Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mining still useless and broken?

Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post (Source)
    Limpets completely halts? I've not had that, what do you mean?
    They're not broken, but they will grab materials like iron or nickel even if your material storage is full. Once they grab the materials, the limpets just sit and wait for you to clear room for the material. If a 'roid gives off more than 3 materials, you can severely hamper your collection speed.

Originally Posted by Tall_Toot View Post (Source)
    Apart from a button that allows bins to be 'fixed' for a given material and then automatically disposes of any unwanted materials, mining seems fine to me?
    I haven't mined yet but it is on my list of things to do. But even having not done mining yet I have to agree with you Toot. There there should be a way to automatically dispose of unwanted waist.

Chief

Originally Posted by NascentChemist View Post (Source)
    They're not broken, but they will grab materials like iron or nickel even if your material storage is full. Once they grab the materials, the limpets just sit and wait for you to clear room for the material. If a 'roid gives off more than 3 materials, you can severely hamper your collection speed.
    Ahh right, got ya, yeah I've had that happen many times, yes it's bloody annoying! lol

Originally Posted by z33r0x View Post (Source)
    I guess they have not then. There is no engineering available for miners and I would like to see the option to engineer prospector limpets that increase amount in the asteroid by up to 500% at grade 5. And also, if you are like me, having capped storage for materials and data, it becomes a real hassle to have to discard materials all the time, or the limpets just completly halts. There is no way to enjoy a mining run in my opinion, as soon as you start to relax, it's time to find a new rock.
    You are not making sense. You've asked whether it's still broken? When was it broken and how?

Then you simply ask just to get 500% more materials? despite the fact it is easy to make millions an hour mining. Have you been spoiled with exploits such as Quince by any chance?

Yes, mining could do with more love - as could nearly all parts of the core mechanics, although not necessarily about making more money - just more variety. It's not broken.

Originally Posted by Arthur Shappey View Post (Source)
    You are not making sense. You've asked whether it's still broken? When was it broken and how?

Then you simply ask just to get 500% more materials? despite the fact it is easy to make millions an hour mining. Have you been spoiled with exploits such as Quince by any chance?

Yes, mining could do with more love - as could nearly all parts of the core mechanics, although not necessarily about making more money - just more variety. It's not broken.
    Just hyperbole, you should be used to the forums by now. Mining is neither useless or broken.

I didn't have time to test out the 2.4 been busy with work. Im wondering, is there any improvements to mining yet or is it as always, Frontier doesnt prioritize it?
    broken no... unprofitable compared to other activities yes!.

Its something i do from time to time (i even have a dedicated mining ship) but other than the odd CG which insists on mined goods only (which i wish we had more of them to give mining real purpose) there is no real reason to mine outside of fun (fun is a good reason tho). if you have a "good" mining ship chances are its a good trading ship and you can make more money trading than mining.

there are lots of things FD could do (allow us to deploy mining gear then after a time fly back and collect like lobster pots etc) which would be fun and profitable... but imo the 1 easy thing they could do, is allow our npc crew person to do mining. sure it would not have to be as efficient as if we did it ourselves.... but if i could trust my npc crew to mine (i would set the materials i want in my hoppers all the rest get vented) then allow me to prospect with an SLF so i can pick the asteroids AND allow me to defend my mining ship in said SLF, this would make mining fun and profitable....

rebalance RES sites so they become RES sites and not pirate farming.... so basically a few pirates to give the SLF something to do, but few enough to allow mining to occur with the increase "loot " you get from an RES and i think thatg would be a good start.

I didn't have time to test out the 2.4 been busy with work. Im wondering, is there any improvements to mining yet or is it as always, Frontier doesnt prioritize it?
    What is useless and broken about it in the first place? I have done some mining recently. Seemed to work fine. It could be more involved, but that doesn't mean broken and uselss.

Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    Sorry Mad Mike, need to stop you there. You can't say it is unprofitable compared to other activities. That means that it doesn't make any money at all. Does it make as much profit as other activities, not generally, but you can strike it lucky at times and make a shed load in a small amount of time.

What you should of said, is that most of the time, it is not as profitable as other activities, but is a perfectly viable way of making money if you enjoy it.

unprofitable compared to other activities yes!.
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    most of the time, it is not as profitable as other activities
    Allow me to quote my link up there with an appropriate title.

Originally Posted by YinYin View Post (Source)
    It's neither unprofitable compared to other activities nor luck.

there are lots of things FD could do (allow us to deploy mining gear then after a time fly back and collect like lobster pots etc) which would be fun and profitable... but imo the 1 easy thing they could do, is allow our npc crew person to do mining. sure it would not have to be as efficient as if we did it ourselves.... but if i could trust my npc crew to mine (i would set the materials i want in my hoppers all the rest get vented) then allow me to prospect with an SLF so i can pick the asteroids AND allow me to defend my mining ship in said SLF, this would make mining fun and profitable....

rebalance RES sites so they become RES sites and not pirate farming.... so basically a few pirates to give the SLF something to do, but few enough to allow mining to occur with the increase "loot " you get from an RES and i think thatg would be a good start.
    Apart from the mining fighter (don't ever call that an easy thing to do again) you are asking for lots of things that are already technically true.

Allow me to quote my link up there with an appropriate title.

It's neither unprofitable compared to other activities nor luck.

Apart from the mining fighter (don't ever call that an easy thing to do again) you are asking for lots of things that are already technically true.
    that is some really cool info and sorry if i hit a nerve, i was not meaning to....... all that sounds great but its unavaliable for those who do not mine in a group. still really good info,

i still think our ai crew person should be able to mine however and let us man the slf if we wanted.... AFAIK there is no way to do that.

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    Sorry Mad Mike, need to stop you there. You can't say it is unprofitable compared to other activities. That means that it doesn't make any money at all. Does it make as much profit as other activities, not generally, but you can strike it lucky at times and make a shed load in a small amount of time.

What you should of said, is that most of the time, it is not as profitable as other activities, but is a perfectly viable way of making money if you enjoy it.
    ok poor wording on my part, and YinYin has shown it can be rather profitable in a group. i just dont see how it would work solo, as mining in a haz res, not sure i could last 5 mins on my own, but that said i will give it a go .

i still think our ai crew person should be able to mine however and let us man the slf if we wanted.... AFAIK there is no way to do that.
    I really want that too.

it can be rather profitable in a group. i just dont see how it would work solo, as mining in a haz res, not sure i could last 5 mins on my own, but that said i will give it a go .
    It's not limited to groups. Chad there advises you to yield to pirates. The few tons of junk you drop them (and have to drop anyway to make space) pale in comparison to what you can make. Not to mention right now you can actually recollect what you drop and the pirates will still leave happy.

Alternatively if you're too greedy, you can use security patrolled extraction sites. The fragment bonus is the same, they'll just have respectively fewer high value asteroids and weaker pirates.

Broken? No.

Useless? No. In fact, if you have patience and love doing it, it can be extremely profitable. I wish (for rngeers) Missions for mining would give better Material\Data and CR rewards but in it itself, it is a pure profit job.

I remember (because it was the longest job) doing mining for Selene Jean and after a while when I got used to what is going on it was fun actually. Not as glorious as combat ofc but fun going from one asteroid to another and listening\watching the cute limpets

Anyway, later I did mining for CGs and some even for my own. Good thing. There is always room for improvement but mining is fine.

Its something i do from time to time (i even have a dedicated mining ship) but other than the odd CG which insists on mined goods only (which i wish we had more of them to give mining real purpose) there is no real reason to mine outside of fun (fun is a good reason tho). if you have a "good" mining ship chances are its a good trading ship and you can make more money trading than mining.

rebalance RES sites so they become RES sites and not pirate farming.... so basically a few pirates to give the SLF something to do, but few enough to allow mining to occur with the increase "loot " you get from an RES and i think that would be a good start.
    Yep agreed, btw in Elite 2 & 3 (think it was both, def 1 of them) you could deploy mining machinery on planets, leave it there to extract metals etc & come back later to retrieve the goodies , assuming it hadn't been found by a lucky pirate who happened to stumble across it! (that was the game lore anyway, not sure if the game mechanics actually made that possible). So some in FD at least are certainly aware of this idea.

I really want that too.

It's not limited to groups. Chad there advises you to yield to pirates. The few tons of junk you drop them (and have to drop anyway to make space) pale in comparison to what you can make. Not to mention right now you can actually recollect what you drop and the pirates will still leave happy.

Alternatively if you're too greedy, you can use security patrolled extraction sites. The fragment bonus is the same, they'll just have respectively fewer high value asteroids and weaker pirates.
    Actually, pirates now ask for specific cargo. I've had a few of them ask for half my painite.

I'll try out the "drop cargo to appease" and then re collect trick tonight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast