Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 491

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Type-10 Defender, new ship (not yet purchasable)

  1. #451
    Originally Posted by NascentChemist View Post (Source)
    I've discussed the Type-9/ Cutter balance ad nauseum in other threads. Simply adding another 250 tons of cargo to the T-9 would cripple its jump range. The FSD can't be changed to Size 7 without ludicrously increasing its unladen jump range. However, I do think that we could shave 250 tons off the hull mass to balance another Size 8 cargo rack. My trader fit T9 has a laden/unladen jump range of 20/27. If the mass/jump range relationship is roughly linear, as it should be, the unladen range would barely creep over 30. My Beluga can beat that.
    Type 9's jump range with a 50% opt mass engineered 7A FSD and Exploration rig (about 1100 tons) would be 47ly. I don't think that's ludicrous. Even less if you add 250 hull tons on top.

    With a 8A FSD however, assuming the values evolve with the same pattern, I get 94,6 ly #praying for the latter : a dream of every Explorer
    Zorgon Peterson Foxtrot Romeo India over o7

    My Explorer Profile on EDSM

  2. #452
    Originally Posted by Friedenreich Xante View Post (Source)
    Type 9's jump range with a 50% opt mass engineered 7A FSD and Exploration rig (about 1100 tons) would be 47ly. I don't think that's ludicrous. Even less if you add 250 hull tons on top.

    With a 8A FSD however, assuming the values evolve with the same pattern, I get 94,6 ly #praying for the latter : a dream of every Explorer
    Fair enough, ludicrous was the wrong word to use. Perhaps "out of spirit for the Type 9" is better. For a big heavy (but empty) freighter, I think ~35 ly is more appropriate than 47. And don't forget the increased fuel consumption from a Size 7 FSD. The 64 ton fuel tank gives good total range now, but not with a larger FSD

  3. #453
    Originally Posted by NascentChemist View Post (Source)
    Fair enough, ludicrous was the wrong word to use. Perhaps "out of spirit for the Type 9" is better. For a big heavy (but empty) freighter, I think ~35 ly is more appropriate than 47. And don't forget the increased fuel consumption from a Size 7 FSD. The 64 ton fuel tank gives good total range now, but not with a larger FSD
    I think that every ship with A class FSD (not engineered) should be capable of 20+ Ly jumps laden. The gameplay gains absolutely nothing from us doing more jumps with current ranges and could gain quite a bit if those were buffed. Faster pace, easier possibility to change locations and activities at random, so more freedom to blaze your trail, generally speaking. Not that this kind of change will ever happen, but here's hoping new ships will have more generous jump ranges.

  4. #454
    Well, other people here have made the argument that Colonia, Maia, and Thargoid Stuff ™, jump range should get a boost across all ships.

    But for a trader, jump range is an important bit of balance. Do I want mil spec or RCS armor? High capacity missiles? 3-4 heavy duty shield boosters? I think accounting for lower speed and jump range is important there

  5. #455
    Originally Posted by NascentChemist View Post (Source)
    Well, other people here have made the argument that Colonia, Maia, and Thargoid Stuff ™, jump range should get a boost across all ships.

    But for a trader, jump range is an important bit of balance. Do I want mil spec or RCS armor? High capacity missiles? 3-4 heavy duty shield boosters? I think accounting for lower speed and jump range is important there
    well, when i bought my federal corvette - i couldn't even leave the system where i had bought it. The jumprange was shorter then the min distance to the next star.
    i HAD to ship in my T9 to switch the Jumpdrive.
    something like this should not be possible

  6. #456
    Originally Posted by Bunkerkind Anni View Post (Source)
    well, when i bought my federal corvette - i couldn't even leave the system where i had bought it. The jumprange was shorter then the min distance to the next star.
    i HAD to ship in my T9 to switch the Jumpdrive.
    something like this should not be possible
    It'd be hard to make sure of that, there could be systems that are quite a few light years away from the nearest.

    In order to make that never happen, the shipyard, and outfitting, would have to run some kind of check for nearby star distances, and make sure to only sell ships, and modules, that allowed travel to the next system, and even then, it'd probly have to work it out so that, if you just had the hull with D rated modules (which must all be sold there!) you could make the jump.

    Seems impractical.

  7. #457
    i still remember how we talk about federal corvette.. dreaming about A9 Power plant.. A9 power dis. and ect..
    but its just released with all modules same as conda... i hope.. REALLY hope its will be not the same for Type 9-10

  8. #458
    Maybe the Thargoid wars will force Sirius Corp to reveal the milspec FSD that will enable heavy battleships to jump reasonably... and Explorer ships to jump unreasonably
    Zorgon Peterson Foxtrot Romeo India over o7

    My Explorer Profile on EDSM

  9. #459
    Originally Posted by Deefrize View Post (Source)
    i still remember how we talk about federal corvette.. dreaming about A9 Power plant.. A9 power dis. and ect..
    but its just released with all modules same as conda... i hope.. REALLY hope its will be not the same for Type 9-10
    I'm fairly sure the talk about Size 9 modules comes from the original Corvette loadout. I can't find it now, but I remember 10 utility mounts, 2 more size 2 weapons, and at least 1 more large hard point. I'd love that, if we fixed the shield booster stacking problem.

  10. #460
    Originally Posted by Deefrize View Post (Source)
    i still remember how we talk about federal corvette.. dreaming about A9 Power plant.. A9 power dis. and ect..
    but its just released with all modules same as conda... i hope.. REALLY hope its will be not the same for Type 9-10
    Corvette isn't bad, the only thing that's a massive pain in the backside is the jump range. It has a bit of and edge over Anaconda in terms of armaments and handling but not as much as to make Anaconda obsolete, which is a good thing, considering not everyone wants to grind Fed ranks for the Corvette.

  11. #461
    Originally Posted by NascentChemist View Post (Source)
    Well, other people here have made the argument that Colonia, Maia, and Thargoid Stuff ™, jump range should get a boost across all ships.

    But for a trader, jump range is an important bit of balance. Do I want mil spec or RCS armor? High capacity missiles? 3-4 heavy duty shield boosters? I think accounting for lower speed and jump range is important there
    All that's needed is another class of FSD above A (say A+). That would be a godsend. Engineers helped a bit to make more ships usable, but I feel there is still room for improvement. For me playing ED became much more pleasant after getting my Conda to jump 40 something light years (non-exploration build) and other ships getting JR boost as well.

  12. #462
    Originally Posted by Deefrize View Post (Source)
    i still remember how we talk about federal corvette.. dreaming about A9 Power plant.. A9 power dis. and ect..
    but its just released with all modules same as conda... i hope.. REALLY hope its will be not the same for Type 9-10
    It seems a recurring pattern with Frontier. Do not make ships that are too good. What one hand giveth the other taketh away. They always seem to cripple the ships that come out just to make sure that they're not too good. The Cutter? They added an incredible drifting effect so that it wouldn't be too good. The Corvette? They limited the jump range to something so anemic, you can't go anywhere with the stock FSD. The FdL? It's so limited in expansion AND has such an anemic jump range that it's pathetic seeing such a good ship being so crippled. The Beluga Liner? Tiny fuel tank initially and very average jump range. Frontier admitted their error and rectified it later. I could probably go on and on. The only ship that's artificially good (although very slow speed) is the Anaconda. Yes, I understand that Frontier defenders will come out with all the reasons in the world as to why when you pick a ship, it has advantages and drawbacks. But when the drawbacks completely negate the advantages, then I'm wondering what's the point.

    I'll give you another example. For some time now, I tried to see how I could use a Federal Gunship. Try as I may, I couldn't find any combination of load out that would make this ship any useful. The only thing going for it is if you put a fighter hangar on it. It has very limited expansion when compared to the cheaper assault ship, a tiny fuel tank and a below average jump range.

    Now, I understand that some will come with the supposedly amazing idea of having those anemic jump range ships to be shipped to your location where you want to fight. I'm sorry, I'm not a full time bounty hunter or pirate. I need to sometimes travel several hundreds lightyears quickly at the beginning of my session. I can't afford to travel to my location in a decent ship, have my anemic ship sent over and wait a couple of hours for it to arrive. I don't play ED 24 hours a day like some might do.

    And, it's just my opinion. I just feel that Frontier sometimes go a little over the top to limit the usefulness of their ships.
    Cmdr Kantos Kan, Trader, Explorer and occasional Bounty Hunter

  13. #463
    Originally Posted by CMDR Kantos Kan View Post (Source)
    It seems a recurring pattern with Frontier. Do not make ships that are too good. What one hand giveth the other taketh away. They always seem to cripple the ships that come out just to make sure that they're not too good.
    you mean "make sure they are not better then the Conda in more then one single aspect"

    right?

  14. #464
    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    I can neither confirm or deny the existence of a "Type-10 Defender," and certainly won't be giving out any more information about it.... if it exists.... *cough*but it's not the Panther Clipper*cough*
    Now the real question is it going to be another substitute to the already existing terrible trade ships or finally a real good decent contender option to choose from for our fellow traders out there over the cutter/corvette?
    twitter@solehunt3r
    CEO - Crazy Space People
    Director - Pandemic Horde

  15. #465
    Assuming it will be "Keelback T-9", it might become one of the popular exploration vessels:
    - Asp-like visibility from cockpit
    - SLF option
    - slots to waste on "repair limpet controller" etc.

    All it needs is at least average jump range (when stripped down) and good maneuverability in SC.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast