Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I don't think 2.4 will fix Quince

Originally Posted by Herbrand View Post (Source)
    Quince should definitely be fixed. In a game with a balanced gameplay, there is no reason for other type of activities if one in particular is disproportionately more rewarding.

And don't come back with the trite "if you don't like it don't use it", as it is clearly affecting the game's balance.

Credits is an important part of the game's progression, and the economy has been fundamentally broken since Sothis because of mistakes like this one.
    Whatever gave you the idea that ED is a game with balanced gameplay? If you think Quince is making people too much money and you're therefore falling behind in whatever imagined race you think you're in, then grind Quince. Otherwise you're just complaining that X makes more money than Y and that's always been the case in ED.

Originally Posted by RedWizzard View Post (Source)
    Whatever gave you the idea that ED is a game with balanced gameplay? If you think Quince is making people too much money and you're therefore falling behind in whatever imagined race you think you're in, then grind Quince. Otherwise you're just complaining that X makes more money than Y and that's always been the case in ED.
    The point is not to "fall behind" because this ED is mostly a single player game. The problem is, that other activities feeling dull if there is an alternate "push here for money"-Button.

Originally Posted by lemny View Post (Source)
    The point is not to "fall behind" because this ED is mostly a single player game. The problem is, that other activities feeling dull if there is an alternate "push here for money"-Button.
    So if you say the point is not to fall behind, does that mean you don't want any way for others to catch up?

Yeah I get that. The only way around it really is to find other goals that motivate you, e.g. rank or engineer access or permits or some other in game goal or a personal goal that isn't really tracked in game (people didn't fly to the other side of the galaxy for the credits). I hate to bring up the "ED is not for you" cliche, but if nothing in the game is interesting to you unless it's earning you 30M credits an hour, well maybe ED just isn't entertaining enough for you.

Not to belabor the obvious, and I am at one of the grinding spots making 4-8 million an hour (I grind my way), it's not about the money. Maybe superpower rank for some but I am beyond caring about that.
    It's what money does for you in a game like this.

Been playing over two years with two careers with many restarts. In my "secondary career" I have a T9 (parked) and am grinding away in a T6. My goal? Money to buy a A/D-rated TradaConda.

Money does nothing for you. It's what money does for your gameplay. The ability to "play the game" with any ship, module, playstyle, you desire. With money I can explore, trade, mine, or do combat. It makes the game playable.

Don't mind starting over with nothing as shown by about 15 career wipes.
    But I am a bit of a ED geek. I have to believe the "average gamer", buying the game and visiting the Frontier store to keep the cash (and development) flowing, will not grind the "normal way" for money and rank for months/hundreds of hours to access game features that he/she bought the game for in the first place.

I don't have a pat answer for this dilemma unfortunately and the above is just my opinion. Have to believe the "hard core ED'er" is a small part of the player base - and a tapped out market.

Originally Posted by RedWizzard View Post (Source)
    Yeah I get that. The only way around it really is to find other goals that motivate you, e.g. rank or engineer access or permits or some other in game goal or a personal goal that isn't really tracked in game (people didn't fly to the other side of the galaxy for the credits). I hate to bring up the "ED is not for you" cliche, but if nothing in the game is interesting to you unless it's earning you 30M credits an hour, well maybe ED just isn't entertaining enough for you.
    Oh no, I am fine... when I discovered Quince, I have been far behind the point where credits matter. I had all ships, engineered the big 3 and a few others I love to the brim and have a billion credits on the bank... for me, Quince or other credit exploits don't break anything. But I am happy that I discovered such exploits not in my progression phase where I had a ton of fun gathering credits to A-rate my first python and made my way to my lovely Anaconda.

I am playing many genres on all platforms, but Elite is the only single game beside WoW back the days, where I spent over 1000h in. I love it...

Oh no, I am fine... when I discovered Quince, I have been far behind the point where credits matter. I had all ships, engineered the big 3 and a few others I love to the brim and have a billion credits on the bank... for me, Quince or other credit exploits don't break anything. But I am happy that I discovered such exploits not in my progression phase where I had a ton of fun gathering credits to A-rate my first python and made my way to my lovely Anaconda.

I am playing many genres on all platforms, but Elite is the only single game beside WoW back the days, where I spent over 1000h in. I love it...
    Agreed and Repped...

I was luck enough to have managed to miss all the exploits (the first one I missed was sitting on a Farragut and engaging FAW and go AFK for the evening.)
    I missed all the duplicating cargo exploits and all of the "press here for dosh" buttons such as the massacre missions etc.

That was until I was Combat Elite before getting my Anaconda (It took about a year to get that ship. I was so proud I bought a gold skin for at) then King and Admiral (By FAR the hardest ranking up in the game) which got me the Cutter which allowed me to attain trade elite without going insane..... Now I had the big 3 and the fear of Engineers was upon us, I made it around the galaxy in an unengineered Asp which then got me Explorer Elite.

My first "Exploit" was the crazy and wonderful Morai CG that netted 400MCr... for the top 10%
    I rushed back to get that.

That sort of cash meant that I could then kit out any small or medium ship I wanted, how I wanted.

So I kitted out my awesome Type 6 and headed back out into the black.

I only bothered with Quince and CEOS etc so that I could have multiple different high end engineered components with different effects like efficient/overcharged...etc.
    No way I was going reengineer something each time I wanted a different potion.

In my case I've had far more fun learning how to take advantage of the various "exploits" (seeking luxuries, early rares trading, robigo, quince, etc) then I ever did simply trade grinding for credits. But the vast majority of my time in the game has been spent on activities that aren't very lucrative: searching for unknown artefacts, mapping the galaxy (back when we had to do it manually), figuring out the guardian ruins and the unknown structures, general exploring and sight-seeing. Perhaps my preference for these other activities is partly why I'm happy to take advantage of a situation like Quince and don't see it as a problem.

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post (Source)
    Not to belabor the obvious, and I am at one of the grinding spots making 4-8 million an hour (I grind my way), it's not about the money. Maybe superpower rank for some but I am beyond caring about that.
    It's what money does for you in a game like this.

Been playing over two years with two careers with many restarts. In my "secondary career" I have a T9 (parked) and am grinding away in a T6. My goal? Money to buy a A/D-rated TradaConda.

Money does nothing for you. It's what money does for your gameplay. The ability to "play the game" with any ship, module, playstyle, you desire. With money I can explore, trade, mine, or do combat. It makes the game playable.

Don't mind starting over with nothing as shown by about 15 career wipes.
    But I am a bit of a ED geek. I have to believe the "average gamer", buying the game and visiting the Frontier store to keep the cash (and development) flowing, will not grind the "normal way" for money and rank for months/hundreds of hours to access game features that he/she bought the game for in the first place.

I don't have a pat answer for this dilemma unfortunately and the above is just my opinion. Have to believe the "hard core ED'er" is a small part of the player base - and a tapped out market.
    I think all ships should earn at an optimal rate. Combat ships get to use all their guns. Trade ships can fill their cargo holds. Mission ships, though, are almost forced to run around with their capacity hilariously under-utilized.

You look for a mission, and there's 10-20 of them. Most of them just spew out in random directions, in most systems. You can't pick one good mission, and then pick up a few small missions to fill the rest of your hold, and a few bulk passengers to fill your cabin. Instead, you MAYBE get a couple extra missions to the same station if you're REALLY lucky, or there's a famine or something. Or some near-worthless data missions.

You can fill your spare cargo with commodity, sure, but without a REAL trade route, the rate of return on that is barely worth the clicking to buy the stuff.

So, a new player gets bigger ships, and the earning barely goes up. Many people who get used to missions will very likely just get bored and go play something else. People playing something else rarely buy skins for games they're not playing.

I think Quince has its Legitimation. There are enough warning on the Forums regarding using Quince and burn out. Use it at your own risk. But if credits are not your Goal in this game, you might as well gather them as quickly as possible so you can Switch to occupations you truly fancy. Paradoxally, if Money IS your Goal in this game, don't do this, because you'll have played through the game in no time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345