Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: New Limpets and Synthesis Recipes Discussion

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee

New Limpets and Synthesis Recipes Discussion

Hello Commanders!

This thread is for feedback about the new Hull Repair limpets and Synthesis Recipes only. Please keep on topic, off topic posts may be deleted without warning!

New Synthesis Recipes
    • Chaff Synthesis.
    • Heat Sink Synthesis.
    • Life Support Synthesis.
    • Limpets Synthesis.
    • A new limpet controller: Hull Repair. Allows limpets to slowly repair hull over time.
    • Hull repair limpets repair canopy, but do not repair a blown canopy.
    • Any damage dealt to hull or shields will cause a hull repair limpet to fail and destruct.

We'd love to hear from you about these recipes. Are they working as intended? What are the long term consequences? Pop us a post!

I like hull repair limpets, although not a fan its basic synthesis needing Tin as its not the most common material there is to find.
    As it is just a basic synthesis, how about replacing Tin with something more common, for example Chromium?

Any plans for mods for the Repair Limpet Controller, e.g. Lightweight?
    Fly dangerous, CMDR Macros Black

I'm more concerned about the heat sinks tbh. Needing heating conduits (or something - away from my PC right now)
    Cmdr Shivvy
    Pilots' Federation Academy, Class of '84
    More of my posts can be found at Facebook, Google+,Mastodon, Tumblr, Twitter, and Wordpress

I really don't like the way the repair limpets work for exactly this reason: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-for-explorers

Please, please, re-consider the recipe for heatsinks, and make it something explorers can viably get while exploring.

This must be an oversight, based on someone thinking "It makes sense to use these materials that sound "heaty" like prooto hear radiaters"

And sure, it does, but, make that the premium ingredient.

Make the basic use simple materials from planet surfaces, or obtainable from asteroids (Some explorers pack a mining laser after a certain commander needed rescuing using someone else's from the other end of the galaxy)

I think I understand the thinking now, Like I said, it's a style, sounds right thing, but this needs to be changed to work for explorers, please.

This isn't part of the discussion I suspect, but I've always disliked the way limpets require cargo space. If a miracle occured that made them ammo, it'd be amazing.

Originally Posted by Novo Mundus View Post (Source)
    Please, please, re-consider the recipe for heatsinks, and make it something explorers can viably get while exploring.

This must be an oversight, based on someone thinking "It makes sense to use these materials that sound "heaty" like prooto hear radiaters"

And sure, it does, but, make that the premium ingredient.

Make the basic use simple materials from planet surfaces, or obtainable from asteroids (Some explorers pack a mining laser after a certain commander needed rescuing using someone else's from the other end of the galaxy)

I think I understand the thinking now, Like I said, it's a style, sounds right thing, but this needs to be changed to work for explorers, please.

This isn't part of the discussion I suspect, but I've always disliked the way limpets require cargo space. If a miracle occured that made them ammo, it'd be amazing.
    Or just go prepared and stock up

Elite: Dangerous Xbox One - Uncensored

"Remember to bring your big boy pants!"

It may just be a beta thing, like engineers having an unhealthy appetite for fish.
    Cmdr Shivvy
    Pilots' Federation Academy, Class of '84
    More of my posts can be found at Facebook, Google+,Mastodon, Tumblr, Twitter, and Wordpress

I am personally not a fan of all of the repair limpets and synthesis that is now available. I especially don't like the idea of being able to synthesise extra time for Life Support. On top of all of the changes that have been made since launch, the addition of Hull repair limpets + Synth, Heat sink synth and Life support synth, means short of ramming into a planet at full speed it's almost impossible to die through misadventure while exploring.

There have been a lot of comments about the Heat Sinks making combat unbalanced again, would a solution not be to add a timer to any synthesis if you are in a danger situation (i.e When you have the cooldown before you can log out)? That way if you're in combat, taking heat damage, or some other mishap you wouldn't be able to instantly synth something to save your life.

Elite

Immersion and realism kicking in. Since when to we breathe iron and nickel?

Also the synth for heat and chaff is meh. Ammo limitations have always been a value of balance for anything. Unlimited ammo certainly breaks balance for some weapons and modules and now since heatsinks have pretty limited ammo as well as chaff (bot hgot nerfed some months/years before) they are now insanely powerful.

IMO synth is a good idea but should come with downsides such as consturction tiem or a module requirnment. Add "mini factory" or whatnot as a module that is needed to construct ammo or add a cooldown to synth further loads. It just takes away the necessarity to equip more than a single of each, chaff and heat sinks for any purpose.

Considering the power of heatsinks in all aspects of the game, it has a real impact now. Having unlimited chaff and heatsink ammo without tardeoffs (once again). Additionally it just encourages the grindTM more in Elite which is agreed by the majority of the players ... isn't something desired.

Some limitations on synthesis as a whole would be appreciated. Unlimited ammo at the cost of materials? Sure. Instant? No. At no other tardeoffs besides grindTM? No, no, no.
    Commander Crimson Kaim, hunting imperials since 3301!
    > Video logs <

Loyal Federation Supporter

I think it will be worthwhile adding two size one compartments to the AspX and DBX, and one size one compartment to the Asp Scout and DBS.

You could restrict these to scanners but I see no need they are only class one anyway so won't unbalance combat particularly.

Edit: wrong thread
    If I don't respond, I apologize. I'm too busy playing the game.

Some of my thoughts:

Originally Posted by Novo Mundus View Post (Source)
    Please, please, re-consider the recipe for heatsinks, and make it something explorers can viably get while exploring. This must be an oversight, based on someone thinking "It makes sense to use these materials that sound "heaty" like prooto hear radiaters" And sure, it does, but, make that the premium ingredient.
    100% agree. The whole reason explorers wanted heat sink synthesis was for self sufficiency.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    There have been a lot of comments about the Heat Sinks making combat unbalanced again, would a solution not be to add a timer to any synthesis if you are in a danger situation (i.e When you have the cooldown before you can log out)? That way if you're in combat, taking heat damage, or some other mishap you wouldn't be able to instantly synth something to save your life.
    I'd go even further and make it so that any synthesis means a 20-30 second shutdown while it completes. This solves all the combat balance problems (not just for heatsinks, ammo & oxygen too). It also makes synthesis feel more like a meaty process and less like instant magic potions you pull out of hammer-space and quaff.

I also like shutdown better than "danger timer" because it leaves open the possibility to do synthesis as a last resort in desperate situations. So it's risky rather than arbitrarily impossible.
    CMDR Tannik Seldon - The "Million-to-One Chance"
    [Youtube]

Proposed changes to synthasis:
    1. Heatsink recipe changed to 1 nickel 1 iron for basic, 2 nickel 2 iron for standard, 2 nickel 2 iron 1 proto heat radiator for premium.
    2. Chaff basic recipe changed to 2 iron 2 chromium.
    3. Life support. Add a new material only found on ice worlds called 'ICE' (genius right?), 1 unit of ice per minute of life support (rounded up to nearest whole minute).

Definitely would prefer non bubble materials for heatsink synthesis, and would have expected it.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast