Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Route Plotter Discussion

1. This is the last staff post in this thread. #1
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee

Route Plotter Discussion

Hello Commanders!

This thread is for feedback about the Route Plotter only. Please keep on topic, off topic posts may be deleted without warning!

Route Plotter Update
    • The maximum route plotting range is now 20Kly.
    • Route plotting is much faster.
    • There is now an option to make use of neutron star boost when plotting routes.
    • An icon is displayed on the route to show the last scoopable star before running out of fuel.

We'd love to hear from you about this feature. Is it working as intended? Are there any anomalies, bugs? Please pop a post in!

Best 2.4 feature so far.

1. Neutron Boost Tags
    There are tags which say "re-fueling point" in orange text when you run out of fuel at the last star.
    Can we also have "FSD Boost" tags in blue at white dwarfs and neutron stars when the boost option is turned on.

2. Redundant Stars
    I plotted a few +10k routes using "use jet cone boost" and often times the plotter would plot a star before, then after, then backtrack to the neutron star. Both the before and after stars were a single jump from the neutron star.

3. Neutron Stars should take precedence when "use jet cone boost" is selected
    The route planner should go out of it's way to find neutron stars even if it means not going directly in a straight line - you can save a lot of jumps doing Neutron zig-zag. Routes from spansh.co.uk do this, they take you from one string of neutrons to the next; sometimes at 90 degree right angles to your normal route.

One simple example I can think of is going from LFT 37 to IC 2391 SECTOR ZE-A D101 - the best route (especially more the case in a +60ly anaconda) is taking a couple of jumps to Jackson's lighthouse then Neutron boosting +200ly in a single jump and you're half way there. It's a little bit out of the way but it makes a big difference - more so when you're doing 1000ly at a time with neutrons.

4. Just a little bit more?
    I plotted a route 20kly towards SagA and my initial thoughts were - gee, it'd be nice to plot 22kly to get all the way... it makes sense because both SagA and colonia are 22kly - should be able to plot from sol to those

5. Minimum fuel Plot
    Can we have an option that limits the amount of fuel that is scooped automatically, so that the plotter can use "minimum fuel" end of the jump range? Currently it uses the "maximum fuel" jump range to plot distances, if the nav computer limited the amount of fuel scooped, it could extend each jump by up to 7-10ly depending on the ship/fueltank. Taking on just enough fuel to get to the next scoopable star (with a little extra to top up the internal systems tank when it runs out). When you're doing 20kly trips, having a few extra ly per jump can add up.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Becky View Post (Source)
    I plotted a route 20kly towards SagA and my initial thoughts were - gee, it'd be nice to plot 22kly to get all the way... it makes sense because both SagA and colonia are 22kly - should be able to plot from sol to those
    Yes, it would be nice if it was bumped to 30kly so you can get to Sag A and Colonia from Sol.

So i'm not entirely how sure the jet cone thing is working.
    The server copy must have happened during one of my Buckyball races to Sag A*/Beagle Point because I started docked with 270ly range.

Plotting using the Jet cone thing I made a long route and the plotter of the first jump didn't account for the boost I already have, I assume therefore it's done from the galmap star type rather than another method...

I think my only 2 wishes for the plotter now are: "Multicrew route plotting" and "Waypoint route plotting"

Originally Posted by Becky View Post (Source)
    Just to point out, 20kLy radius sphere is a volume of 33.5MLy cubed. 22kLy radius sphere is a volume of 44.6MLy cubed. So, just giving us a 'little' more range increases the area needed to calculate by a third.

There is now an option to make use of neutron star boost when plotting routes.

I'm not sure how I feel about this change.^^

I think it makes the gameplay mindless as far as exploring goes. The gameplay around NS boosts is to first chart the stars, then discover strings of them together as you discover more of them. By adding this feature, you remove that level of meta-gameplay now any commander that has flown any distance can click any star and then click "navigate with NS boost." Travelling has once again become less involved.

That said, there are not enough bookmarks to actually mark every neutron star, so I'd like to see a feature to "flag" neutron stars by scanning them and then being able to only auto plot a route with only the Neutron stars you've previously discovered.

So there is more "exploring and charting NS lanes." and less "point and click"

Originally Posted by HyenaZERO View Post (Source)
    Just to point out, 20kLy radius sphere is a volume of 33.5MLy. 22kLy radius sphere is a volume of 44.6MLy . So, just giving us a 'little' more range increases the area needed to calculate by a third.
    I very much doubt it does an exhaustive search because if it did it wouldn't be nearly as fast as it is.

Originally Posted by clinton View Post (Source)
    I very much doubt it does an exhaustive search because if it did it wouldn't be nearly as fast as it is.
    Perhaps. But it's still a not-insignificant increase in the area in which stars would need to be accounted for. As a further reference, bumping it up to 30kLy would more than triple the area it needs to check versus a 20kLy area.

What would be really nice is if in addition to the cargo slider we had a fuel tank slider so that we could indicate that we are only going to run the tank half full, for example. That way we could plot using the larger jump range you get from downgrading your tank, while retaining the ability to fill right up if you need to cross a brown dwarf region.

Hum...

I thought this would simply make it so that when you have a route plotted, then charge your FSD, it then replots the next jump, and the jumps after, not, it figures it all out with all nuetron stars on the path.

That does seem a bit too much!

Originally Posted by Kestril View Post (Source)

I think it makes the gameplay mindless as far as exploring goes. The gameplay around NS boosts is to first chart the stars, then discover strings of them together as you discover more of them. By adding this feature, you remove that level of meta-gameplay now any commander that has flown any distance can click any star and then click "navigate with NS boost." Travelling has once again become less involved.

That said, there are not enough bookmarks to actually mark every neutron star, so I'd like to see a feature to "flag" neutron stars by scanning them and then being able to only auto plot a route with only the Neutron stars you've previously discovered.

Travelling is not exploration. So I'm all for less involved travelling and more involved exploration.

Originally Posted by HyenaZERO View Post (Source)
    Just to point out, 20kLy radius sphere is a volume of 33.5MLy cubed. 22kLy radius sphere is a volume of 44.6MLy cubed. So, just giving us a 'little' more range increases the area needed to calculate by a third.
    Gotta love these mathematicians

Originally Posted by Kestril View Post (Source)

I would like it if the GalMap worked the way it was originally supposed to, where only stars that were within range of your current location + previously visited + purchased from stations would be visible in your map. If this were how the GalMap worked, then the neutron star boost feature could remain as-is and all of your meta-gameplay would be intact.

But since the GalMap *doesn't* work like that; I think it's best to keep the functionality as-is, if for no other reason than because is reduces the need to use outside tools to play the game effectively.

Nobody is doing the meta-gameplay that you describe anyway; we're all going to spansh.com and cutting/pasting dozens of star system names into our galmap as we alt-tab over and over. It's dumb and annoying and it's also currently the only good(ish) way.

The new way is better to have (as an option) and I am thankful for it.

Can we have more bookmarks and a choice of colours if you plot a route to colonia from bubble with 50 ly jump range its just over 200 bookmarks if you use neutron highway and about same to come back that's a different 200 coming back add to this the alien crash sites alien ruins and remote stations including asteroid ones add a few material gathering locations and your at 600
    if your not willing to give players up to 600 bookmarks then can you consider adding perminant bookmarks to th galmap like engineers there the same for everyone alien crash sites don't move and neither do the ruins I'm sure you get the idea

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast