Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 121 to 134 of 134

Thread: FDEV PLEASE more STORAGE !!

  1. #121
    Originally Posted by bigity View Post (Source)
    Doesn't mean they are correct and people shouldn't ask for it to be changed
    Hey, they could always charge for extra inventory.

  2. #122
    Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    Hey, they could always charge for extra inventory.
    Don't give them any ideas

  3. #123
    Originally Posted by bigity View Post (Source)
    Boost storage and/or give us some tools to manage it better. A toggle for 'don't bother loading up more of this crap mat not used at all' and current counts shown when targeting a mat floating out in the world or on the mission reward section.

    So we don't need overlays to provide basic UI functions.
    Actually, this would be better. I gave in and spent an hour or two going through Inara and noting all the the level 5 blueprint mats and deleting all the rest from my inventory this past week. Plenty of spare storage space now! Having the Pinned Blueprint limitation, and no list of engineer blueprints in the material info prevented this from being easily accomplished in-game alone.

    One minor QoL idea: if we can't have a count of the currently stored materials when targeting a material - how about automatically selecting/highlighting the material in the materials list in the right inventory panel? That way we just have to look from left to right to see the count, and not have to scroll down a big list that resets back to the top every time. Though ideally I'd like to see another row in the tabular data in the target panel showing the storage count.

  4. #124
    Physical storage of bits of rocks and space junk takes up actual space, but data scans don't they fill a device that already has a physical size, that won't change.
    Technically it's mass does but even if you weighed every hard drive ever made then filled it to capacity the combined difference would be minuscule.

    The 31st century shouldn't be bound by such small data allowances.

    I'd happily be up for a filter or setting to limit the annoying automatic pick up of scan data for everything I point my ship at.

  5. #125
    I really don't understand why there are limits there in the first place. It's not like this info takes any relevant amount of space. It's a fixed size table with a fixed size value per user... what the efff (also stop censuring wt ... eff, we are not children).

  6. #126
    Originally Posted by Karl Agathon View Post (Source)
    I really don't understand why there are limits there in the first place. It's not like this info takes any relevant amount of space. It's a fixed size table with a fixed size value per user... what the efff (also stop censuring wt ... eff, we are not children).
    The reasoning is quite understandable (and I agree with it):

    1) To prevent "engineering roll spam".
    Most materials are not that hard to obtain in large numbers - especially the lower grades. Sometimes it is hard to find the locations where they spawn, but when there, even rarer materials can be found in large numbers.
    Now, the standing with engieers is based on the number and grades of engineering attempts. This is important after unlocking them, but also after adjusting an outcome.
    As even grade 1 rolls will eventually achieve the reputation raise, unlimited storage would invite a misuse of the system. You own thousands of iron? Just roll those grade 1 blueprints almost limitless and get (back) to your grade 5 access effortlessly!

    2) FDev wants us to fly around and play the game.
    Limiting the availability of materials makes us fly around and look for a restock, if we want to improve our current engineering status. With limitless storage, we could easily visit an engineer once and roll until we are satisfied. Inconvenient? Yes, maybe. But at the end of the day, flying a spaceship is what the game is about.

    3) Games are about limitations and the decisions and planning to deal with them.
    Really, literally every game! To close to another city to found a new city in "Civilization"? Your bad, find another spot! Not strong enough to pick up another loot in any RPG? Well, decide what is more important for you! Not able to kick this black Queen with your white Tower in a game of chess due to its bad positioning on the board, even if you want it so much? Well, plan ahead!
    Decide, which modifications and synthesis you want. What materials are useful to you? Which do you not need? Which so are hard to find that you want a larger stock if you finally found a "gold pocket"?
    All this are decisions that make the game more interesting. Remove them and the game gets more bland and boring.

    Having said this, we need better tools to enforce our decisions. Constantly throwing away unwanted materials and data is enervating and doesn't add any interesting aspects to the game.
    Therefore, as others and I have mentioned multiple times in this thread, I once again request a player defined limit for each material/data!

  7. #127
    If FD won't up the limits, either make every material worth collecting and less redundant, or cull materials and make the list narrower.

    I mean, cracked industrial firmware is in everything, but open symmetric keys are not.

  8. #128
    Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    Hey, they could always charge for extra inventory.
    I think that is a very bad idea, unfair to some players. Real-game shouldnt give you advantage.

    500/1000 is too limiting - especially with the need of carrying more alien stuff. Upping it to 1000/2000 for everyone would be a lot better, and fair.

  9. #129
    The other option would be to make it an in game exchangeable commodity, that way rather than just jettisoning it, you could swap it with fellow CMDR's.

    This would give it a reason to be collected. At least when rock hopping I can decide if I want to scoop something or not, so anything I dont specifically need I just drive past.

    With scans as its automatic you just get it, which means you need to check what it was most of the time as the onscreen notification is gone as you were looking at something more important when it came up, then decide to keep or ditch it. House keeping of some sort is always going to be needed but more space will mean less frequent cleanouts.

    All it is at the mo is a number on the screen next to a description and a sound effect when you dump it. There's no actual value to them.

    Throwing it the other way ......


    I ditched most of the data I had the other week after spending sometime on websites finding out exactly what these data items were useful for then binning everything have no need to ever use.

    Being able to block certain types of data collection would sort this instantly with out needing more space, just optimising the space I already have.

  10. #130
    Originally Posted by Deggial View Post (Source)
    3) Games are about limitations and the decisions and planning to deal with them.
    Really, literally every game! To close to another city to found a new city in "Civilization"? Your bad, find another spot! Not strong enough to pick up another loot in any RPG? Well, decide what is more important for you! Not able to kick this black Queen with your white Tower in a game of chess due to its bad positioning on the board, even if you want it so much? Well, plan ahead!
    Decide, which modifications and synthesis you want. What materials are useful to you? Which do you not need? Which so are hard to find that you want a larger stock if you finally found a "gold pocket"?
    All this are decisions that make the game more interesting. Remove them and the game gets more bland and boring.
    An interesting analogy. It doesn't work for me personally, I'm afraid.

    To me, this ...

    Originally Posted by Deggial View Post (Source)
    To close to another city to found a new city in "Civilization"? Your bad, find another spot!
    ... makes Civilization more interesting.

    Whereas this ...

    Originally Posted by Deggial View Post (Source)
    Decide, which modifications and synthesis you want. What materials are useful to you? Which do you not need? Which so are hard to find that you want a larger stock if you finally found a "gold pocket"?
    All this are decisions that make the game more interesting. Remove them and the game gets more bland and boring.
    ... is so mind-numbingly boring that I actually feel bored even thinking about it while typing these words.

    To be fair, I accept your point about deciding what modifications you want. But that's not the same as deciding which materials to store. You could still do the former, with no limit on the latter. In fact, we could decide what mods we want without materials existing at all.

    A part of Elite that, for me, would match your analogy, in a good way, would be the careful decisions I make concerning mass when outfitting my g5 dirty Enhanced Drives iCourier, or the careful decisions I made concerning power when outfitting my power-starved 1.3 PvP FdL.

    But I'm afraid that, to me, almost all decision-taking concerning the process of acquiring and storing RNGineer materials is dull beyond belief. Nothing would improve my game better than a permanent Fish Beta ... which was precisely, in effect, what (with sufficient credits) we had before 2.1 dropped.

  11. #131
    Hey, can I have some room as well in the crowd of People asking for more storage? *squeezes body between protestors and raises cardboard*


  12. #132
    They can either increase the storage or they can massively reduce the amount of RNG needed to get the mats and when making engineering roles.

    This slot machine approach to crafting is not crafting. Its the local lottery or bingo hall being emulated in space. The Only RNG involved in any of the Engineering recipes should be the bonus stats roll and the special effects roll. All of the rest of the stat changes should be static based on the Tier of the mod being added to the ship. RNG should never be used to decrease an items usefulness in any game. It should either add a benefit or it should add nothing. It should not punish you for doing exactly what the game asked you to do. Its a terrible system.

    You should be able to gather and farm all resources in the game. You should also be able to know exactly where and how to get the materials. Mission based materials need to go away. There are better ways to get them, see any other game that exists with crafting.

    The only reason RNG need be involved is the quality of the roll for the materials. So base roll gets you 3 mats minimum. Better roll gets you six mats. Best roll gets you 12 mats. Rare roll gets you 6 mats and some other valuable material or object.

  13. #133
    Originally Posted by Zambrick View Post (Source)
    They can either increase the storage or they can massively reduce the amount of RNG needed to get the mats and when making engineering roles.

    This slot machine approach to crafting is not crafting. Its the local lottery or bingo hall being emulated in space. The Only RNG involved in any of the Engineering recipes should be the bonus stats roll and the special effects roll. All of the rest of the stat changes should be static based on the Tier of the mod being added to the ship. RNG should never be used to decrease an items usefulness in any game. It should either add a benefit or it should add nothing. It should not punish you for doing exactly what the game asked you to do. Its a terrible system.

    You should be able to gather and farm all resources in the game. You should also be able to know exactly where and how to get the materials. Mission based materials need to go away. There are better ways to get them, see any other game that exists with crafting.

    The only reason RNG need be involved is the quality of the roll for the materials. So base roll gets you 3 mats minimum. Better roll gets you six mats. Best roll gets you 12 mats. Rare roll gets you 6 mats and some other valuable material or object.
    The fact that the Engineers have the depth of a mobile phone game is another matter entirely. Also count me in for those who want more storage or the ability to easily manage the mats.

  14. #134
    How about having separate material storage with each ship ? Rather than it moving with the player you could store data and materials in any ship and use that for engineering etc

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789