Page 7 of 8 First 35678 Last

Thread: E.D.I.S.O.N - Orbital and surface navigation / Waypoints

Thanks again for this awesome utility
    +1 rep

Version 4.0 available

Hey Commanders,

thank you all for your appreciation.

As of today version E.D.I.S.O.N. 4.0 is available for download bringing you some new features and fixes.

New:
    -Added ablility to import waypoints from .csv files.
    -Waypoints can be marked as visited.
    -Waypoints list can be filtered for visited/unvisited waypoints.

Changed/Improved:
    -Multiple (or all) waypoints can be deleted in one go.
    -Waypoints are now stored in csv format.

Fixed:
    -Settings are now saved and used correctly. (I wonder why nobody has noticed this before. )

Please report any bugs you encounter.

Upcoming features
    I'm currently working on loading the planet name and radius from the journal or an external database.
    The release is planned some time between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

I wish you all happy holidays.

Fly safe and have fun.

Maxine

E.D.I.S.O.N. on Elite Dangerous Codex:
    http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=431
    You will find the download link there.

Thank you Maxine, the new features are an excellent addition.
    The proposed additional planet info import will make this tool indispensable.
    Thank you again.

What a nice Christmas present, thank you Maxine

In the screenshots, it shows the use of down arrows, but for side arrows it seems to be using the rather goofy " --> " method. Might I suggest using right and left arrows → and ← ? For the "extended arrow" you simply could use more than one arrow, or, if the font supports them, more complex Unicode arrows could be used like the double and triple arrows, double-bar arrows or double-head arrows. Even simply multiples of the basic arrow, e.g. →→→ would be visually preferable to --> I think.

Hello Commanders,

warm greetings and a happy new year to you all.

I've been busy during the holidays and happy to be able to release version 5.0 today.

New:
    • Import planet radius from journal or EDSM.
      -Just enter latitude and longitude. Once you start the navigation system, body and radius will be filled by E.D.I.S.O.N.
      -If you are not on or near a planet, the information will be filled the next time you enter orbital cruise.
    • New columns in the waypoint manager. "Distance to Sol" and "Distance" (from current position).
      -There are two new buttons to start the calculation for these values.
    • The list of waypoints can be 'saved as'. Use this to create backups or share your waypoints with other commanders.

Improved:
    • The direction arrows in the overlay are now displayed dynamically... without steps. Sorry, I don't know how to explain this. Please have a look for yourself. I have updated the picture in the OP.

Please report any bugs you encounter.

Upcoming features
    I'm thinking of implementing a feature that allows the creation of flight plans.
    Basically a list of waypoints to follow, that can also be shared between commanders.

Fly safe and have fun.

Maxine

E.D.I.S.O.N. on Elite Dangerous Codex:
    http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=431
    You will find the download link there.

Downloading now. Thanks for one of the most useful tools ever

Brilliant! I just upgraded from 3.3.

Thanks, Maxine.

Thanks Maxine, Happy New Year.
    Just had a quick run on 5.0
    Two small points.
    Radius value not showing on main window, Current Position.
    Manage Waypoints - "New from current position" does not pull in Body or System. Lat, Long, Rad are shown ok.

Hello Commanders,

Version 5.1 is out now.

It fixes bugs reported by Manw. See Changelog.txt for details.

Fly safe and have fun.

Maxine

Thanks Maxine, it's looking good.
    One suggestion. In view of the accuracy difficulties when the target is being approached, it would be helpful to show target lat/long on the overlay screen I think. Say just above the left/right arrows.

Originally Posted by Manw View Post (Source)
    Thanks Maxine, it's looking good.
    One suggestion. In view of the accuracy difficulties when the target is being approached, it would be helpful to show target lat/long on the overlay screen I think. Say just above the left/right arrows.
    The inaccuracy is not that big (if the correct radius is used) that it should create problems.

There is a problem of overshooting your target, but that is caused by the update interval of the status.json file.

Nevertheless, I will think about your suggestion.

Gidday Maxine,

A really interesting app, using on screen OCR, wow... will be trying it out while moving through DW2.

So, I had this thought , could it be used to detect the fuel scooping status info near stars.
    With a plan to make a fuel scoop control computer to hold the ship at optimum distant
    while not over heating....??

kind regards, Alan

Hey, just wanted to say thank you so much for taking the time to make this great app. Just gave it a try and i like it.

I was just heading to my destination, and decided to stop by a different planet because I had a mission there, and i had navigation on and it started telling me that i was 5km away from my destination, when in fact, I wasn't even on the right planet. Is there a way to make E.D.I.S.O.N understand which planet you are on, and have it understand if its the target planet or not? I don't want to have to keep turning navigation on and off, but i keep hearing the text to speech directions even when i'm not on the destination planet.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by algwat View Post (Source)
    Gidday Maxine,

A really interesting app, using on screen OCR, wow... will be trying it out while moving through DW2.

So, I had this thought , could it be used to detect the fuel scooping status info near stars.
    With a plan to make a fuel scoop control computer to hold the ship at optimum distant
    while not over heating....??

kind regards, Alan
    Hi algwat,

since Elite Dangerous provides all nesscary information in the easly accessbile status.json file, EDISON no longer uses OCR.
    Regardless, your suggestion, as cool as it may be, sounds very much like an autopilot and as far as I know FDev does not allow these.

o7
    Maxine