yminale View Post (Source)
    All joking aside. How will this affect Mac users (some who were early adopters). Do they get refunds?

I believe so.
    Thought so. That being the case it shouldn't affect Mac users at all.

Originally Posted by McIranta View Post (Source)
    Oh noes, my i5-2450M laptop will not start the 64bit version, only the 32bit one. I have used it to collect good mission stack sitting in the station during the day for the evening play session with the playing PC. I suppose the bottleneck for it to work is the integrated graphic card.
    Compatible version of Windows depends on your CPU and your i5-2450M is an x64 processor. Do you have 64 bit version of Windows installed?
    [Insert witty signature here]

Good decision. There is absolutely no reason for home users and gamers to run a 32-bit operating system in 2017.

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    But aren't any of us on 64bit already running in 64bit? ie: So there's no change to look forward to?

*confused* What am I missing?
    Yes we are. But beyond the obvious issue of manhours being wasted into the parallel 32 bit client, when you have to support old and new setups for a game of ED's scope which, to be run to its fullest would need all the resources your computer can throw at it, you are limiting what the 64 bit client is allowed to do.

Not everything can be an option setting that changes to adapt to the power of the user's computer at no cost to the overall design. Some aspects can scale up or down easily without causing too many functional discrepancies between clients (typically graphics), and some can not. When you rely heavily on on-the-fly procedural generation of content and want to simulate entire stellar systems full of millions of spaceships, how much processing power is available and how much you can cram into the RAM doesn't just impact how pretty you can make your game. It has functional ramifications, it impacts how much of the world the player is able to interact with (the client doesn't just have to render the game world - it has to continuously create a good portion of it), it impacts how much persistence you can afford. All of that is not something the user can just adjust with a slider, it has to be the same for all.

And of course DB's original post mentioned dropping DX10 support as well, so that's more eye candy or performance for us.

Thought so. That being the case it shouldn't affect Mac users at all.

Compatible version of Windows depends on your CPU and your i5-2450M is an x64 processor. Do you have 64 bit version of Windows installed?

Yes, I have Win10. It just gives an error when starting.

so does this mean crisper effects for my immanent death from Thargoid assaults?

Im going to die more beautifully
    Goodbye : Alpha Backer #54074
    Jack Sparrow:
    "The problem is not the problem. your attitude to the problem is the problem"

I think this is a good move to get more technological improvements with future versions of ED.

Are there any graphics benefits that are only possible with windows 64?

while i completely understand the rationale behind dropping 32bit support, this addendum:

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    The change allows us to make the Win64 client the most stable and safe version of the game possible
    is unnecessary, and it will bite you in the rear. :-)

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast