Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How does iron and nickle make oxygen?

Because frontier will be emulating something like the emergency oxygen supply used by commercial airliners; which uses a chemical reaction to generate oxygen. Or Frontier have a habit of reading scientific papers. Either or.

I think this is the justification people are using:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_oxygen_system

However, airline emergency oxygen generators use mostly sodium perchlorate according to Wikipedia.

Originally Posted by amadeus1171 View Post (Source)
    Because that's the synth to replenish life support.
    Chemistry physics and access to what I can only assume is a fusion based power plant.

Let science speak.

MIT Prof. Donald R. Sadoway on how oxygen can be generated on the Moon.

https://mpc-www.mit.edu/home-2/item/...#&ts=undefined

Originally Posted by Frank_G View Post (Source)
    Let science speak.

MIT Prof. Donald R. Sadoway on how oxygen can be generated on the Moon.

https://mpc-www.mit.edu/home-2/item/...#&ts=undefined
    but we do not use metal oxides for the synthesis of life support expansion. how does it help to link another redox article?

This isn't most whacked crafting recipe in ED by far. Don't whack the reality bat on the crafting system too hard. It might all melt down and turn to oxigen!

I think you guys are over thinking it.

The life support in our ship pressurized the cabin with oxygen. When canopy breaks, oxygen concentration falls, but life support continues producing oxygen. It just escapes into space.

The materials are used to make a tank. The tank is used to connect to life support to collect oxygen, then once filled, it's connected to the space suit to provide oxygen directly to our suit.

Easy.

Originally Posted by Unknown Zombie View Post (Source)
    I think you guys are over thinking it.

The life support in our ship pressurized the cabin with oxygen. When canopy breaks, oxygen concentration falls, but life support continues producing oxygen. It just escapes into space.

The materials are used to make a tank. The tank is used to connect to life support to collect oxygen, then once filled, it's connected to the space suit to provide oxygen directly to our suit.

Easy.
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Originally Posted by Frank_G View Post (Source)
    When you apply heat to iron f.e., the oxidation states of atoms are changed by the chemical reaction. That works in both directions, so you can increase or decrease the state - or better, you can force the iron to take oxygen in or force it to let go of it. Iron oxides are very reactive and you can get plenty of oxygen out of it. Sort of the same thing applies for nickel and nitrogen.

What Frontier did here was scientific homework, not senseless gameplay stuff. You can actually generate the main ingredients for human breathable atmosphere out of those substances. NASA and Roscosmos are thinking about utilizing such techniques for Moon and Mars missions these days.
    Where did you learn chemistry ?.
    Iron as an element does not contain oxygen and nickle does not contain nitrogen. The only way to convert one ELEMENT into another ELEMENT is through nuclear processes ie: neutron absorbtion, fusion or fission. Fission of iron mass 55.8 or Nickle mass 58.6 could generate oxygen mass 15.99 using two to make 02 we breathe, Nitrogen has mass 14.0 again requiring two to make breathable nitrogen N2. So using some unknown fission reactor could generate the lighter elements from the heavier, only need to figure out hoe to breathe highly radioactive air since the fission products created in these types of reaction tend to be a bit on the hot side and have a tendancy to decay into other less desirable elemenats than oxygen and nitrogen.

Well my guess would be that the Life support system is based on a Fe/Ni catalysed reduction of CO2 to O2 (likely using easily available H2 to also produce water)

Originally Posted by amadeus1171 View Post (Source)
    Because that's the synth to replenish life support.
    Fe(III) Superoxide, Nickel superoxide dismutase, and Oxygen Candle - all good sources of reasoning to look up.

Fe+Ni=O2

That's elementary school stuff. Didn't you know? Jeez, back in my days we used to know this ...

Originally Posted by Crimson Kaim View Post (Source)
    Fe+Ni=O2

That's elementary school stuff. Didn't you know? Jeez, back in my days we used to know this ...
    Quite, next they be saying you can't make lead from gold.

They are most likely using the iron and nickle as a catalyst for an oxygen evolution reaction

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/...nalCode=aamick
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja502379c

Excuse me whilst I retcon that idea ^^^

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123