Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: 2.4 The Return - Response to release date speculation!

Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    Hyperbole levels turned up to 11.
    I noticed that too...there's a complete disconnect when it comes to understanding how much work coding involves. There's 25 GIGABYTES of game in the install folder, and though the removal of the 32-bit version looks like it'll shave 10 of those off, that's still a huge amount of code. It's a common problem anyone in an IT field runs into - people don't see/don't understand what's being done, so they assume "nothing's being done." But after looking over the patch notes, and understanding what I do about code...that's a lot of work already. Just the detangling from the 32-bit version probably involved a lot.

People want it now, now, now, but if it's buggy they complain about flawed/incomplete products getting rushed to market...

When the 2.4 Beta was released, I expected 2 weeks closed & 2 weeks open. As it turns out, it was only 1 week for each, so waiting another 2 weeks for release doesn't fuss me too much-even if I may have wanted it sooner. Just so long as it comes out within the Q3 time frame promised by FDev, then I'll be happy. As for all this ridiculous talk about the Expo announcing the 2.4 release date, extremely unlikely given that the expo isn't until well into October.

Had FDev decided to release it within 7 days, & it had been buggy & broken, all those complaining about the delay would no doubt be complaining about that instead.

Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    Had FDev decided to release it within 7 days, & it had been buggy & broken, all those complaining about the delay would no doubt be complaining about that instead.
    I agree.

Hey! What's that coming over the hill.... !?

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Normally the livestreams are on youtube, so should be around for a while.
    If you want to sit through and watch a long live stream... many of us don't.

I'd much prefer having a summary here that I can read.
    Playing ED on an LG 34UC88, 34" 21:9 Curved UltraWide WQHD Monitor ● Core i7 3.4GHz 4930K ● 32GB 2133MHz DDR3 RAM ● GeForce GTX 980 ● Samsung 512GB 840 EVO SSD

My wish list of new features for Elite: Dangerous can be read HERE

Originally Posted by jefranklin18 View Post (Source)
    At the rate of progress so far, the expo is just going to be announcing the release date for 2.4.

I'm seriously starting to lose faith that ED is in anything other than maintenance mode and everything is strung out to build the hype for relatively little.
    Lol and at Frontier Expo they'll announce Atmospheric Landings and space legs for 2020.

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    Lol and at Frontier Expo they'll announce Atmospheric Landings and space legs for 2020.
    Which would not only fit into the one major update per year/season time frame, but be welcome by a lot of players. Yes please.
    "Foxtrott-Romeo-Alpha" - CMDR Francis G. Blackly - Soldier of Fortune since 3270
    Pilot of the Asp Explorer
    "DSE Cayetano Valdès" <- Click for Coriolis Data
    Be a commander, fly a spaceship, live the adventure.

Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    Hahaha, By that time it will be the year 3303 before you know it...
    Proudly Flying as "CMDR SPACE HAMBURGER"

Well we've waited near on 3 years for them, im sure we can wait a few more weeks. I dont really care when it drops, Im way out on the edge of the outer arm be nice to get the extended route plotting tho.

Thanks for the info, though it's more news about news.
    'Once OS X has been updated to support OpenGL compute shaders, or other technical options are available to us, we will certainly be very keen on supporting that platform.'

Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the info, though it's more news about news.
    They can't win. Game has to be released asap with lots of information about what's in it and zero bugs. If not it's 'late' and 'unplayable' with FDev 'not communicating' with its player base.

Live stream on my Birthday
    #

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    They can't win. Game has to be released asap with lots of information about what's in it and zero bugs. If not it's 'late' and 'unplayable' with FDev 'not communicating' with its player base.
    On some subjects FDev can be as silent as the grave. macOS Horizons for example, not a peep since December 2015.
    'Once OS X has been updated to support OpenGL compute shaders, or other technical options are available to us, we will certainly be very keen on supporting that platform.'

Welp. Thats a 9 months delay in the delivery of season 2. And i feel it myself - its the first time in 3 years I stopped playing daily because there´s no perspective of what is coming in future updates (and when).

Neues deutsches Forum: www.elite-commanders.de
    Mark Allen: "While it's true that the PvP crowd do tend to be more vocal and in previous betas have given more organised feedback, we're well aware that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP." (22nd of Nov, 2016)

Originally Posted by Lucifera Danzig View Post (Source)
    People want it now, now, now, but if it's buggy they complain about flawed/incomplete products getting rushed to market...
    What I'm getting I paid for five, five, five years ago, so I think a certain amount of patience has been exercised.

Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post (Source)
    On some subjects FDev can be as silent as the grave. macOS Horizons for example, not a peep since December 2015.
    There was a statement a long time ago that they cannot get it up and running due to graphics engine restriction on Mac. Sad thing but that's the excuse used.

Beeing late a couple of months was a result of resource restrictions. It seems to be more difficuilt to hire talented programmers in Britain. Maybe its even getting harder
    to attract EU Citizens to come and work for FD because of the political unstable background after government announced to leave EU. Then FD is running two other big
    projects and finally the tricky Detail to have attention of in Regards to Season 1 backward compatibility and maybe some underestimation what it needs
    to get a season out of the door. All this adds days and weeks and let to the decision to give up Seasons.
    Its easy to understand and I agree its dissapointing to some extent.

In a realstic view and the roumors went through the forum (I read a couple of weeks in this forum FD started to go for Season 3) I am expecting a Sea... uhmm Version 3
    not before easter nex year. Any surprises are welcome.

Regards,
    Miklos
    You can't treat a computer like humans; a computer needs love.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast