Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 285

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Serious Question, Why cant we name and shame ?

  1. #76
    Originally Posted by valbarr View Post (Source)
    can anyone shed some light for me please ?
    Infamy.

    Please don't feed the trolls.

  2. #77
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Pretty much as has been said above - society has gone spineless. Everybody is too worried about everyone else, and has all but forgotten about themselves. We walk around miserable because we think if we're happy, someone else is not. And spending so much time worrying about those who are unwilling to worry about themselves, take care of themselves, entertain themselves, be happy themselves, makes everyone else miserable.

    We make up nonsense words, denigrate ourselves, abandon common sense because someone else might feel bad. And then we top off this giant s--t sundae with media sensationalism then put a big dingleberry on top of it by shaming anyone who questions what's wrong with this picture.

    Shame on all of us for allowing this to happen.
    Best post of the thread.

    I couldn't have said it better myself. SO MUCH REP to you Commander!

    Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post (Source)
    Because the world has gone soft. People get faux-offended at the drop of a hat, and there's always some child that wants to go and cry to their mummy because someone hurt their feelings.

    Seriously, Kelloggs needs to mix some concrete powder into their breakfast cereal, perhaps the world will harden up a bit...

    Z...
    A serious contender for best post. +Rep to you.

    Originally Posted by FalconFly View Post (Source)
    It's because ELITE and Frontier live in a "reverse world", almost Orwellian.

    Classic example :
    - Ganker harassing another Player and destroying the other Ship. Records footage for personal perverse satisfaction and posts the link (usually with attention-seeking Thread title) here in the Forum.

    Rating : fully okay, Frontier Forum rules fully support public display of antisocial behaviour and ridiculing victims.

    - the Person who got ganked and ridiculed in the public Video comes to the Forum, asks "Just got attacked 5 times in a row and destroyed by CMDR XXYYZZ for no apparent reason... Why? Can someone explain?"

    Rating : Moderation team instantly moves in and removes the CMDR Name, because that is considered Naming & Shaming. In fact, other pre-conditioned Forum Members will jump in and immediately report it.

    Utterly bizarre, isn't it? Talk about solid double-standards...
    As a side-effect, just like in-game, the "bad guys" who already hold every advantage in the books carry that advantage over even here into the Forum.
    In a sick way, that even kinda makes sense. Heavily perverted though, must say that. But all by itself, it's consequent and logical in its own sense.
    Another fine post. You also get a gold star on your report Commander.


    So much Rep to be given, so little time.

    I salute you Commanders! o7

  3. #78
    Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post (Source)
    Seriously, Kelloggs needs to mix some concrete powder into their breakfast cereal, perhaps the world will harden up a bit...

    Z...
    lol ironic comment considering this is exactly the opposite of why Kellogg created cornflakes in the 1st place


    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...of-Corn-Flakes

  4. #79
    Originally Posted by Globusdiablo View Post (Source)
    Infamy.

  5. #80
    Why is there no community response to this?

    Something like the fuel rats.

    Or A Team in space

    Basically a wing of players who when they receive a call from anyone just been griefed they go looking to pick up the bounty immediately.

    I believe the 'griefers' would support this solution as well - it's a fair solution adding to excitement in game.

    Immediate hunt response taking out wanted commanders.

    Obviously though game needs to change to set rebuy price at price of ship crime was committed in so they can't play the system.

  6. #81
    Originally Posted by daman View Post (Source)
    Why is there no community response to this?

    Something like the fuel rats.

    Or A Team in space

    Basically a wing of players who when they receive a call from anyone just been griefed they go looking to pick up the bounty immediately.

    I believe the 'griefers' would support this solution as well - it's a fair solution adding to excitement in game.

    Immediate hunt response taking out wanted commanders.
    The game mechanics and the netcode don't support it.

  7. #82
    Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    Why? You can already see who killed you from the Contacts list. Just make a note or take whatever other action you want from that.

    I got destroyed by a ship I couldn't even see on my way down to some ruins at one point. The only way I could find who did it was to check the contact list. Not that it really bothered me - I wouldn't be playing in Open if I were concerned about random encounters with psychopaths...
    Because the game compiling such a list surely wouldn't be difficult to code I would imagine (could be wrong), and I would prefer not to keep a separate out-of-game list. Let the game do it for us - perhaps it could even be coded to alert the player by tagging someone on the list as say "nemesis" in the hud (just for fun), in the same way NPCs are tagged "hostile", "wanted", "mission target" and so on.

    Just throwing it out there...

  8. #83
    Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    lol ironic comment considering this is exactly the opposite of why Kellogg created cornflakes in the 1st place


    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...of-Corn-Flakes
    Oh wow... I need to start Googling more stuff, that is fascinating!

    Z...

  9. #84
    Originally Posted by Jukelo View Post (Source)
    The game mechanics and the netcode don't support it.
    Maybe it is difficult but doable.

    And set up a website to keep a list of wanted commanders and their crimes completely separate to this forum.

    People can report in where last sighted etc.

  10. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #85
    Oh boy, one of these.

    Okay, let me try and tackle this one succinctly, because over the years I've answered it so many times... it has a tendency to run on.

    These forums are owned by us and are therefore our responsibility. In most countries, libel and defamation laws exist. While it may seem like a stretch for a gaming forum N&S to turn into real-world, actionable libel/defamation case, Zac and I have seen this happen in a previous placed we worked. By the time thee claims had been verified it was already too late and the victim of this case had already been seriously affected in their daily life. The rule has become standard across most communications platforms (public ones, at least) owned by companies and communities. There are enough examples of these things going South that it's just a good idea to have in place from the beginning.

    It's a form of harassment. As with all forms of harassment, they should be reported directly to Frontier so that we can take action where necessary.

    There are a few other reasons, but the above are the ones that really matter. The rest are subjective and have probably been discussed a number of times already throughout the years of these forums' existence.

    As far as in-game means to 'exact revenge' or to punish griefers and whatnot: that's a whole different subject from the OP and something that's actively being worked on with the Crime & Punishment systems that the dev team are working on currently. This might not resolve the issue all at once, but the idea is to create a fair way to make sure aggressors are appropriately punished.

    Tl;dr... the forums are owned by Frontier and it's our responsibility to make sure harassment, libel, illegal activities, etc. etc. don't occur here.

    Also... because we said so...? ;p

  11. #86
    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Oh boy, one of these.

    Okay, let me try and tackle this one succinctly, because over the years I've answered it so many times... it has a tendency to run on.

    These forums are owned by us and are therefore our responsibility. In most countries, libel and defamation laws exist. While it may seem like a stretch for a gaming forum N&S to turn into real-world, actionable libel/defamation case, Zac and I have seen this happen in a previous placed we worked. By the time thee claims had been verified it was already too late and the victim of this case had already been seriously affected in their daily life. The rule has become standard across most communications platforms (public ones, at least) owned by companies and communities. There are enough examples of these things going South that it's just a good idea to have in place from the beginning.

    It's a form of harassment. As with all forms of harassment, they should be reported directly to Frontier so that we can take action where necessary.

    There are a few other reasons, but the above are the ones that really matter. The rest are subjective and have probably been discussed a number of times already throughout the years of these forums' existence.

    As far as in-game means to 'exact revenge' or to punish griefers and whatnot: that's a whole different subject from the OP and something that's actively being worked on with the Crime & Punishment systems that the dev team are working on currently. This might not resolve the issue all at once, but the idea is to create a fair way to make sure aggressors are appropriately punished.

    Tl;dr... the forums are owned by Frontier and it's our responsibility to make sure harassment, libel, illegal activities, etc. etc. don't occur here.

    Also... because we said so...? ;p
    Oh so it's because of practical and legal concerns rather than a load of guff about political correctness and the world going soft. Cool, thought so.

  12. #87
    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Oh boy, one of these.

    Okay, let me try and tackle this one succinctly, because over the years I've answered it so many times... it has a tendency to run on.

    These forums are owned by us and are therefore our responsibility. In most countries, libel and defamation laws exist. While it may seem like a stretch for a gaming forum N&S to turn into real-world, actionable libel/defamation case, Zac and I have seen this happen in a previous placed we worked. By the time thee claims had been verified it was already too late and the victim of this case had already been seriously affected in their daily life. The rule has become standard across most communications platforms (public ones, at least) owned by companies and communities. There are enough examples of these things going South that it's just a good idea to have in place from the beginning.

    It's a form of harassment. As with all forms of harassment, they should be reported directly to Frontier so that we can take action where necessary.

    There are a few other reasons, but the above are the ones that really matter. The rest are subjective and have probably been discussed a number of times already throughout the years of these forums' existence.

    As far as in-game means to 'exact revenge' or to punish griefers and whatnot: that's a whole different subject from the OP and something that's actively being worked on with the Crime & Punishment systems that the dev team are working on currently. This might not resolve the issue all at once, but the idea is to create a fair way to make sure aggressors are appropriately punished.

    Tl;dr... the forums are owned by Frontier and it's our responsibility to make sure harassment, libel, illegal activities, etc. etc. don't occur here.

    Also... because we said so...? ;p
    In which case what difference does it make who posts these videos? Why is no action taken against those who are posting their videos attacking other commanders.

    Can that not also be harassment? One example was someone interdicting another commander about 6 times before the victim crashed.

    Could be argued to be a form of bullying.

  13. #88
    PC , but it those days are numbered, winning!

  14. #89
    Originally Posted by daman View Post (Source)
    In which case what difference does it make who posts these videos? Why is no action taken against those who are posting their videos attacking other commanders.

    Can that not also be harassment? One example was someone interdicting another commander about 6 times before the victim crashed.
    Did you report them? There have been some recently I almost reported, but decided that would be political correctness gone mad, or something

  15. #90
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Did you report them? There have been some recently I almost reported, but decided that would be political correctness gone mad, or something
    Their videos are all over the forum. I don't particularly care, but the sword should cut both ways.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast