Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: [Livestreams] Questions and Answers Thread

Originally Posted by Shanaeri View Post (Source)
    I disagree. It just adds another layer of "busy work" and performing repeated actions for the sake of it, rather than because it rewards skill. Instead of doing what they enjoyed it'd be a sisyphean task of no fun for the player.
    Indeed.

Arguably if module degradation of the type mentioned (i.e. performance) were to be a thing then it would apply to all modules - not just Engineered modules.

I disagree. It just adds another layer of "busy work" and performing repeated actions for the sake of it, rather than because it rewards skill. Instead of doing what they enjoyed it'd be a sisyphean task of no fun for the player.
    Who you calling a sissy

Everyone has to repair their ship anyway. Even if you take no damage on your modules, your ship integrity will degrade over time. How does having to repair modules that have been tampered with so they operate outside their normal parameters "add another layer of "busy work"". Unless you're saying we should remove Ship Integrity degrading because it doesn't reward skill and isn't fun.

Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Indeed.

Arguably if module degradation of the type mentioned (i.e. performance) were to be a thing then it would apply to all modules - not just Engineered modules.
    One of the commonly stated downsides of overclocking a PC or chipping a cars ECU is that it can shorten the life of components, or at least put them closer to their design limit. If integrity were to be applied to modules it would make some sense that modified modules might have significantly increased degradation.

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    One of the commonly stated downsides of overclocking a PC or chipping a cars ECU is that it can shorten the life of components, or at least put them closer to their design limit. If integrity were to be applied to modules it would make some sense that modified modules might have significantly increased degradation.
    That would equally apply to A-grade modules compared to E-grade modules, in my opinion - same weight, different performance.

That would equally apply to A-grade modules compared to E-grade modules, in my opinion - same weight, different performance.
    You have a point, but it could go the other way too. An A-graded module is a higher quality product than an E-rated one rather than just one with different specs. It could therefore make some sense that if you modify an E-rated module it might lose integrity more quickly than an A-rated one. Several factors could interplay, potentially giving complex results from a few simple parameters.

Although that said, I guess the natural progression is probably to first A-rate important modules, then to engineer the A-rated module so depending on the actual usage stats there might not be much benefit to spending time on the difference between modules.

Not really a AMD K6 isn't different from a Octacore CPU in terms of length of life but if you over clock them it shorten's life

Originally Posted by EdzUp View Post (Source)
    Not really a AMD K6 isn't different from a Octacore CPU in terms of length of life but if you over clock them it shorten's life
    That's (possibly) comparing apples and oranges - my observation would relate to Grade E modules being lower clocked versions of the Grade A modules - both of the same series and generation - more like a 1700 vs an 1800X.

That's (possibly) comparing apples and oranges - my observation would relate to Grade E modules being lower clocked versions of the Grade A modules - both of the same series and generation - more like a 1700 vs an 1800X.
    Not really as they are both CPU's just different grades, it just means A grade ones are higher spec than E grade ones. Over clocking or "engineering" them would shorten the life of the item.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    Who you calling a sissy

Everyone has to repair their ship anyway. Even if you take no damage on your modules, your ship integrity will degrade over time. How does having to repair modules that have been tampered with so they operate outside their normal parameters "add another layer of "busy work"". Unless you're saying we should remove Ship Integrity degrading because it doesn't reward skill and isn't fun.
    I was thinking you meant needing to re-engineer modules as they degrade. Besides, we already have a mechanic in place for module degradation and damage. Integrity doesn't just act as 'armor' for a module it also has an effect on module damage, so in a sense it's already in place.

Even if wear and tear was just a click to fix, like ship wide wear and tear it doesn't really serve any purpose. It's just a "tax" for using your ship and playing the game and adds no real gameplay or skill. Just pay the money and carry on.

I was thinking you meant needing to re-engineer modules as they degrade. Besides, we already have a mechanic in place for module degradation and damage. Integrity doesn't just act as 'armor' for a module it also has an effect on module damage, so in a sense it's already in place.

Even if wear and tear was just a click to fix, like ship wide wear and tear it doesn't really serve any purpose. It's just a "tax" for using your ship and playing the game and adds no real gameplay or skill. Just pay the money and carry on.
    Oh no, I don't think either EdzUp or I were thinking that harsh, just that if you're forcing something to run outside of it's normal parameters then simply using it would put extra strain on the module and so it would require a bit more upkeep. I completely agree about the integrity point.

Maybe it doesn't serve any real purpose outside of a plausible addition for the extra stresses and strains, maybe just another layer of realism in a game that's rapidly losing what it had.

I think if the module hit 0% and ya get killed the rebuy should be much higher to replace them after all these are one off modules. Being one of a kind I find it strange that insurers would insure a item that has been tampered with and any warranty invalidated.

I think if the module hit 0% and ya get killed the rebuy should be much higher to replace them after all these are one off modules. Being one of a kind I find it strange that insurers would insure a item that has been tampered with and any warranty invalidated.
    I'd certainly agree with that - as it might introduce a financial consideration into Engineering with regard to rebuy.

.... maybe 1% to 2% on to the module rebuy cost - per Grade?

I'd certainly agree with that - as it might introduce a financial consideration into Engineering with regard to rebuy.

Yeah sound's like a good idea but no more than 5% would certainly make people think before attacking things

Yeah sound's like a good idea but no more than 5% would certainly make people think before attacking things
    TBH I’d be willing to accept even a 100% insurance cost increase for grade 5 mods…

Any one ever have issues with going from unwanted status to wanted the second you drop into any Resource site. For days now I will have no wanted status, but the second i drop into any res site in any system anywhere, I instantly turn wanted. I have no cargo, am not shooting at anyone and have not even deployed my weapons.

If anyone has any ideas I would be most appreciative.

btw, I do have one bounty for 8k on my head in a system 124ly away that has 4 days left on it. Could that cause me to go from no wanted status to wanted in a res site?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456