Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Avoid Crashing into a Rotating Station when trying to get through the Letter Slot?

Figure out how your pips work, then put 4 pips to shields and 2 to weapons. That does two things: Your shields will be much stronger, so they'll protect you when you crash into anything; secondly, with no pips on your engines, your ship will react much more slowly to your controls, so it's much easier to control. That's specially important when you try to land on the pad. if you too many pips on your engines, the ship will scoot all over the place - everywhere but where you want it to go.
    Trade Rank: Elite Explorer Rank: Elite Combat Rank: Elite Federal Navy Rank: Admiral Imperial Navy Rank: King Crew Rank: Elite Kills: 92973

Originally Posted by Baldrake View Post (Source)
    I see videos of people smoothly swooping into the landing bay and can only be envious. I get the ship down, but sometimes it's ugly.

Smoothly is boring, UGLY is the new black!

Sorry, really couldn't resist ;-)
    * KARMA system, not "SJW-be-good-or-else-system" - make your actions matter as a career path!
    * Invested playtime vs risk imbalance - KARMA proposal

You can be anything you want in E: D. Murder-hobo or a paladin of virtue. Too bad the available tools for interaction greatly weight towards the "murder-hobo" role.
    The best description of the whole Horizons season I've read to date, by cmdr Kaocraft
    Vive or Rift?

Originally Posted by StarLightPL View Post (Source)

Smoothly is boring, UGLY is the new black!

https://youtu.be/yqF1SZWkBfU

Sorry, really couldn't resist ;-)
    Now let's see it without the training wheels...
    Cmdr Shivvy
    Pilots' Federation Academy, Class of '84
    More of my posts can be found at Facebook, Google+,Mastodon, Tumblr, Twitter, and Wordpress

Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    Now let's see it without the training wheels...
    Training wheels!? LOL.

Once you have docking down .. the docking computer .. is a quality of life feature!

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    the docking computer .. is a quality of life feature!
    That it is, my good man! Dukes of the Empire use slaves (biological or mechanical) for menial tasks of lining up the pad ;-)
    * KARMA system, not "SJW-be-good-or-else-system" - make your actions matter as a career path!
    * Invested playtime vs risk imbalance - KARMA proposal

You can be anything you want in E: D. Murder-hobo or a paladin of virtue. Too bad the available tools for interaction greatly weight towards the "murder-hobo" role.
    The best description of the whole Horizons season I've read to date, by cmdr Kaocraft
    Vive or Rift?

Originally Posted by Brazin View Post (Source)
    I'm doing the Docking and Travel training tutorial and I'm having loads of trouble figuring out how to get through the mail slot when the station (is that what it's called?) is rotating. It rotates so fast that I cannot even come close to the slot. I will either bounce off the station and eventually crash my ship or I will completely miss the slot as it spins past me. I have found a control setting that sounds as though you should be able to use it to toggle something that helps navigate whilst everything is rotating but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make it help me in anyway.

I don't mind a large learning curve for a sim but the more I try ED the less I am enjoying it because of my frustration with certain aspects of it. I am feeling like I need a "Newbie" setting to make tings easier for this old man!
    As the more experienced commanders are telling you, practice. It doesn't come any easier than that. Go to the training mission and perform the docking mission over and over again. That's what I did. I had many hours under my belt with FSX, so that may have given me some sort of edge, but not much (since airports don't spin in circles).

Here is my noobish way of approaching and docking at a station:

Full speed ahead until approximately 10.0m away, then cut ship speed down to 100.

Approach station, applying minor yaw, pitch, and roll changes as needed, and line up with the slot approximately 5.0m out.

Continue a level approach, reducing speed to 50 when finally passing the advertisment screens. Keep using your roll as needing, but you will enter the station fairly quickly. Remember to have a level approach before getting to the advertising screens.

Once you're inside the station, reduce speed to 25, get out of everyone's way, and land safely.

Like I said, practice and use the docking mission tutorial numerous times (yes, that may be boring, but you'll be better for investing the time).

P.S. Try planetary landings too. Cool way of doing something different and enjoying ED as well.

It also does help to keep your distance - I find - before you turn in towards the station / slot.
    Gives you more time to line up.

The training mission drops you less than 10KM away from the station and at an offset. This is to encourage you to learn how to orient the ship.

I recorded a quick video to illustrate what people say about controlling yaw and lining yourself up. I also included an illustration of how small ships can fit through the slot in any orientation if you line it up right. Also included (not deliberately!) is an illustration of how it's best not to panic when you forget to deploy your landing gear. More than 3,000 hours and I still forget. :/

*edit*

By the way, I think you're talking about rotational correction. For the love of all that is good and proper in the world, do not turn it off in a station and try to dock.

夏草や
    兵どもが
    夢の跡
    Summer grass
    All that remains
    of young warriors' dreams

i7-6700K @4.4GHz -- Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! -- 16GB DDR4-3000 -- Asrock z170 Extreme IV -- Iiyama 32" 1080p -- OSVR HDK2 -- X52 Pro -- 3DConnexion Space Explorer

Watching that video reminded me that having the dot at the center of your windshield is very helpful when you're a beginner. I never used it though, so maybe someone can chime in here to instruct OP how to enable it?

Having played for 2 weeks and just climbed into a T7, getting them through the rotating Pillar box is interesting.

1 thing I watch for is the lines circling the inside of the blue entrance bit.
    I want to see the lines both top and bottom. if they are obscured top then you are too high, if obscured below then too low.

Defiantly use my thrusters on HOTAS helps rather than stick.

Above is probably as clear as mud

Little bit of left stick as you approach the mail-slot to match the rotation of the station. I am guessing (since you are new) that you are in the Sidewinder. The Sidey can go through the slot sideways (it's not as big as you think) so do not worry about lining up the rotation so much in that ship, just aim for the middle and let the station rotate around you.

To know if you are centered in front of the mail-slot, use the blinking, red lights on those big antenna-looking thingies sticking out from the rear of the dock. If I can see those red, blinking lights from outside the station then I am pretty well lined up!

Practice, it gets easier. Just wait until you blow up your first Anaconda trying to get her through the slot! o7

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    Well you say that but actually - it's not so bad with the mouse tool because you can match rotation with the station and then let go, you'll stay on rotation.
    Yeah but you can't blend in more complex manoeuvrers so easily, I can power slide a Corvette into the slot not through any great skill but because I can control the inertia better on all axis with discreet controls much like a helicopter pilot. You can come round and try it if you want, bring beer

The best way to learn to dock in Elite: Dangerous is to get a copy of the original Elite and learn to dock in that. Hey presto, you'll be able to dock in Elite: Dangerous with the greatest of ease!

Only kidding, even though it's kinda true!

Anyway, lots of good advice from other cmdrs already, so here's some additional bits from me.

When you're learning, follow what others have suggested and start a reasonable way out from the station, but close enough that you can see through the mailslot into the station. Set your throttle to zero. Using your thrusters, adjust your position until you can see the circle at the back of the station, and then adjust so that the red lights in the middle of the circle are dead center in the mailslot, and the blue dot on your screen is in the middle of the lights. You're now aligned directly along the centreline of the station. All you have to do now is go straight ahead. You don't even have to bother matching rotation with the station if you've got a small ship. It's best to do it though for the practice for bigger ships. Don't be harsh with the action when trying to match the rotation, just be light and gentle on the controls and you should be fine. (You can see the circle, the lights and the dot that I'm talking about at 52s on the video the100thmonkey posted btw.)

If even being very gentle on your controls results in too much rotation then have a play with the settings in the options menu. You should be able to adjust the deadzone and power curve until you find something that works for you. Just don't overdo it on those adjustments, because getting them set optimally for docking might not be great for other parts of the game.

Once you've got the hang of that and can enter the station easily on the centre line, then you should be fine in the main game. Just be careful at busy stations. Once you're a bit more comfortable with flight in general then move on to entering off the centre line, to the side of the green light.

It'll all get easier with practice as others have said.

Best of luck! o7

Originally Posted by Thatchinho View Post (Source)
    The best way to learn to dock in Elite: Dangerous is to get a copy of the original Elite and learn to dock in that. Hey presto, you'll be able to dock in Elite: Dangerous with the greatest of ease!
    I still have the ZX Spectrum if you need to borrow. But my Tape recorder with it's masking tape marks on the volume slider has eroded (literally).

BUT then again you could try an emulator. I think you have it for mobile now.

Sorry off topic.

But seriously. 1 cup of concrete with caffeine and get on it..

Originally Posted by FizzerUK View Post (Source)
    1 thing I watch for is the lines circling the inside of the blue entrance bit.
    I want to see the lines both top and bottom. if they are obscured top then you are too high, if obscured below then too low.

You do realise that there are three lights in a horizontal row or a triangle at the far end of the inside of the station to help you line-up centrally to the slot?

BTW I believe that you made an error in your image link, it doesn't display in your post (well not to me anyway).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast