Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Serious Question, Why cant we name and shame ?

It is actually quite simple. If the kids cant behave, then you put boundaries.

Naming and shaming is disallowed because it would leave the door open for slander that might not even be true.

Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    As for videos attacking other people, this is one of the grey areas that I mentioned... and something perhaps that we'll need to review internally should it be as rampant as is being suggested; however, keep in mind that attacking other players in the game is not in itself harassment. Repeatedly targeting and singling out someone with the intention to harass them, on the other hand, should be reported.
    There have been facebook groups set up specifically for poeple to post videos of them attacking others, to draw ridicule. It's sad to see, though as of course it's nothing to do with Frontier directly, not much can be done. Certainly I am hoping per your previous comment that the new C&P changes coming might help to mitigate this, and I would hope that posts put up on the forums to ridicule commanders being attacked are treated just as seriously as those naming and shaming folks (with evidence) for doing it

So is this within the rules?
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...87#post5858487

I just want to know what the limits are.

Originally Posted by daman View Post (Source)
    So is this within the rules?
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...87#post5858487

I just want to know what the limits are.
    Then read the entire thread. It was fairly well clarified there.

does that not count as naming and shaming the commander who died?

Originally Posted by PixelBandits View Post (Source)
    does that not count as naming and shaming the commander who died?
    Yes it does, but that's okay because it was posted by a player killer. When the victim posts the reverse video, THEN Frontier steps in and gives people infractions or bans. I know because it happened to me when I once posted a video of a cheater who repeatedly killed me (and many others) outside of a station. My post was deleted and I recieved an infraction for doing so due to naming and shaming. However, when a greifer does the opposite it is always okay for some reason.

Frontier's policy protects the griefers. They might not intend it to do so (or maybe they do?) but it does. Much like how the game itself works actually in open, the player killers / griefers have all the power and none of the risks or consequences. If a viable C&P+Karma system ever gets implemented into the game then maybe someday some balance can be implemented to the forum policy as well? That would be nice.

For now though, yes it is lopsided.

Originally Posted by Zaphod Hawke View Post (Source)
    Then read the entire thread. It was fairly well clarified there.
    Dale said here
    Repeatedly targeting and singling out someone with the intention to harass them, on the other hand, should be reported.

Given the video person says he went after them purely because they went lol - can be seen as repeatedly targeting and singling out that commander. Esp then to post a video about it.

Again I don't really care either way but lack of consistency is a problem.

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    Yes it does, but that's okay because it was posted by a player killer. When the victim posts the reverse video, THEN Frontier steps in and gives people infractions or bans. I know because it happened to me when I once posted a video of a cheater who repeatedly killed me (and many others) outside of a station. My post was deleted and I recieved an infraction for doing so due to naming and shaming. However, when a greifer does the opposite it is always okay for some reason.

Frontier's policy protects the griefers. They might not intend it to do so (or maybe they do?) but it does. Much like how the game itself works actually in open, the player killers / griefers have all the power and none of the risks or consequences. If a viable C&P+Karma system ever gets implemented into the game then maybe someday some balance can be implemented to the forum policy as well? That would be nice.

For now though, yes it is lopsided.
    I would like to know the reasoning for this as it doesn't appear to add up.

Originally Posted by zarrazee View Post (Source)
    OP. Why should we be allowed to name and shame? What a waste of time, energy, emotion & effort. If one feels someone has "wronged" them, isn't it better to forgive? Rather than incite hate and animosity?
    I would personally go for revenge revenge is the sweetest meat there is.

I understand its to protect the innocent accused but I'm not sure why with video evidence proving its true its still the case. Cheats and loggers might think twice if they thought their antics were openly visible and not as easy to get away with. Funnily online people dont seem to have any shame, they arent embarrassed to cheat, maybe as they are so protected.

Even the game used to tell you CMDRs with high bounties so they could be hunted down, why did that go? seems like thats gone now to even protect those. Its taking a good rule that makes sense, like protecting innocent and going too far by protecting the guilty also.

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    Without details, this just sounds like an overhyped urban myth, imo.
    Well, I cant name any names and I dont know any more details that are fact. I was there though along with many others, It was fairly well known that he was blatantly cheating by many in the community. This is no myth even if it sounds like it. There was another involved as well and he didnt get named but it made no difference as his rep went South as well since he was blatantly cheating with it as well.

I respect the potential innocence here, but if you need to ask this question you should probably sit down with a few minutes spare and try to develop your analytic senses.

Firstly: because...well, because you're a dirty griefer with body odour taking an inferiority complex out on small children recently.

See how easy that was? I mean, witch hunting isn't new to the forums, and crap like the above still makes it around. But at least it's not thrown around here to incite in-game attacks. If we could name and shame, I could happily have created a couple of fake accounts and had you hunted in-game for whatever made up crap I want.

Secondly
    : because you are not this game's moderator.

Seriously, your proposal rests on a single assumption: that you have the right to witch-hunt murderers. You personally have decided murder is a playstyle that merits a reaction designed to push them out of the game.

That is using out-of-game motives to harass a player in-game, and constitutes "griefing" far more than any single murder charge. Congrats, you're supporting griefing!

If FD deigned the playstyle as unacceptable, they would simply ask for reports to be generated and moderate it themselves. As they have not, and no Ts/Cs object to murder, it's established that murder is a legitimate playstyle, whether you personally like it or not.

So...you have as much right to start witch hunts on murderers as I do a right to start witch hunts on PvE advocates. And I assure you now, mate...if you want to open the floodgates on murderers/PvEers witch hunting each other, there can literally be only one outcome: murderers dominate entirety of open space, while PvEers dominate this forum with complaints about what bad people PvPers are outside of the game (oh look, so nothing would change after all...*chuckles*)

TL;DR we don't name and shame because it's FD's job to moderate whether someone else's playstyle is acceptable; if it is, what you're asking would constitute the griefing that ISN'T acceptable. And if a playstyle is unacceptable, they fix it, not you. We also don't name and shame because if we did...you would lose.

Peace out.

Originally Posted by Kevin Kyle View Post (Source)
    Well, I cant name any names and I dont know any more details that are fact. I was there though along with many others, It was fairly well known that he was blatantly cheating by many in the community. This is no myth even if it sounds like it. There was another involved as well and he didnt get named but it made no difference as his rep went South as well since he was blatantly cheating with it as well.
    Maybe myth is a little far. I have no problems believing that something happened. But bad reputation for hacking a computer game has never ruined anyone's life... It's playground antics. As soon as you leave the playground, real life resumes.

One thought.... who cares?

Does a "griefer" really care if his CMDR avatar name is posted? Its not his "real name" hopefully, and given if a true "griefer" is playing the game simply to annoy others, would that person even care to be "named?"

I googled a CMDR dude who griefed me a few weeks ago, and found one youtube vid where he was victim and one post on this forum by him a few years back. Basically it tells me, he does not really care... as he is not active in the community, and likely simply plays the game as he sees fit. Which is all good.

I am a fan of the, "Foreigner," science fiction series by CJ Cherryh. In that universe, the Atevi have a way of dealing with grievances between people. The grieved party can swear out a contract against the perpetrator. The Assassin's Guild vettes the contract and the grievances, and then executes the contract with extreme prejudice. The Assassin's Guild is secret and ubiquitous and competent. Perhaps FDEV can create such an NPC group as an adjunct to the Pilots Guild for the purpose of discretely settling the grievances between players. The intended effect would be to provide an organized and terrifying methodology. I expect that it would make griefers think twice if they thought that retribution would be swift and terrible.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast