Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Removal of Win32 support for Elite Dangerous

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Why not? OpenGL 4.5/4.6 is awesome place to be. for Mac they will have to go with Metal 2 if it's anywhere near capable for their requirements.
    Both APIs would be single-trick ponies for a very limited audience though (at this point in time, a handful of Mac users) that stands to produce extremely little RoI, and in case of OGL you get that whole issue of not having performance guarantees on anything, so unless you are John Carmack putting your name on an otherwise mediocre game that everyone will optimise their drivers for, you're pretty much SoL.

This game is why I updated my PC to 64-Bit architecture. Thanks Frontier!

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    Both APIs would be single-trick ponies for a very limited audience though (at this point in time, a handful of Mac users) that stands to produce extremely little RoI, and in case of OGL you get that whole issue of not having performance guarantees on anything, so unless you are John Carmack putting your name on an otherwise mediocre game that everyone will optimise their drivers for, you're pretty much SoL.
    Not really true about neither of things. OpenGL performance in both commercial and open source drivers are quite stable and guaranteed at this point. FD already have OpenGL renderer.

As for Mac, it is still 5% of player base. FD is in unique position here - they develop their own engine, thus developing support for new API/platform is long term beneficial.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    they develop their own engine, thus developing support for new API/platform is long term beneficial.
    apples and oranges. dropping 32 bit is getting rid of a burden. this for sure will remove some constraints and streamline the build process a bit and *may* result in more effort going into content or advanced features of the platform. still has nothing to do with having their own engine which, longterm, at some point could even be a handicap wrt to other/future platforms or technologies. (though it has to be said they have so far done a great job targeting pc, xbone and ps4 with it).

also (in general), opengl is just fine and will be around for a while, not everything has to be aaa titles using the latest shader gimmick.

Originally Posted by zn˘rt View Post (Source)
    also (in general), opengl is just fine and will be around for a while, not everything has to be aaa titles using the latest shader gimmick.
    OpenGL post 4.3 supports both advanced shaders and compute shaders, so it is also ok for aaa titles (and I am actually play them on Linux so I could know).

Anyway, back to win32 removal - hopefully it means DX10 will follow and thus it means better looking and working game for everyone.

Originally Posted by Genar-Hofoen View Post (Source)
    About time! You did good in holding off for as long as possible, but it's quite clear that 32-bit architectures are now basically as dead as the Dodo as far as PC architecture is concerned - sure there are still folks out there using such PC's, but as you say, a fraction of a percentage.
    It would be hard to understate how much of the world's infrastructure runs on 32, 16, and 8 bit platforms. See: RS-232.

Most *gamers* have moved on, and large to medium enterprises have moved on. but, a significant, and important, fraction of the world's computing capacity is utterly dependent on legacy code.

I'm glad Frontier is upgrading Elite to a fully 64-bit architecture. This should make things better for the game.

But, don't think dodo's have completely disappeared. They have laid *lots* of timebombs...err, eggs for you young whippersnappers to discover, the hard way. :)

Originally Posted by McIranta View Post (Source)
    Yes, I have Win10. It just gives an error when starting.
    I'm afraid that doesn't answer my question as Windows 10 still comes in both 32/64 bit varieties and it's possible you have the 32 bit version installed.

If you click on the Start Icon and go to Control Panel --> System what does it state for "System Type"? If it's the 64 bit version it should state:

64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    Also what's the error message?

Originally Posted by Voz View Post (Source)
    Just for clarity then, how will this pan out for 32bit people (and their computers)?
    I guess it's not the same sort of situation as for those that didn't buy Horizons and stay on a 1.x version of the game? So from 2.4 (or 1.8 for base?) they will not be able to play?

Just to be clear, I think it's the right call, just wondered and can't remember what was said before.
    I think that's pretty much it - though every modern processor is able to run the 64bit version of the game so really they are locked out of absolutely nothing.

One question is why is there a need to drop 32bit ED runs on 32bit yes no horizons BUT the galaxy is rendered the same so why the need for 64bit?

On the horizons front we've had height maps with a few scattered rocks since Unreal 1 maybe even before so what is the major requirement for 64bit?

Yes yes.... But will my 14.4k dial-up still have good throughput in busy CG's??

Just kidding

Originally Posted by Ralph Vargr View Post (Source)
    It would be hard to understate how much of the world's infrastructure runs on 32, 16, and 8 bit platforms. See: RS-232.

Most *gamers* have moved on, and large to medium enterprises have moved on. but, a significant, and important, fraction of the world's computing capacity is utterly dependent on legacy code.

I'm glad Frontier is upgrading Elite to a fully 64-bit architecture. This should make things better for the game.

But, don't think dodo's have completely disappeared. They have laid *lots* of timebombs...err, eggs for you young whippersnappers to discover, the hard way. :)
    Oh I'm no young whippersnapper ;)

Been in the IT business for many a decade.

I was only speaking within the context of a gaming PC, fully realising that 8, 16, and 32-bit systems are still alive and well - just not so good for running contemporary games ;)

Finally! RIP Win32. I will not miss you sorry :)

Originally Posted by EdzUp View Post (Source)
    One question is why is there a need to drop 32bit ED runs on 32bit yes no horizons BUT the galaxy is rendered the same so why the need for 64bit?

On the horizons front we've had height maps with a few scattered rocks since Unreal 1 maybe even before so what is the major requirement for 64bit?
    Maybe they want to include and improve lots of space stuff that will require 64bit instead of 32bit. Ram is also a good one. 32bit you are stuck with 4gb ram, which is a big bottleneck. Now we could have potentially better networking, more objects on screen etc.

Glad they are dropping 32bit. It makes for a huge overhead since you need compatibility libraries. Managing more than 4GB RAM is also much more difficult. And it also has a performance impact since many capabilities of modern x86 CPUs are not used, including half the registers.

The gaming industry is among the last ones to do so. Have been using 64bit machine as a late adopter since 2008.

People who have older computers that are 32bit need to upgrade. But they would have trouble gaming anyway and those machines have long been written off.

Edit:

Originally Posted by CMDR Ellegon View Post (Source)
    Hmm, in theory it might be possible to install X11 on a Mac and use the OpenGL there. Not sure FDev would like the support nightmare, though.

I use X11 on the mac (most software doesn't support the native WM anyway), but the driver (as well as kernel modules in general) remains the problem. They are just not really gaming machines.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast