Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 170

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Removal of Win32 support for Elite Dangerous

  1. #46
    Isn't the Win32 API also used on 64-bit Windows? What are you going to use then? That means ED will be a UWP "app".

    (Maybe you meant to say that you're removing 32-bit Windows support, not Win32 support.)

  2. #47
    Yay! The future is now! Well... soon.

  3. #48
    Does this mean that at some point the non-Horizon mac client will get the chop as that may be seen as a out dated dinosaur?
    -EdzUp
    CMDR EdzUp
    EdzUp's website

  4. #49

    .01%

    Originally Posted by taotoo View Post (Source)
    0.01% hmmmm
    just think...somewhere theres someone gaming on his windows XP machine with Voodoo graphics cursing Ed and Frontier for this post.

  5. #50
    Originally Posted by babypowder84 View Post (Source)
    just think...somewhere theres someone gaming on his windows XP machine with Voodoo graphics cursing Ed and Frontier for this post.
    Yep, I miss voodoo2 card so much. It was a fantastic experience then.

    But time to move on.

  6. #51
    Only when our Wine 32-bit efforts start to spool on! Luckly, 64-bit is starting to look good too.

    Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    Greetings Commanders,

    As mentioned last year in this forum post by David Braben, the constant focus on pushing technological boundaries within Elite Dangerous has required us to reconsider our support for the Win32 version of the game client.

    The removal of the Win32 version will affect less than 0.01% of Elite Dangerous players and we’ll be reaching out to those few people directly to make sure they’re well aware of the changes. The change will come into effect at the release of 2.4 – those trying to access the 2.4 beta will be required to play on the Win64 version also.

    If you’re unsure this will affect you, you can find a guide online that will help, such as this one here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2172...ndows-answers/

    As we mentioned above, the vast majority of players won’t notice a difference, and if we believe you’ll be affected we’ll get in touch with you directly. The change allows us to make the Win64 client the most stable and safe version of the game possible, and focus on the future of Elite Dangerous.

    Thanks.

    Ed
    Ed, just curious, this does not mean DX10 support is removed yet right? But I suspect it is next on chopping block.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by RealNC View Post (Source)
    Isn't the Win32 API also used on 64-bit Windows? What are you going to use then? That means ED will be a UWP "app".

    (Maybe you meant to say that you're removing 32-bit Windows support, not Win32 support.)
    they refer to their 32 and 64 bit windows clients as Win32 and Win64. they are dropping Win32 (elite 32bit windows client). it's pretty clear.

  8. #53
    Dumb question from a n00b.

    If I'm landing on planets, I'm on 64-bkt, right?

    I'm having a mild panic attack.
    Flying with the grace of a unicorn...
    Xbox GT: V8UC UNICORN PC CMDR: [REDACTED]
    Cobra Mk III official Owner's Club: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...I-Owner-s-Club
    Flight System: Razer Ornata & Mamba | Xbox Elite controller with Chatpad | HyperX Cloud II | MSI Z97 GAMING 5 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | MSI GTX 960 4GB | Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 GHZ

  9. #54
    Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Dumb question from a n00b.

    If I'm landing on planets, I'm on 64-bkt, right?

    I'm having a mild panic attack.
    Okay, paranoia over. Dug out my Windows install & was comforted by the words 64 bit.

    Sorry, I get scared easy.
    Flying with the grace of a unicorn...
    Xbox GT: V8UC UNICORN PC CMDR: [REDACTED]
    Cobra Mk III official Owner's Club: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...I-Owner-s-Club
    Flight System: Razer Ornata & Mamba | Xbox Elite controller with Chatpad | HyperX Cloud II | MSI Z97 GAMING 5 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | MSI GTX 960 4GB | Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 GHZ

  10. #55

  11. #56
    Loads more addressable space. Yay! Commodity storage confirmed, thanks Ed!

    (click banner for guides, hint & tips, reference lists and much much more!)

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by EdzUp View Post (Source)
    Does this mean that at some point the non-Horizon mac client will get the chop as that may be seen as a out dated dinosaur?
    Who knows? With macOS, it is the decision by Apple not to support any modern graphics standards sufficiently (current version full feature OpenGL or Vulkan). If that does not change, it would be easier to support Linux than macOS in the future.

    Hmm, in theory it might be possible to install X11 on a Mac and use the OpenGL there. Not sure FDev would like the support nightmare, though.

  13. #58
    Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Ed, just curious, this does not mean DX10 support is removed yet right? But I suspect it is next on chopping block.
    The minimum specs for the base game on the Frontier store right now state minimum graphics cards that support at least some DX11 feature level, and the specs are already updated to require a 64bit OS between Windows 7 and 10. All of those imply DX11 support, so technically yes, DX10 support has been dropped already.

    If you go by the Steam store though, that still lists the Nvidia GTX 260 in the minimum requirements which technically is just a DX10 part feature-wise, so it depends on what you mean by removing DX10 support (That chip is barely faster than painting by hand anyway by any standard within the last couple years.)

    Originally Posted by CMDR Ellegon View Post (Source)
    Hmm, in theory it might be possible to install X11 on a Mac and use the OpenGL there. Not sure FDev would like the support nightmare, though.
    Nobody in their right mind would honestly target OGL at this point.
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    Nobody in their right mind would honestly target OGL at this point.
    Why not? OpenGL 4.5/4.6 is awesome place to be. for Mac they will have to go with Metal 2 if it's anywhere near capable for their requirements.

    As for OpenGL 4.3 and up games are looking awesome and they also have less issues as most painful issues with OpenGL are ironed out.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

  15. #60
    Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    As we mentioned above, the vast majority of players won’t notice a difference.
    Ed
    Sorry ED, but i don`t believe that it is true. I am quite sure that game is going to become significantly better

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast