Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: New Limpets and Synthesis Recipes Discussion

Can we PLEASE allow repair limpets to take care of the power plant too?

Right now thats the ONLY thing stopping me being self-reliant.

I get that the AFMU needs a power plant turned on - like trying to use a car radio without a battery; but the limpets have their own internal power.
    Imagine an RAC/AA mechanic that needed to be wired up to the cigarette lighter(!)

I should be able to rely on my life support for a few moments while limpets fix my PP, then refill my LS when the job's complete and I power back up.

Thoughts?

Can some list what the precipices are for each of the new things please?

It's not clear to me from the GUI what the difference is between Basic and Standard Chaff Synthesis. Seems a bit buggy.

Originally Posted by millstonebarn View Post (Source)
    It's not clear to me from the GUI what the difference is between Basic and Standard Chaff Synthesis. Seems a bit buggy.
    According to the text at the top, basic is a half-load and standard is a full load

Originally Posted by DeathStroke View Post (Source)
    Proposed changes to synthasis:
    1. Heatsink recipe changed to 1 nickel 1 iron for basic, 2 nickel 2 iron for standard, 2 nickel 2 iron 1 proto heat radiator for premium.
    2. Chaff basic recipe changed to 2 iron 2 chromium.
    3. Life support. Add a new material only found on ice worlds called 'ICE' (genius right?), 1 unit of ice per minute of life support (rounded up to nearest whole minute).
    Hire this guy for his common sense!

ICE could also be mixed up with other materials, that are used in the process as fuel/catalysts to whatever reaction is used to separate the oxygen out from the hydrogen and other impurities. (This allows you to make more complex synthesis "recipes" for standard, and premium.

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    I'd go even further and make it so that any synthesis means a 20-30 second shutdown while it completes. This solves all the combat balance problems (not just for heatsinks, ammo & oxygen too). It also makes synthesis feel more like a meaty process and less like instant magic potions you pull out of hammer-space and quaff.
    The alternative is that every ship has a fixed synthesis module built-in that consumes power while active and/or drains the SYS capacitor. Not only does that achieve a similar goal ("meaty process"). it's also opening up new tactics instead of just saying "No!" to combat use - you just have to be willing to build around the power/SYS drain - are you willing to give up the power budget to heatsink all the time? Willing to risk somebody shooting out your synthesiser and crippling your strategy?

Pros and cons for each build.

Neatly enough, that will have little impact on out-of-combat use, since you tend to have a lot more power to play with when your hardpoints are retracted.

Finding the right spot for power consumption needs a bit more balancing than a timer... but has the advantage that it doesn't impact out-of-combat use much for most builds.

Life support = Iron and Nickel? Huh? Shouldn't it at least be a component or compound you can get an Oxygen/Nitrogen mixture from?

tbh, i would expect "water" beeing a component to create oxygen...

I would like if the Hull repair Limpets would be able to repair a blown out canopy. Since the AFMU already repairs a damaged one, i would love to see the Limpets can do more.
    An accident with a neutronstar or white dwarf can easily blow out the canopy nearly instantly. I know i know....risk of it and risk of exploring.
    Still i would like to see that's a thing

Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    I like hull repair limpets, although not a fan its basic synthesis needing Tin as its not the most common material there is to find.
    As it is just a basic synthesis, how about replacing Tin with something more common, for example Chromium?
    Same thinking here. Tin is sometimes a bit difficult to find, Chromium would be nice as replacement

Also the Heatsinks i would lime to see mats that can be found by explorers. What about the barely used Polonium these days? It could be required already at basic and would make it less likely to get abused in combat but would still be an option for explorers

Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    According to the text at the top, basic is a half-load and standard is a full load
    Ah, thank you. I missed that then.

Originally Posted by WhatGravitas View Post (Source)
    The alternative is that every ship has a fixed synthesis module built-in that consumes power while active and/or drains the SYS capacitor. Not only does that achieve a similar goal ("meaty process"). it's also opening up new tactics instead of just saying "No!" to combat use - you just have to be willing to build around the power/SYS drain - are you willing to give up the power budget to heatsink all the time? Willing to risk somebody shooting out your synthesiser and crippling your strategy?

Pros and cons for each build.

Neatly enough, that will have little impact on out-of-combat use, since you tend to have a lot more power to play with when your hardpoints are retracted.

Finding the right spot for power consumption needs a bit more balancing than a timer... but has the advantage that it doesn't impact out-of-combat use much for most builds.
    THIS!!
    Have all the rep i can give you. I think that this is the best idea. Even explorers could make a break at surface / in deep space and shut down the thrusters to power instead the synthesis facility.
    It would provide a perfect solution for comvat and non-combat situations IMO

Originally Posted by DeathStroke View Post (Source)
    Proposed changes to synthasis:
    1. Heatsink recipe changed to 1 nickel 1 iron for basic, 2 nickel 2 iron for standard, 2 nickel 2 iron 1 proto heat radiator for premium.
    2. Chaff basic recipe changed to 2 iron 2 chromium.
    3. Life support. Add a new material only found on ice worlds called 'ICE' (genius right?), 1 unit of ice per minute of life support (rounded up to nearest whole minute).
    +1

Life support should come from ice and water. Ya know, electrolysis.
    That and basic heatsink synth mats need to be able to be found while in the black.

Also, synthesis should drain SYS capacitor for combat balance if that's an issue.

Finally, hull-repair should be able to restore a blown-out canopy. Either that, or make it so AMFU can't repair canopy. The modules should not have overlap.

IMO all synths should be non-instant, that is -- have a (variable) amount of time needed for their execution, depending on what is being synthesized; sort of similar to how different modules have a boot-up time associated with them. Frankly, things like ammo/limpet replenishment or SRV armour repair should have additional (temporary) cost associated with it, whether it be increased heat generation, fuel consumption or power drain (or all of the above), to make using them a tactical choice rather than a "magic potion" one can apply if one has grinded (ugh) materials long enough.

Secondly -- can we get the material limits and their in-game UI descriptions looked into? Frankly it's not great gameplay if I have to spend silly amount of time checking an out-of-game site/tool to figure out if I want to pick up these thingamabobs in front of me and which ones are safe to abandon, in order to make room for them... One of the frequently encountered proposed solutions to the capacity problem is limiting per-material, which seems very reasonable. As for the issue for not being sure about what does the specific material do, well, a couple of things would be necessary, such as :
    • listing all uses in the material info sub-page on the UI (there's some empty space there than can be utilized, even if it would have to be scrollable), and while I do realise it's not as easy as some mods for MMOs already do, by including material uses in a tooltip (because of the amount of uses Elite mats have), it would immensely help in "inventory tetris" that boggles down the game otherwise;
    • allow "pinning" any number of synths or blueprints (and viewing them outside engineer bases, through the in-cockpit engineer UI, because why not?), and also allow to "favourite" specific materials;
    • pinned and/or favourite mat names should include a small icon (i.e.: a "gear" for pinned and a "star" for favs) next to the mat name EVERYWHERE in the UI (whether it would be HUD target name, target list panel or the mats list itself); I don't think I need to explain how great QoL improvement that would be...

Well, anyway, that's my 2 credits... err ...well, make it 20 credits about the materials and crafting changes.

Add a meaningful time delay to completion of recipes that could be abused in combat.

25 minutes?

Explorers would be using these items to refill after use, so needing them asap is not an issue.

25 mins may seem long, but until the uber shield issue is mitigated PvP hardened loadouts may last this long, so not a credible tactic to replenish halfway through.

I am a bit surprised that this hadn't been included from the get go?

My opinion for Heatsink synthesis;

Basic HS synthesis should be elements only, not manufactured. But!
    All HS synthesis should take upward of 90 seconds to complete.
    Many other combat based synthesis should also take a decent amount of time, including all current ammo synthesis. This would allow you to allow all kinds of synthesis, but the more PvP centric ones, can take a very long time, making them mostly useless while actually in combat.
    Times can be discussed.

Falling off topic, but if a synthesis module was targetable, like the cargo hatch, you could target it to take out a ships ability to synthesise.
    Might pop that idea in the suggestions box later... If I remember. Lol
    (I only typed it so I'd remember. Please don't delete me yet!)

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast