Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Serious Question, Why cant we name and shame ?

So I'm probably "late to the party", but it just dawned on me today that Elite: Dangerous itself names and shames! There's a bounty report available at each local station which shows the top 5 bounties for CMDRs for the system. So I've got a list of the top 5 griefers at the CG right at my finger tips, and I can see how "griefy" they are based on the bounty they have. Now what I don't know is whether or not the list is platform-specific, but it does give me names to look out for. I'm a noob at PvP, so I'll be using these names to avoid said players, not to hunt them.

Any thoughts on this? If someone said, "Let's go hunt the 'top 5' in system XYZ tonight!" is that kosher?

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    So I'm probably "late to the party", but it just dawned on me today that Elite: Dangerous itself names and shames! There's a bounty report available at each local station which shows the top 5 bounties for CMDRs for the system. So I've got a list of the top 5 griefers at the CG right at my finger tips, and I can see how "griefy" they are based on the bounty they have. Now what I don't know is whether or not the list is platform-specific, but it does give me names to look out for. I'm a noob at PvP, so I'll be using these names to avoid said players, not to hunt them.

Any thoughts on this? If I said, "Let's go hunt the 'top 5' in system XYZ tonight!" is that kosher?
    Haha nice one!! That's one way to do it, in-game problems have in-game solutions.
    MSR

Because last time a Name and Shame got passed the censors (published on Galnet, when someone shot a fuel rat) a player was hounded both in and out of game so much he had to change his emails and reset his account.

Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    Because last time a Name and Shame got passed the censors (published on Galnet, when someone shot a fuel rat) a player was hounded both in and out of game so much he had to change his emails and reset his account.
    That's it, the tragedy next-door I've been talking about.
    MSR

Hey-soos! Why is it so [expletive deleted]'ing hard for you (general) people to [expletive deleted]ing ignore, plain old [expletive deleted]ing ignore someone on-line who harassing, bothering, or annoying you?
    I mean for [expletive deleted]'s sake, it's just not that [expletive deleted]ing hard. E-mail - create a rule in your mail client that automatically deletes without even reading any e-mail that might make you [expletive deleted]ing cry.
    Pretty sure we have a [expletive deleted]ing Block feature here too, and while I don't actually have anyone in mine, I'd wager it probably stops messages from those people too.

I've lost track of how many sob-stories the media has tried to ram down our throats about some [expletive deleted]ing kid who off's themselve because of [expletive deleted] people said ONLINE - and I'm absolutely stunned that anyone could be so [expletive deleted]ing --- grah! [expletive deleted]ing IGNORE them. And stop using your real [expletive deleted]ing names online. I know, it's a [expletive deleted]ing stroke of [expletive deleted] damned genius I know - if you don't put your actual given name out there, nobody knows who the [expletive deleted] you are, and can't [expletive deleted]ing pick on you.

Just let that all sink in a long minute. I know, it's hard to do, but really let it sink in deep.

It's really just common [expletive deleted]ing sense.

I know, it's really not common at all these days, and it's only getting worse as society circles the drain faster and faster, but come on already, use your (general) heads for something other than to keep (whatever) hair you have (left) in place.
    Everybody was given some measure of grey matter, and it's not just there to keep your [expletive deleted]ing ears from whistling in the wind - use the stuff.

We don't need anyone to protect us, but ourselves.

OMG someone shamed me on this forum or any other for a PVP attack which in their eye's was a "Grief" attempt. Honestly is someone is weak minded individual that requires sorting legal action and/or taking some silly measure cause they can not handle it. Time to get packed back in cotton wool, close the door, Bar and lock it down and wait for rapture! You're to weak to go outside!

We all live in a pee weak society these days. Honestly If I attacked someone to intentionally "Grief" them (I very rarely do PVP but I do like hunting certain players renown for it), paste my name anywhere you want (I have thick skin and can handle it). Might actually make Elite "Dangerous" instead of Elite: Soft Cuddly Toy with players chasing me down and having to keep an eye on the radar more often.

Frankly any C&P in Elite will be a joke, IMO I don't think you will get a decent system in-place now and something should of been in place at Live.

I enjoy playing in OPEN and also play in 2 other Private Groups. I don't give two hoots if I am engaged by an every day player after some PVP or the current group of morons who just loving ganking anyone for their on cheap thrills. I have 6 kids, I can handle a bunch of morons in Open any day and twice on Sundays.

Anyone that can not handle this needs to stick to Solo, Private Group and enjoy the game, if everyone who wants to steer clear of the so called Ganking actions of certain player(s) this is your only way and may in time make Open a grave yard which then they have nothing. For me I shall continue to travel the stars in Open with an Eye on the radar and my list of names I am pursuing in the name of payback (or griefing if so called since I will be opening fire immediately win or lose). I need danger in this game, cause in its current for there is virtually "Zero" fear of anything in Elite.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Hey-soos! Why is it so [expletive deleted]'ing hard for you (general) people to [expletive deleted]ing ignore, plain old [expletive deleted]ing ignore someone on-line who harassing, bothering, or annoying you?
    I mean for [expletive deleted]'s sake, it's just not that [expletive deleted]ing hard. E-mail - create a rule in your mail client that automatically deletes without even reading any e-mail that might make you [expletive deleted]ing cry.
    Pretty sure we have a [expletive deleted]ing Block feature here too, and while I don't actually have anyone in mine, I'd wager it probably stops messages from those people too.

I've lost track of how many sob-stories the media has tried to ram down our throats about some [expletive deleted]ing kid who off's themselve because of [expletive deleted] people said ONLINE - and I'm absolutely stunned that anyone could be so [expletive deleted]ing --- grah! [expletive deleted]ing IGNORE them. And stop using your real [expletive deleted]ing names online. I know, it's a [expletive deleted]ing stroke of [expletive deleted] damned genius I know - if you don't put your actual given name out there, nobody knows who the [expletive deleted] you are, and can't [expletive deleted]ing pick on you.

Just let that all sink in a long minute. I know, it's hard to do, but really let it sink in deep.

I know, it's really not common at all these days, and it's only getting worse as society circles the drain faster and faster, but come on already, use your (general) heads for something other than to keep (whatever) hair you have (left) in place.
    Everybody was given some measure of grey matter, and it's not just there to keep your [expletive deleted]ing ears from whistling in the wind - use the stuff.

Unfortunately society today allows people to be unaccountable for their own actions and be cotton wooled everywhere. It is why bags of peanuts now come with the "may contain nuts" warning, and other such dumb "safety" signs. Instead of Darwinism survival of the fittest, it seems to be preservation of the dumbest.

So he was too stupid to delete his friend list and switch to solo for some weeks, until he is forgotten? Don't tell me he even doxed himself? Indeed, a tragedy
    Zorgon Peterson Foxtrot Romeo India over o7

My Explorer Profile on EDSM

i hate the actions of a few in this game. it saddens and angers me that the game does nothing to discourage it, and that the (ingame) punishments DB explained to curtail those who insist on those who want to "play" the role of ingame serial killer are not there and that this role is now the easiest role to play in the game.

I also agree the urge to want to vent on here because neither the game or FD do naff all to offer the non pvp player an ingame way to vent or "see" ingame justice.

but all that being said... the game is age 7 rating....... and so even when you consider all of the above... do you really want real world threats, insults and hate towards the players?.

I know i have been vocal against a section of the player base on these forums, esp those who act like pink haired wizards... but there is a line, and if it is true that people have crossed that line into the real world due to being named on here then........... I have to side with FD, even if it goes against my "gut" feeling.

no one should have their meat suit feel threatend over a game. I STILL blame FD as much as the players for the lions share of these problems.

now if Open was given an adult age rating, and a warning on entering that

"on entering open you agree to accept any and all in game consequences, and your CMDR name may be publicised by victims on an infamy boardto allow bounty hunters claim in game bounties against you and other players to keep an eye out for you .... then that would problably mean people from both sides of the coin would know where they stand.
    Fiat Coupe 20VT+ Gone..... Nissan 350Z Gone. Replaced with dirty nappies, no sleep and sicky shirts. Thank god for my Cobra MK III. Fast, practical AND child friendly

- Ganking people IS part of the game it's just that the consequences are insignificant.
    - Name and shame would not exist if a good C&P system was in existence where actions have lasting consequences IN the game world.
    - Name and shame can also cause false accusations and unfair manhunts due to mob mentality
    - Worst case a false accusation can make someone loose and account
    CMDR: Thomas Ramirez

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)

Any thoughts on this? If someone said, "Let's go hunt the 'top 5' in system XYZ tonight!" is that kosher?
    Yes it's kosher

And it's been done many times

The problem is that clubbers jus swap to another game mode when the sheriff and posse show up. So most people gave up trying to organise a long time ago...

Now back to your regular scheduled service of people hurling insults at each other and talking about how online harassment "toughens people up"...mixed of course with the usual political stereotypes people trot out on this that for some odd reason are apparently permitted on this thread...

Not everyone has a rhino hide, and I while adults can and do do the things you mentioned, I find your comments about kids cruel and your advice about not using your real name naive.

We live in a world where Facebook friends are extremely important (try not using your real name there - get back in touch if it works), people upload pictures of the glasses of water they're served in restaurants, and anyone younger than 40 is glued to a smartphone. I find all this silly, but that's life.

Bullies who taunt children on the web and those who suggest that the response to this is to cut off access these children have to parts of the internet, effectively allowing bullies free rein are dreck.

What happens when someone goes outside of the realms of the sort of thing youre talking about. My wife for example got an expletive filled email regarding my actions in game from one particular special individual. Also, I at the height of UA Bombing, when I was working for a government dept, I ended up hauled into an interview with my manager and a police representative because someone had spam emailed my office email (which, note: I dont give out) and clogged the email server with lots of 'youre a terrorist' type nonsense which had set off the email filters.

The problem is there are idiots in this community who equate real life /death to the explosion of e-spaceships. What we dont need is another Mittani 'LOL, this guy is suicidal, all goons harrass him till he snaps' like nonsense

/ snip rant about something that annoys poster /
    Like you're doing here? LOL

The problem is there are idiots in this community who equate real life /death to the explosion of e-spaceships. What we dont need is another Mittani 'LOL, this guy is suicidal, all goons harrass him till he snaps' like nonsense
    Yep.

It doesn't matter if you're talking about a video game, supporting a football team, voicing political opinions or offering advice on dog-grooming.

There are people out there who're mad as a box of frogs and who's only objective is to "win", and if that means doxxing you and then cancelling your internet service, getting you fired from your job or intimidating you with threats of real-world violence, they're perfectly okay with that if it's a means to their desired end.

These people are complete lunatics and no amount of "protecting yourself" is going to prevent them from attempting to do the things they want to do.
    At best, all you can hope for is that any 3rd-parties involved will see their lunacy for what it is.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast