Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Route Plotter Discussion

Sandro, looks like you forgot the "Multi-Jump" feature able to do multiple jumps in one tunnel, and the number of starts in between, will pass in the tunnel. This is something that would be really nice. Still takes time to jump, but no need to jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align. Instead relax, also add the Galnet in the ship ,so we can read and accept missions and other things while flying, also enable chat, so you can chat with people while traveling.

I for one will love the 20K ly plot distance. So now, I will only need 3 bookmarks, instead of >30. It's one at roughly the halfway point, one at colonia, and one at Sag A. Can we please move up exploration refactor? It would be great if the Detailed surface scanner came in 10K ls, 100K ls, and 1000K ls variants.

Originally Posted by Kaocraft View Post (Source)
    I would like it if the GalMap worked the way it was originally supposed to, where only stars that were within range of your current location + previously visited + purchased from stations would be visible in your map. If this were how the GalMap worked, then the neutron star boost feature could remain as-is and all of your meta-gameplay would be intact.

But since the GalMap *doesn't* work like that; I think it's best to keep the functionality as-is, if for no other reason than because is reduces the need to use outside tools to play the game effectively.

Nobody is doing the meta-gameplay that you describe anyway; we're all going to spansh.com and cutting/pasting dozens of star system names into our galmap as we alt-tab over and over. It's dumb and annoying and it's also currently the only good(ish) way.

The new way is better to have (as an option) and I am thankful for it.

I partially quote that but consider we are traveling through stars in 3303, considering how much we mapped of our galaxy as far as now (being 1286 years earlier), and how much we could map in the future of them 1286 years to come.

Having the whole galaxy at least known in position is about normal.

Yeah would be nice to have just the 75/80% mapped, but I think it's realistic enough to have a full mapped galaxy with unknown internal structure of systems without visit.

After this, consider my results in getting from Col 359 Sector EI-U b32-1 to Boewnst KS-S c20-959.

It is a 100 jumps difference between spansh and GalMap.
    The same result, I got it putting an accuracy of 98% on Spansh...would be fine and nice to have a priority on neutron first, white dwarves second (just if the boosted jump range is more than the distance between us and the above star) and then normal hyperjumps.

That's my opinion, and I am not sayin' I am right, but I am saying I thought a few hours about it

If anyone has use windows Paint program and take a line and able to carve it or make 3 or 5 points So players can make Point A Point B Point C route destinations for missions or exploration.
    CMDR Vercingertorix

Exploration Goal 6,000 to 10,000 systems.
    Current 4,000 system
    Hall 90% Power Plant 90%
    The risk is to pushing my ship to the limits with out destroying my self while exploring.

Originally Posted by z33r0x View Post (Source)
    Sandro, looks like you forgot the "Multi-Jump" feature able to do multiple jumps in one tunnel, and the number of starts in between, will pass in the tunnel. This is something that would be really nice. Still takes time to jump, but no need to jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align, jump, align. Instead relax, also add the Galnet in the ship ,so we can read and accept missions and other things while flying, also enable chat, so you can chat with people while traveling.
    I think witch space is a concealed loading screen and if so, that means including Galnet and chat options might be difficult to do. I think they would have to write a separate program just for that and you'd have to be in windowed mode (or it would have to kick you into windowed mode on the fly).

I'm all for being able to communicate with stations / faction and taking on missions in-flight though. At least data delivery / assassination - in short anything that doesn't require any cargo to be loaded. Even just from within the system or even when flying in normal space near the station. I'd be happy to scan ships / wakes whilst waiting for the missions to refresh.

The new long distance is great! Only wish there were waypoints we could set on longer trips as destination, before the final destination is reached.

Originally Posted by Lestat View Post (Source)
    If anyone has use windows Paint program and take a line and able to carve it or make 3 or 5 points So players can make Point A Point B Point C route destinations for missions or exploration.
    I have literally no idea what you are trying to say.

Highlighting the last scoopable star. Excellent.

Will this be prompted in the HUD somewhere as you make the jump to this star as opposed to having to make a note of its name from the map prior to heading out on the journey?

Also will it update to the next 'last scoopable' on a journey that requires multiple scoops or will you have to manually re- plot after each scoop?

Auto update on the existing plot is the best option in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Virandar View Post (Source)
    I think witch space is a concealed loading screen and if so, that means including Galnet and chat options might be difficult to do. I think they would have to write a separate program just for that and you'd have to be in windowed mode (or it would have to kick you into windowed mode on the fly).

I'm all for being able to communicate with stations / faction and taking on missions in-flight though. At least data delivery / assassination - in short anything that doesn't require any cargo to be loaded. Even just from within the system or even when flying in normal space near the station. I'd be happy to scan ships / wakes whilst waiting for the missions to refresh.
    Yeah but I think u can interact with stuff even in loading screen, you can still look around in the cockpit, but you should be able to accept cargo missions too, but you do not recieve the cargo in hyperspace ofc, u get a pickup point, but can never complete any missions when it comes to deliver something for realism.

Also I forgot to add, there will be a timer "Time to arrival 2:13" if it takes that long to jump all those jumps u doing. And when 10 seconds left, a female voice will say approaching destination star... then, destination reached.

It is possible to make a system like this and I know there will be a lof of people who would love this.

You can choose fastest route, and economical still, in economilal it will take a really long time to make all the jumps in the loading screen. For an example: With Fastest it takes to jump 5 jumps aprox 0:40 and doing them in economical its 24 jumps instead, so it will be 3:12 instead. imagine having an anaconda with a lot of fuel tanks, able to make 300 jumps at once, ofc it will take 40:00 . Then its time to watch an episode of game of thrones or what ever, but this will give the feeling that you still travel a long way.

The extra range is great and I tried plotting a few directions to see where it would lead. Speed was good, although when I tried platting around Barnard's look and sector COL 70, the route calculations failed. Do the permit locks play with the pathfinding?

Originally Posted by CMDR PRJeff View Post (Source)
    The extra range is great and I tried plotting a few directions to see where it would lead. Speed was good, although when I tried platting around Barnard's look and sector COL 70, the route calculations failed. Do the permit locks play with the pathfinding?
    I agree. I tried plotting as far as I could go towards Colonia. The calculation speed seems to be much improved, for 519 jumps. When I tried using neutron star boosts, the number of jumps dropped to 403, a savings of over 100 jumps! I really like this feature, even though I'm going to be in the bubble for a while. I'm sure I'll go off exploring again at some point.

As to the route plot failure, it seems to fail if there's not a fairly direct route to the destination. I've seen that before and it wouldn't surprise me if the route-plotting speed-up involves ignoring stars that are far from the direct route.

Setting in my Engineered Battle Cutter with 25.56ly jump range, I plotted a route from Komovoy to Jellyfish Sector FB-X C1-5 with no boost and got a 168 jumps. I then did an identical fresh replot but added the "Use Jet-Cone Boost" option. Doing this produced a total of 169 jumps. That didn't seem better to me, but I wanted to compare to the Neutron Router at spansh.co.uk which I've used in the past.

I went to Neutron Router at spansh.co.uk to see about the same route and got the following:

Neutron Router Route with 100% effeciency (meaning no Neutron Stars):

Completed System Distance (LY) Remaining (LY) Neutron Star Estimated jumps
    Komovoy 0.00 5,047.05 0
    Wregoe CK-Q b5-0 997.69 4,049.37 43
    Outotz MI-Q b19-0 990.93 3,058.68 43
    Plaa Thua WG-Q b33-0 976.08 2,082.68 42
    Col 89 Sector DQ-D b42-1 998.03 1,084.69 43
    Jellyfish Sector SO-R c4-8 998.86 87.72 43
    Jellyfish Sector FB-X c1-5 87.72 0.00 4
    Totals 5,049.31 218
    Scrolls ---->

This makes since because the Neutron Router database is not complete where the in game database is.

I then tried dropping the level of efficiency (adding Neutron Jumps) on web based the Neutron Router the router and the number of jumps only got worse so now I understand why the number of jumps increased with the in game router. I guess there are not enough neutron stars in this route to make it worth it.

Frontier, can you tell us how the new router calculates the level of efficiency it uses? I other words can you tell us how off-course it is allowed to take us. We are able to decide that for ourselves on the Neutron Router website.

Playing Elite on PC, Mac and XBox One

Looks that way. I am currently sitting in Sister's Refuge in HIP 16813 with a 50 LY AspX, and while plotting to the asteroid bases in Witch Head Nebula, Orion Nebula, and Jellyfish Nebula works just fine, plotting to Thor's Helmet Nebula fails. So does plotting through sparse areas like the Formidine Rift, a plot to Syreadiae JX-F c0 fails as well.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap For Reasonable Prices

The Neutron Router at spansh.co.uk has the same problem some times. When the resulting route is too inefficient it gives up. To fix that when using that web app, you have to plot waypoints to get around those off limits sectors. It sure would be nice if this new router had waypoints capability. I bet that would solve it. More easily said than done of course.

Playing Elite on PC, Mac and XBox One

Originally Posted by HyenaZERO View Post (Source)
    Just to point out, 20kLy radius sphere is a volume of 33.5MLy cubed. 22kLy radius sphere is a volume of 44.6MLy cubed. So, just giving us a 'little' more range increases the area needed to calculate by a third.
    I'd just like to point out that the volume increase isn't as much as you think. The galaxy isn't a perfect sphere of stars, so the volumes above and below the plane aren't a factor in the number of extra stars to consider.

How the performance improvement has been gained is of interest though. Changes in algorithms are the first place to look to get large jumps in performance. A lightweight interface into the galaxy map generation routines might also be an obvious place to find performance gains.
    CMDR "Canopy Breach" Charybdis [NULL]

Threads: To Sagittarius A* - 9 commanders
    Blog: CMDR Charybdis - Navigating the dangers of space to join the Elite
    Sorbago uprising story arc: [All videos]

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast