Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: New Limpets and Synthesis Recipes Discussion

Originally Posted by Micha View Post (Source)
    As many others have already pointed out, synthing stuff which explorers need (ie, Heatsinks, repair and fuel limpets, etc) should only take basic materials, not manufactured ones.
    That makes exploration that already easy even easier. I think they should take manufactured materials not something that can be found out in deep space.

Require some time, and some requirement such as powering down, coming to a stop, etc and you remove all synth-imbalance in combat and other immediate danger scenarios. Ridiculous (albeit rather fun), for example, that you can repair an SRV while bouncing down a cliff and end up landing safe-and-sound at the bottom., or that you can synth your multi-cannon ammo in the middle of a dog-fight.
    I would like to have some type of time consuming on synth. Even for the SRV repairs. Even in Exploration it should take time to repair
    CMDR Vercingertorix

Exploration Goal 6,000 to 10,000 systems.
    Current 4,000 system
    Hall 90% Power Plant 90%
    The risk is to pushing my ship to the limits with out destroying my self while exploring.

Re: making life for explorers too easy, I bet Thargoids don't return to just the vicinity of the Bubble.

Originally Posted by Han_Zen View Post (Source)
    You need two of each and some 3303 atomic engineering magic.

Much less magic than torpedo synth though.
    torpedos are small
    look at ø42cm cannon shells with propellant... over 100 of them in an blink of an eye. THATS what i call magic!

Limpets are kind of pointless for explorers, since you need a rack AND controllers- if you want to repair and refuel, you need THREE internal slots dedicated to that, plus a scoop, plus a SRV probably. If you want to repair, you need an AFMU, and another AFMU to repair the first one. That's more slots than basically anything but an Exploraconda can bring to bear.

Make limpets ammo, so a cargo bay is not needed. Make limpets configurable, with a base capacity of 1, with slots only increasing the number that can be fielded.

THEN- the AspX can bring 2 AFMU, repair itself, refuel others.

And you still can't repair the power plant. That would be nice, say, if you shutdown-repair with a repair limpet attached.

That, and use gatherable materials to make base-level synthesis, please.

Originally Posted by Teh Smoo View Post (Source)
    Limpets are kind of pointless for explorers, since you need a rack AND controllers- if you want to repair and refuel, you need THREE internal slots dedicated to that, plus a scoop, plus a SRV probably. If you want to repair, you need an AFMU, and another AFMU to repair the first one. That's more slots than basically anything but an Exploraconda can bring to bear.

Make limpets ammo, so a cargo bay is not needed. Make limpets configurable, with a base capacity of 1, with slots only increasing the number that can be fielded.

THEN- the AspX can bring 2 AFMU, repair itself, refuel others.

And you still can't repair the power plant. That would be nice, say, if you shutdown-repair with a repair limpet attached.

That, and use gatherable materials to make base-level synthesis, please.
    I think your going off topic. It best to bring this up in a different thread. But to answer you. It all about Choices when you build a ship. What do you want most when you build a ship what are you willing to safrice. We should not have a ship that can do it all.
    CMDR Vercingertorix

Exploration Goal 6,000 to 10,000 systems.
    Current 4,000 system
    Hall 90% Power Plant 90%
    The risk is to pushing my ship to the limits with out destroying my self while exploring.

I like that the repair limpets take time but I feel like the larger controllers should repair for more. Not saying to crank it up to 1000 repair but maybe like 500 on a 5A, otherwise, the limpets are really only useful on smaller ships. Or make an engineering function to increase repair amount like 10%. They just don't feel like they do much outside of smaller ships. To repair 10% of my Anaconda's hull (It is Combat fitted so that didn't help) it took 8 limpets to repair 10%. As for the synthesis I am very pleased. Heat Sinks are always a hot commodity for combat pilots so being able to make more is nice. As for other aspects of the game I see it balancing alright. Explorers might just have to do a little more prep before they head into the void.

Since we can now repair practically everything (which I think is cool!), could we perhaps also have a way to repair the power plant? Make it need rare goods for the synthesis or limpet etc, but would be good to have an option out in the black.

Originally Posted by KillikHiveMind View Post (Source)
    I like that the repair limpets take time but I feel like the larger controllers should repair for more. Not saying to crank it up to 1000 repair but maybe like 500 on a 5A, otherwise, the limpets are really only useful on smaller ships. Or make an engineering function to increase repair amount like 10%. They just don't feel like they do much outside of smaller ships. To repair 10% of my Anaconda's hull (It is Combat fitted so that didn't help) it took 8 limpets to repair 10%. As for the synthesis I am very pleased. Heat Sinks are always a hot commodity for combat pilots so being able to make more is nice. As for other aspects of the game I see it balancing alright. Explorers might just have to do a little more prep before they head into the void.
    Which is exactly what a good explorer SHOULD be doing before they head out . Exploring is already the easiest and safest, albeit slowest, way to make money.

As I've posted previously, IMO heat sinks, limpets, missiles and mines should require some manufactured materials as unlike bullets and slugs, they require complex electronics and cooling systems

Elite: Dangerous Xbox One - Uncensored

"Remember to bring your big boy pants!"

Originally Posted by nathdixon92 View Post (Source)
    Which is exactly what a good explorer SHOULD be doing before they head out . Exploring is already the easiest and safest, albeit slowest, way to make money.

As I've posted previously, IMO heat sinks, limpets, missiles and mines should require some manufactured materials as unlike bullets and slugs, they require complex electronics and cooling systems
    From the needed components, preparation for exploring (if you want heat sinks) would include considerable combat.
    Cmdr Shivvy
    Pilots' Federation Academy, Class of '84
    More of my posts can be found at Facebook, Google+,Mastodon, Tumblr, Twitter, and Wordpress

As mentioned by many.

Explorers need hull and heat sinks so don't make them bubble specific recipes.
    I and others have posts in the past about heatsink balance (with regards to their synthesis) and I see even in the first few posts this came up with the same sentiments.

Synthesis requires additional wrinkles

1: timer (simple solution so spam creation in the heat of combat is negated)
    in addition
    2: uses system energy during this time span.
    (and / or)
    3: generates heat during this time. (Ideal in combat, but Might be crappy if you are in a hot situation whilst exploring )
    /Commander Woakes

Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    From the needed components, preparation for exploring (if you want heat sinks) would include considerable combat.
    Signal sources. All these materials can found in them.

Elite: Dangerous Xbox One - Uncensored

"Remember to bring your big boy pants!"

Originally Posted by Boff'in View Post (Source)
    As mentioned by many.

Explorers need hull and heat sinks so don't make them bubble specific recipes.
    I and others have posts in the past about heatsink balance (with regards to their synthesis) and I see even in the first few posts this came up with the same sentiments.

Synthesis requires additional wrinkles

1: timer (simple solution so spam creation in the heat of combat is negated)
    in addition
    2: uses system energy during this time span.
    (and / or)
    3: generates heat during this time. (Ideal in combat, but Might be crappy if you are in a hot situation whilst exploring )
    Just don't allow synth if the ship is "in danger".
    Cmdr Shivvy
    Pilots' Federation Academy, Class of '84
    More of my posts can be found at Facebook, Google+,Mastodon, Tumblr, Twitter, and Wordpress

Originally Posted by WhatGravitas View Post (Source)
    The alternative is that every ship has a fixed synthesis module built-in that consumes power while active and/or drains the SYS capacitor. Not only does that achieve a similar goal ("meaty process"). it's also opening up new tactics instead of just saying "No!" to combat use - you just have to be willing to build around the power/SYS drain - are you willing to give up the power budget to heatsink all the time? Willing to risk somebody shooting out your synthesiser and crippling your strategy?

Pros and cons for each build.

Neatly enough, that will have little impact on out-of-combat use, since you tend to have a lot more power to play with when your hardpoints are retracted.

Finding the right spot for power consumption needs a bit more balancing than a timer... but has the advantage that it doesn't impact out-of-combat use much for most builds.
    I think that this would be the best approach as well. It requires power use, so for some it mean having to put your weapons away. Shields may not be as good as power is diverted away etc.

A very good idea.

With all the balancing discussion going on, I created this kind of combined thread for future ideas that might be too late for 2.4.

Some Ideas For Balancing Synthesis

It includes time to Synthesis, heat generation, SYS use, and being a subsystem that can be targetted.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Hi Sandro,

I liked the idea of the hull repair limpet but i can't test it right now.

Would you at least consider the following, i am not the only one that feels bad when talking about limpets:

A. Currently, we have 3 types of controller limpets. One for hack others ships, one for collect material/commodities outside, and now one for hull repair.
    B. Limpets need cargo storage. And you get bored by others foes IA when you have some cargo inside ... even limpets ... they look juicy like Gold for some IAs =p (haha)

1) Can it be possible to avoid the need for cargo storage ? (for example, you have 1 or 2 or 3 limpets depending of the class of the module... they reconstruct in case of problem ...)

2) And if devs can do miracle, would they consider to merge all three types and make possible for the player to switch role between all the 3? not easy to implement, i know. but maybe it future release ?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast